“That it is bed bug infested. Do not stay!!!!”
Review of The Itascan Motel

The Itascan Motel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My girlfriend kicked me out for the night, I am a vet and got a good price on my room. However, I was bite by be, an
bugs and when I called to let the owner know, he denied it, didn't even acknowledge my concern,and hung up on me I have photos of the bites, it was an awful experience.

• Stayed: February 2012
5  Thank FEUD
There are newer reviews for The Itascan Motel

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I travel to Grand Rapids often to visit friends and family, and always stay here. It is a nice quaint family owned business. The price is convenient, restaurants are within walking distance. The owners a very friendly and polite, and always there to help out. Will be staying there again!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank pyppers
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Stay away! We have never had a worse experience at any motel or hotel. They do not post their room rate on their website or in their office. They charged us $199.00 for one night.Read again - they charged our card $199.00 because we booked a late reservation. They don't provide a room receipt. You have no idea what you actually paid for - including taxes.

The owner/manager is rude and disrespectful to guests. Nothing in the motel works. The rooms stink of smoke and filth. Do not give your credit card to this establishment.

This was a travelers nightmare. For half the cost, you can stay at a real nice motel or hotel in Grand Rapids. Stay away! Do not provide a credit card number over the phone or in person.

4  Thank adnerbk
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We ended up staying here by chance -- trying to avoid the more expensive internet bookings. For $59 a night, we got a suite with 2 queen beds and a kitchenette -- total of 5 people! Plan to bring your own pans and dishes, and you could really save a lot of money on eating out. The motel is a little run down, but everything worked fine (if rather noisy sometimes). The owners are very kind. There are no frills here, but it was comfortable and reasonably clean.

Room Tip: Our room was on the street and it was noisy in the morning (and occasionally during the night).
4  Thank KatyaNelson_65
Reviewed 10 August 2011

This is a small, family run place, so you won't get corporate newness. They could use some paint in a few places and the furniture does not all match, but it's clean, and everything works and they seem to be working on improvements. Some might consider this a bit run down, but I call it quaint.

In exchange for everything not being new, for less than the price of a budget chain room (read Motel 8) you get a suite with separate rooms for the beds a living room/dining room area and a kitchenette (with silver ware, but no pots and pans). Plus the staff/owners were flexible and helpful and friendly.

The location is good, within walking distance of several restaurants. It is next to a fairly busy road, so there is some noise.

2  Thank Ace005
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I stayed at a few more hotels in Grand Rapids for my business trip but did not find them very satisfactory so booked to the itascan. The location of the place is wonderful and in walking distant to restaurants. The staff was very helpful when my computer was not reading their wireless signal and it took them a very long time to fix that with no charge. They also treated me like family. The rooms were clean and peaceful.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank constanttraveler1975
Sarah S, General Manager at The Itascan Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2011

Thank you very much for your input. We greatly appreciate positive feedback.

Reviewed 1 February 2010

I stopped after a long ride on the motorcycle, got into my room. Brought in my gear and headed out for some pizza. After a couple of beers with dinner I returned to the room and don't know if it was ever cleaned from the last guest. Of all the motels I have stayed in this one was the worst.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank TwoWheelTour
Sarah S, Manager at The Itascan Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

We would like to thank you for staying at the Itascan. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope that we can accommodate you better if you choose to stay with us again. Thank you for your imput.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Rapids
#2 of 11 in Grand Rapids
White Oak Inn & Suites
White Oak Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Deer River

Been to The Itascan Motel? Share your experiences!