“Wonderful atmosphere, great price, ignorant staff”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Rapids
Sawmill Inn of Grand Rapids
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This hotel itself is fabulous if you want a old-time, country feel. I was so impressed with this hotel...Until blatantly discriminated against, based on 1) my speech impairment and 2) my service dog. Possibly the very worst discrimination I have endured in years. There was restitution, in the end, but by that time the damage is done. The take old America to an extreme...I'm very disappointed. The general manager, after being verbally assaulted by a staff, avoided eye contact as we spoke with her.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 July 2011

My room was free so that was awesome and there were a lot of people there having fun (which meant the hallways were loud). We had room 262 which was away from the highway but at the end of the hall by the outside door which crashed anytime someone came home from the bar. Definately an ear plug hotel. I've started looking at the bedding to check for mites=none, but the box spring was nasty and the bedding looked like a throwback from the 80s. My wife enjoyed the breakfast and said the restaurant was good. Front desk people were efficient but not very attentive when you are standing there... Hopefully they have nicer rooms to keep this facility open as an AR traveler will probably be better suited elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This is one of my favourite hotels. This visit was two years on from our last. It still has the same excellent level of service and still has excellent food. A slight downer is that it still has the same furnishings and decoration. However it is still comfortable and clean. And just what is the problem with using a "real" key? At least they don't get erased by your cell phone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pete S
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Would not go back. Hotel needs a refresh and the staff needs customer service training. Beds are old and falling apart, the pillows are flat and hard, and the thermostats in the room were broken. The room was about 85 degrees and there was no way to regulate the temperature. Also, the two physical keys (one for room one for external entrance) per room was a hassle The restaurant was OK, but front desk and security staff were beyond rude! This hotel was a Holiday Inn years ago and has just gone down hill in every way ever since. We probably could have tolerated overpaying for the rooms, but a run down hotel and terrible service was just too much.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 December 2010

I have stayed in this motel since it first opened as a Holiday Inn, which later became independent, and have stayed there at least 100 to 150 times. Never had to make a complaint, rooms were always well kept up, When ever I needed something the staff was always prompt and courteous. I have stayed there on business and also with my family. We love the decor. The restaurant is excellent, and I have never had a bad meal. I have traveled throughout the US, Canada and a couple times in Europe, would rate the Sawmill as one of the best I have stayed in. I have probably stayed in 1500 to 2000 motels. Try it...you will love it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Ronmh
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We were coming up to Grand Rapids for a wedding. We got 2 rooms adjoining because we had 6 children aging 7months to 12 years. First we got our room keys and they are actual keys, not key cards. so I have 4 sets of keys that I have to not loose. Then to open the door you have to have 2 hands. You have to turn the key push a button and then turn the knob all at once. So we get in the room and open the curtains and there is mold on the ceiling right above the window, not to mention the mold all around the top of the shower in the bathroom. We could not get the door open and the staff were very rude in helping us get the key's working. We only got 1 towel and washcloth in the room. So we asked for more towels since we have 6 kids in the room and they were very rude. Like we were interrupting them. Oh heaven forbid she should pick up the phone to call housekeeping while she is stuffing her face at the front desk. Sorry but I worked in a hotel and you never eat in front of guests at the desk. They also have pool side rooms and you have people running from rooms to the pools all night long and no one in the pool supervising. I wouldn't even stay in there with the kids in the evening. I came back in the morning when everyone was still passed out. Oh and if you ask for pool towels you might get some evil looks, because OMG it is just to much trouble for them to go get some when they are being paid to do that very thing.
All in all the stay was NOT good. They were very rude and the rooms were pretty gross!! I would never ever stay there again!!!! My mother-in-law and sister-in-law had the same experiences. None of us will ever stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We dined in the restaurant at Sawmill Inn and had a wonderful meal. The popover were especially remarkable. Even our son, who is reluctant to try new things, enjoyed them. We were there during Judy Garland Days and even saw a few Munchkins in the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family