“Wouldn't return...a real dive”

Wendigo Lodge & Conference Center
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grand Rapids
Wendigo Lodge & Conference Center
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I wish I had read the reviews before we booked two nights here for a wedding! The website looks beautiful...and it's a beautiful lodge from the outside. Unfortunately, the inside has been neglected and the place is run down. Our room had stains on the carpet and smelled like a wet pool towel. The rest of the room appeared to be clean. The brochure said there was a restaurant next door and a 24hour convenience store at the front desk. However the restaurant was permanently closed and the front desk didn't have even water or a toothbrush. Also my 8 year old daughter nearly fell out the second story window when she leaned her head on the screen and it fell out. Echoing a previous writer, the sauna had no door knob...not sure it even worked. The pool shower and bathroom was FILTHY. The breakfast areasaws dirty and I wouldnt let my family eat there so we went out instead. Word of advice-stay away!

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank mahtomedigirl

Reviewed 23 August 2011

The management should be embarrassed by the condition of the golf course. They have an August deal for $1 a hole - and I still felt ripped off. There is virtually no grass on the tee boxes and the greens looked like that haven't been watered in weeks. The rough is so long, you'd swear you're playing in the US Open. You're better of playing at Eagle Ridge.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank GolfGuy M
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Room was not clean, oven was so dirty it nearly set off smoke alarms. Our friends fridge had mold growing in it.

Pool had so much chlorine it made my kids eyes nearly bled. Sanua door handle was missing, leaving a hole in the door so it couldn't even get close to hot enough for a sanua. No towels in pool area, management said they don't have enough and will try to get some later. A couple burnt out lights in the pool area made it very dark. Internet did not work but I didn't even bother complaining, wouldn't have been worth the hassle, I gave up!

This place looks great from the outside but is a disaster once you get in. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank coreyinkato
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Booked a two night stay 3 months prior to our trip to Wendigo. First night was just okay, nothing to brag about. Second day our key cards were turned off early afternoon for all three rooms that we booked and there was no desk attendant at the check in desk to get the key cards turned back on. Called all 5-6 phone numbers listed on a sheet of paper at the front desk and left messages for assistance and not a sole returned our calls. We finally had to reprogram our own key cards to get back in our rooms after we waited approx. 5 hours for someone. They never did return our phone calls nor come to the hotel to help us out. I could go on forever with the terrible service at Wendigo but I don't have time and not enough space. The hotel was left open with no attendant or any type of staff on duty from early to mid-afternnon on our second day through the entire night.
DON'T STAY AT WENDIGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank diane_hasbargen
Reviewed 4 December 2010

My spouse and I have stayed here several times in the past 5 years and we have always had a good experience. This time was different. First, we noticed that the road going into the hotel had not been plowed after a snowfall the night before. It wasn't until the 3rd night that someone plowed the road. The first room that they gave us had not been cleaned but the woman at the front desk promptly set us up in a better room. She was very helpful and accommodating. It was very quiet the first night. However, the next two nights were horrible. Some of the guests were loud and shouting obscenties in the halls as late as 2 am in the morning. There were banging of doors, kids running all over and shouting going on. The front desk did offer to move us down to the end of hall one night but we were already in bed and did not want to pack up everything and move.

The garbage bin outside of hotel was overflowing with bags of trash. The pool was not functioning due to some safety issues and still some of the guests were allowed to us it.

It is clear that there is a managment/owner problem here. I hope this place will survive.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lakelover60
Reviewed 23 October 2010

This place used to be amazing and beautiful. It has really gone down in overall quality over the years and appears to be on its way out. I would recmommend saving your money and health and to find something else. The pool is green, there are full garbage bags all over, the plants and outside foliage have not been tended to in months, they have old construction supplies laying all over the place in front of the entrance, it is dirty and the staff is rude and innapropriate.
I have never written a review before this but felt that I better warn people that want to enjoy Grand Rapids. There are several other places to go with so much more to offer. (Timberlake Lodge, Rutger's, etc.)

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank funfunfun18
Reviewed 23 May 2010

I booked a room and one of the party rooms in early April for a June date. In late May, I got a voice mail with no call back number saying they were too busy on the date I booked the party room as a convention was in town so I would have to reschedule it. No alternatives, no compensation, no call back when I called to see what could be done and no apology. I would not book an event of any kind- -large or small -- with this facility.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family