“Motorcycle trip home base for 5 days”

AmericInn Grand Rapids
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Champlin, Minnesota
“Motorcycle trip home base for 5 days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

My wife and I travel a lot and stay in many places here in the United States as well as Europe and many other foreign counties. After our stay a Grand Rapids AmericInn, we concluded the General Manager, Lori Whitted and her staff Angie, Jessica and the others were the most kindest, thoughtful, thorough and professional hotel staff we have dealt with in decades.

I even received a very nice card in the mail, a week after getting home, from Angie. She said the staff really enjoyed our visit, four couples, and said they were thankful we had a great time and the weather cooperated for our daily motorcycling outings. Angie also wish me the best for a medical issue I will be dealing with next week, August 18, 2011. Thank you for such a wonderful, memorable time at your hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Rogers
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

This was the best hotel we've stayed at. We have stayed at many hotels & this was far the best. From the Manager Lori, to the staff, Angie, Jessica made us feel really special & took really good care of us. The place was exceptionally clean & well cared for. We went with 3 other couples on a cycle ride & stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. They made us some goodie bags for a day trip we had planned. We give this a 5 star rating***** Dan & Jackie, Rogers

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Djfred088
Bemidji, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

We were awakened at 5:00 a.m. by the neighboing room running the water for their jacuzzi. We were both were startled awake thinking that a water pipe or something had burst - it sounded like a train coming. Not knowing what the noise was we called the front desk to ask what had happened but as we were talking with them the noise stopped so we hung up. The noise continued on and off for the next couple of hours.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CTSMan
americinngr, General Manager at AmericInn Grand Rapids, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
Our goal here at the Americinn is that all of our guest get a good nights sleep. It is unfortunate that you did not .We have investigated your complaint but did not find the reason for the noise , nor have we had any similar complaints .This fall we are doing some renovations in our rooms that we are excited about and would like if you are ever in our area, that you would give us another try.We hope to see you again sometime.
SAINT LOUIS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2010

I've stayed in quite a few AmericInn hotels on my travels. They are nothing fancy, but I know I'll get a reasonable nights sleep because they put effort into interior sound insulation. My stay in this hotel however proved that their insulation does have its limits. My neighbor was playing the television so loudly that even turning the window fan on could not drown it out. This was surprising to me given the fact that the tv set in my room was tiny. I haven't seen one that tiny since the 80s. But had it not been for my unpleasant neighbor, I still would have been unhappy with my "standard" room. It was by far the smallest I've stayed in at an AmericInn -- small even by New York standards. You could barely turn around in the bathroom. Also, there very little water pressure in the shower. And the furniture was cheap and quite worn. A rather depressing effect, all in all.
However, because of my noisy neighbor, I asked to be moved, and the person at the front desk was quite apologetic and accommodating. I was not only moved but upgraded to a "king" room. This was like night and day -- almost twice as large, with a newer fan with digital controls, a more comfortable bed, and a reasonable television.
So my advice is never to reserve a standard room. The king room not doubt costs more, and one has other options in that price range like the adjacent Timberlake Lodge or the Country Inn and Suite - both of which are newer and with nicer furnishings.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank ArtVoyager
In the fall/ winter 2011 season we here at the Americinn will be doing some renovations on our guest rooms and would love for you to give us another try if you are in our area again. We hope to see you again.
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

The Room that I stayed in was very clean and tighty. I really liked the setup in the room itself. I am very happy to say that eventhough the motel was pretty full it was peaceful and nobody was being loud. I like the location because It is right next to a movie store and places to eat within walking distance. What I liked the best was how clean and the setup of the room. What I would have changed would be that I would improve the breakfast by giving I better verity. I really a enjoyed my stay and I will be back to stay again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HOLLYANN14
elks
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

Would not take a hockey group again at this hotel, had special "hockey rules" Do you have special rules for all other sports teams?? We felt discriminated against. I am a non smoker, I booked late, so that is what i got, I requested a non smoking room if one became available. One would think you would try to make the room as smoke free as possible or at least offer air freshner. I burned candles, had a plug in air freshener as well as sprayed febreeze to still go home smelling like a smoky bar-horrible! We had a late game on Sunday, asked for a late checkout of 12noon, the old lady at the front desk was rude and said no, I have never been turned down for this before, you can't tell me all the other rooms would have been clean by 12Noon, a place to gather would have been nice if offered, but it wasn't. Did not feel welcomed, the evening very pregnant gal was very nice, everyone else was rude! I will not stay or recommend this place ever again!

• Liked — continental breakfast, even though it was picked over by 9am
  • Disliked — smokey room
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank gohockey
We are under new management and I can tell you that this sort of customer service is not allowed here.We are here to make our guest stay as welcoming as we can .We do have a few policies here that every guest is asked to follow in order to make sure all guest enjoy thier stay. I hope that your group will consider giving our hotel another try .I am pretty sure you will be pleased .We offer our Hospitaility room to large groups staying with us at no charge , we only have one of these rooms so it's not always possible to accomodate all groups of course.
Northern MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2007

We stayed at the Grand Rapids, MN AmericInn hotel recently and it was hands down the worst experience we have ever had in a hotel. We selected this hotel largely do to their purported sound levels, “Each AmericInn is built with solid masonry construction and the highest sound rating in the industry to allow you the experience of a quiet nights sleep.” as their website states, well it was far from quiet.

As soon as we checked and saw the room we asked to be moved. It was a room connected to the pool, the only one actually. It was a large room, the one they use for kids pool parties. On either side of the door there were 2 windows that were covered with semi-transparent curtains on the inside and outside which allowed the people walking to the pool/rooms to see in our room when our lights were on.

We immediately asked to be moved and they said all they had available was a smoking room. My wife suffers from a severe case of asthma so she checked the smoking room out but it was too over powering for her to stay in it without having an asthma attack. When she went back to the front desk and asked for another room they said sorry, you booked though Expedia so there is nothing we can do. It was only about 3:15 and no one else had checked in yet so she asked again for another room. The front desk said sorry, all the other reservations specifically requested “not by the pool” which we feel was a blatant lie since poolside rooms are not even advertised on their website.

We called some other places in Grand Rapids, MN to see if they had rooms available but of course they did not on a weekend in the summer so we were stuff to make the best of it. We went off to our family reunion and did not get back till late that night. The first time we used the toilet it broke and the flushing mechanism would no longer work. We called front desk but they told us there was nothing that could be done and to use the one in the pool area. I fixed it myself but it broke repeatedly over the weekend, each time I fixed it myself.

The sink also broke and would not drain due to the drain plug being frozen down. The room was also very worn and damaged in all aspects.

Then at promptly 7 AM the pools main door started slamming every 5 minutes as kids ran in and out screaming. It was comparable to having our room door hit with a sledgehammer every 5 minutes. And of course the door in our room that opened to the pool did little to block the pool area noise. Needless to say we did not get to sleep past 7 AM and both nights our family events went well past midnight so we did not get to the room till late.

In the past I have booked many rooms and trips through Expedia but this was the first time we were treated as second class citizens due to it. We have also stayed at other AmericInn hotels and were always happy in the past.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
#8 of 11 in Grand Rapids
White Oak Inn & Suites
White Oak Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Deer River

Been to AmericInn Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!