Forest Lake Motel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$122
Country Inn
AmericInn Grand Rapids(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
US$115
Super 8 Grand Rapids(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
US$82
Hotel Rapids(Grand Rapids)
TripAdvisor
The Itascan Motel(Grand Rapids)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I stayed at the Forest Lake Motel for the reception of an exhibition I was having in Grand Rapids. I found my room to be clean, quiet and comfortable, and I enjoyed easy access to the scenic Lake across the road. However, following my visit, I realized that several items of value had gone missing. When they reportedly could not be found in the room, I suspected that someone had taken them during my stay. Two weeks later, the items materialized when a subsequent guest spotted them in a drawer of the dresser -- where I had inadvertently left them (!). I am very grateful to this guest for recovering my goods. I am even more grateful to know that the motel owner and staff had behaved honorably all along. Had I been thorough in the first place, or had they double-checked the dresser per se, there would not have been a problem. Based on my personal experience, I can indeed recommend the Forest Lake Motel to fellow travelers. You can expect quality accommodations, honest treatment and a rare proximity to the beauty of nature and the amenities of the city.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Jeanette M
Reviewed 30 October 2011

After reading some of the reviews I was a little hesitant about our late fall reservations. However I found the room to be clean and the people pleasant, especially the housekeeper when I asked for a few extra towels and location of outside trash cans where I could dump my dog's 'walkie bags'. An in-room hairdrier would have been nice, but the microwave, little fridge, and coffeemaker (with coffee) made up for that small inconvenience. (Lack of hair dryer was my own fault, website does mention no in-room hairdryers.)
The motel was convenient, comfortable, quiet, and clean. I was not expecting 5-star, but did feel safe, had a good night's sleep, and plenty of hot water while taking a shower. The bathroom set-up was nice. There was a little alcove area that had a separate sink-mirror and small closet as well as another separate area (with a door) that had a full bath. This set-up made it very convenient for two or more people to get ready for the day or bedtime without waiting for the other to vacate the 'facilities'.
The motel welcomes well behaved dogs for a reasonable fee ( a must for my trip). The rooms near the lake were perfect for walking the dogs while enjoying the crisp autumn air. A pair of playful otters on the lake was frosting on the cake. The restaurant 'up the hill' was pleasant and prices in line with other restaurants. I would definitely stay here again if returning to Grand Rapids.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AJKMMinneapolis
Reviewed 11 September 2011

So many things wrong with this place...showed up to check in and there was a bunch of kids with a mattress from their motel room sitting in the middle of the parking lot laying on it. Also, our family had 4 rooms booked and were charged different prices for the same "type" of room. When confronted the staff did NOT correct the prices that were quoted incorrectly and said "consider yourself lucky" to the family who received the lowest price. Once we finally got to the rooms, the water did not work for about 4 hours, the coffee pot was dirty, Towels had hair on them, there were toiletries and dirty socks under the sink (that belonged to the previous guests), MAJOR spider webs in every corner of the room and used Kleenex and other trash underneath the beds.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank 845KStraveler
nelsoncf, Manager at Forest Lake Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

We do have exchange students for two months each fall and they don't always do what we expect. When I returned Saturday afternoon I did talk to them about not taking the mattress outside and their sense of modesty is a little different than ours. It was one mattress one time and not what's done regularly.
When we take reservations we give people a quote if they request. The earlier people reserve a room the more likely they are to get a lower price. Even though we were full Saturday we honored all the prices we had quoted and the difference in prices was $5 per room.
We had a hot water line that burst(it always happens when you're the busiest)and it did take about three hours to get parts and get it fixed.
I'm sorry about the cleanliness bit. That is not our practice. We work hard at keeping our rooms clean and I have addressed the comments with our staff. That is not the way we operate.

Reviewed 11 September 2011

I called Several months ago to make a reservation and was never asked for a credit card # to make the reservation. We were staying there because my cousin was getting married and there were a lot of relatives coming from out of town. Between all of us we had a bunch of rooms reserved. Upon arrival we pulled into parking lot and across from office was 6 or 7 young college kids with a mattress from a bed pulled out into the parking lot and they were tanning on it. I immediately said something when I checked in. I asked if this is what they let guests do with beds and then I get to sleep on that? The lady at the counter told me not to worry because they weren't in my room. I said excuse me, how do I know that they weren't doing that in my room. She then told me that the college kids are exchange students who live there for 3 months and they will get rid of the beds when they leave. She told me thanks for the concern and she would tell them that that is not acceptable. FYI: they never said anything and it was still out there.
So we get our keys and go to our rooms. The first room we enter and it smells like a kennel and its hot in there. There are someone else's toiletries under the sink and dirty socks. There are used kleenex's under the bed, spider and webs all over the room. Go to the bathroom and there is no water also one on the towels had a long hair on it and we never used them yet.. What a great start! I go into the second room, it stinks like smoke and I asked for anon smoking room. Also there is no water and there are lipstick marks on a pillow case that were from someone. Glad we brought our own pillows! Called the office and said, "oh something broke with the water and they are fixing it." So had to leave if needed to go to bathroom or anything. Paid for our room and some of us were charged one thing and others were charged more. When confronted they said some were given the wrong price quote. Very dirty gross place to stay. They over charge for there rooms that are disgusting. I wish I could get my money back. They lost a lot of customers because all the rooms we took up for this wedding with all the problems and none of us will ever be back. We have told everyone we know and I hope a lot of people read these reviews and stay at the Country Inn Suites, the Americ Inn, or the Saw Mill. This place is horrible!

Room Tip: There are non here. Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank 802newps
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We spent a pleasant several days here. The room was clean and large, and was on the lake side where we could hear occasional loon calls. It's walking distance from a beach, a grocery store, and downtown. There was occasional noise from other guests, but it was quite quiet all the nights we spent there, which is the most important thing to us. There were large trucks parked alongside the hotel, but contrary to previous reviews, they didn't start up at 4AM.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple