“Never will go back.”

AmericInn Grand Rapids
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We went to Grand Rapids for a wedding and booked a 2 night stay at this hotel. Unfortunately, circumstances arose and we had to leave early. However, we did not check out before the housekeepers left by 2 pm (yes, there are no housekeepers after that early day time) and our room was not able to be cleaned so we were charged for another nights stay even though I had previously asked what the checkout policy was and was given non-specific enough instructions. The facility was nice, but horrible customer service. Yes, I do understand that we could not get a refund or even partial, but the staff and management were not even considerate; in fact they were quite rude. I guess that's what you pay for..

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mle632
americinngr, General Manager at AmericInn Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

I am sorry that you miss understood what was being said to you . Our hotel had been booked for that weekend for months, we turned away several potential guest and even that evening we had to turn people away . Had you informed us ealier in the day even as late as 1:30 pm we could have allowed you to check out and been able to clean the room and resell it .You didnt say anything to us until 4 pm which by then there was only 1 employee working and that person would not have been able to reclean your room due to how busy the hotel was .I am sorry that you are upset with policy of our hotel. I do not set out to be uncaring by any means .Due to the circumstances I had to make a decsion .I hope that you can understand someday our postion in this matter.The cancelation policy is for the date of arrival which is 6 pm the check out policy is 11 am on the day that you plan to check out .

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Stayed here last Saturday. Room had king size bed and bed was very good; TV flat screen. Bath okay. Breakfast a bit sparser than another AmericInn we used. No noise issues. Staff not as friendly as other AmericInn.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
americinngr, General Manager at AmericInn Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Tom , It sounds as if your experince wasn't quite what you were hoping for .I apologize for that and have shared your comments with my staff .I hope that if you are ever in the Grand Rapids area you will visit with us again giving us a chance to make your stay more enjoyable the 2nd time around.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here on a weekend night. Our room was a King NS room, which was recently updated and was very clean, had plenty of towels, a flat screen tv, nice sofa, microwave, and fridge and the internet worked great in the room. The bed seemed a little stiff as we both woke up with a backache, but then we are used to pillowtop beds. We were told these beds are about 6 months old. Breakfast in the morning is served until 10AM which is very nice. Most of the hot items you have to heat up in the microwave or toaster, but were tasty. This hotel is situated near restaurants and stores. We will most likely give this hotel another try, when in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words ,sorry that the bed was a bit stiff for you ,I do hope that you had some restful sleep . Here at the AmericInn we work hard to make sure our guest relax & recharge while at our hotel .I will pass on your comments about your guest room being clean to the housekeeping staff ,they enjoy hearing comments like that .We look forward to having you as one of our future guest .

Reviewed 7 July 2012

My wife & I stayed here two nights as part of our vacation trip. When we do a family vacation like this was....we will take a couple extra days earlier and trailer our motorcycle and do some touring of areas we have never been before meeting up with the kids/grand kids at our final vacation destination. Our stay here was, for the most part, delightful...there was one negative...more on that later. First, the staff greeted us with an invitation to attend a Thursday night customer appreciation barbeque of brats/burgers that they were holding just across the other side of the parking lot. How nice! After we unloaded our belongings, we made our way over to the 'que and struck up conversations about motorcycle riding in the area....turns out one of the staff and her husband also ride and she made some excellent suggestions. Now about the facilities....excellent location close to shopping and restaurants and a nice/large parking area which was perfect for parking vehicles with trailers (such as ours). The overall facility was clean and well kept inside and out. The rooms/layout are typical of Americinn fare. Our room was quiet, very clean and the appearance would suggest recent updating had taken place. The complimentary breakfast was well received and ample. The pool & hot tub which we didnt use was filled as can be expected during the core evening hours.

The only Con/downside that we experienced was there were a couple youth baseball teams staying there at the same time...for the most part they were seemingly well behaved inside the facility....outside however, another story. The first morning of our stay...the parking lot was strewn with fruit that was obviously taken from the establishment's free breakfast and some of the vehicles were pelted/splattered with such items.....as was the back of our motorcycle trailer. "Totally Not Cool." The second morning was water balloons/residue. So, while this is not under Americinn management's control as to this kind of activity, one can only hope, that whoever's little angels these were, that they will experience the same treatment somewhere else in the future.

Regardless, I would recommend that you consider staying here when visiting the Grand Rapids area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Wow, I thank you so much for your comments . This summer we started our Thursday night grilling in our picnic area. I enjoy visiting with our guest and in your case we had something in common Motorcycling .We have many great roads to tour on motorcycles here in Itasca Co. and I love to share some of my favorites with other motorcyclist.We have in the past year done quite a few revnovations to our guest rooms and we plan to continue with more upgrades thru out the property .
I am sorry for the behavior of other guest I just will not ever understand why they do some of the things they do.If your travels bring you back we will be happy to have you as our guest .
Lori

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Everytime my husband and I come to town for family reunions, we always stay here. The rooms are always clean and well-maintained, the staff are extremely courteous and helpful, the breaksfasts are great. I haven't got one complaint only complements. Whenever we come to town this will be our home away from home. Thanks Lori - you all are amazing!!!

Room Tip: just make the call :)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Rebecca, we love having you as our guest and are pleased to hear you will be returning whenever you are in the Grand Rapid area . Our staff truley does care about our hotel and I am glad to hear that you noticed their hard work .
Lori

Reviewed 20 June 2012

After a 10 hour drive it was nice to stay in a clean, comfortable room. The bed was great, pillows very comfortable. The only drawback was the funky bleach/vinegar smell when you first walked into the room. It did go away after a short time. I do not remember seeing an elevator either, (could have been my over tiredness) so it was rough carrying our suitcases up all the stairs. We got moved to another hotel after the first two nights due to a business arrangement and the other hotel wasn't nearly as nice. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to this area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

It is amazing how exhausting traveling can be , 10hrs is a long time to travel . I am so pleased that you found our beds to be comfortable .We do not have an elevator so please call the hotel direct when making your reservations and request a 1st floor room , so that we can best accommodate your needs . I do want to apologize for the odor, some times we use vinger when cleaning in the hotel . We hope to have you as our returning guest soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

We have stayed at the AmericInn in Grand Rapids MN many times. We have family in the area. The hotel is very nice and very clean! They recently went thru some upgrades which has made it even better. The staff is great. This past weekend we stayed with them. Lori Whitted the hotel manager was working at the desk. My husband teased her about where the free cookies were. She said they were in the oven. We left for the day and when we came back there were cookies on our table in our room with a very sweet note attached. That's how the staff is at the AmmericInn in Grand Rapids. The pool and pool area has been very clean everytime we have stayed. My husband and I plan on staying at the AmericInn Grand Rapids every time we come to visit our family.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Mary Ellen,
We are thankful for your kind words. I believe that anyone of my front desk staff would have done the same as I did .I promised you cookies and the only way to be sure you got them before I left for the day was to leave them in your room for when you returned . I am glad to hear you enjoyed my little note .We look forward to your return visits .