“Hotel outdated and over priced”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Rapids
Sawmill Inn of Grand Rapids
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 25 August 2011

I attended a festival in June and the host hotel was The Sawmill Inn. I arrived a little early (about 2pm) and the room wasn't ready yet. I wasn't upset, after all their check-in time is after 3pm. When I arrived in my room I was shocked at how old it was considering the price. There are other options in Grand Rapids for about the same price or a little cheaper and they are much nicer than the Sawmill Inn.

I had a room that was located on the first floor and the pool was right outside. Kids were loud from early morning to late into the night. They were there before and after the posted pool hours. I barely got any sleep the 2 nights I was there. The hotel beds were saggy and uncomfortable. The furniture and TV's are out dated and the bathroom was very old. This place needs a major makeover if they are going to charge more than $100 per night.

The only thing I think it has appealing is the lobby and restaurant on premises. The lobby is very much like a lodge and has a nice warm feel about it. The restaurant has the best bacon I've ever had in my life. The service and food in the restaurant was VERY good.

I had to wait almost the whole day to get my room serviced. This meant no fresh towels until late in the day. I would pass on this hotel and chose another one in the area.

Room Tip: Don't get a poolside room. Ask for one away from the pool if you want any peace.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank dlabrake

Reviewed 8 August 2011

The rooms are very outdated and need a complete makeover. We had what was suppose to be a non-smoking room, however, when you opened the door it is like you ran right into a big cloud of smoke. I would assume it was previously a smoking room that has about 20 years of smoke imedded in the walls. I had to buy candles to cover the smell. Then the airconditioning in the room would not work. The thermostate was at about 65 and the actual room temperature would not drop below 75 and was very humid. After complianing two times, we were offered a fan and a promise that it would be fixed the next day. However, the next day came and when and when asked about being fixed, they advised that he fixed some but didn't get around to others. I do not beleive that they even tried to fix it, judging by other reviews this has been a problem for years. The night shift manager asked if we would like to move to a different room, however, at 9:00 at night with 4 kids sleeping, it makes it kind of difficult. We had asked for some kind of discount which we adivsed we were going to receive, however, upon checking out the next day, no discount. When paying $90.00 a night, I expect a working air conditioner and a non-smoking room. I would not suggest staying there until the rooms are redone. The pool area is the only good thing.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank spreng22
Reviewed 4 August 2011

It was July 2011 and warm in Minnesota. I stayed in a poolside room for a week. I was unable to control the temperature with the humidity in the room being poolside and the air conditioner didn't work that well. The air conditioner fan was in the wall over bed and was very loud - couldn't watch TV without having to have it very loud and probably disturbing neighbors.

Second day there I came back to room to find refrigerator setting was too high and a soda can had exploded inside and out. As I cleaned up the soda from the carpet the towel turned black instantly from the filth on the carpets. The carpet was sticky and filthy - you must wear shoes at ALL times.

Third, after turning setting on refrigerator down - another soda can had exploded opening up the door and leaving it open most of the day.

The room was dark, dingy and filthy.

The front desk service along with the housekeeping manager were rude with any requests we as a group may have had. We had a large work group and had very few needed changes and unfortunately were not treated very nicely after the monies spent at this hotel.

This hotel needs to be gutted and refurbished.

The restaurant was good and service was great.

Advertise free wi-fi - very spotty and not reliable.

Room Tip: Remodel WHOLE hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank JuJuT
Reviewed 3 August 2011

This hotel itself is fabulous if you want a old-time, country feel. I was so impressed with this hotel...Until blatantly discriminated against, based on 1) my speech impairment and 2) my service dog. Possibly the very worst discrimination I have endured in years. There was restitution, in the end, but by that time the damage is done. The take old America to an extreme...I'm very disappointed. The general manager, after being verbally assaulted by a staff, avoided eye contact as we spoke with her.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2011

My room was free so that was awesome and there were a lot of people there having fun (which meant the hallways were loud). We had room 262 which was away from the highway but at the end of the hall by the outside door which crashed anytime someone came home from the bar. Definately an ear plug hotel. I've started looking at the bedding to check for mites=none, but the box spring was nasty and the bedding looked like a throwback from the 80s. My wife enjoyed the breakfast and said the restaurant was good. Front desk people were efficient but not very attentive when you are standing there... Hopefully they have nicer rooms to keep this facility open as an AR traveler will probably be better suited elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2011

This is one of my favourite hotels. This visit was two years on from our last. It still has the same excellent level of service and still has excellent food. A slight downer is that it still has the same furnishings and decoration. However it is still comfortable and clean. And just what is the problem with using a "real" key? At least they don't get erased by your cell phone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pete S
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Would not go back. Hotel needs a refresh and the staff needs customer service training. Beds are old and falling apart, the pillows are flat and hard, and the thermostats in the room were broken. The room was about 85 degrees and there was no way to regulate the temperature. Also, the two physical keys (one for room one for external entrance) per room was a hassle The restaurant was OK, but front desk and security staff were beyond rude! This hotel was a Holiday Inn years ago and has just gone down hill in every way ever since. We probably could have tolerated overpaying for the rooms, but a run down hotel and terrible service was just too much.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family