“What upgrades????”
Review of Afton Alps

Afton Alps
Ranked #6 of 17 things to do in Hastings
More attraction details
Owner description: Large recreation area is loaded with outdoor fun including downhill ski runs, and an 18-hole golf course.
Lino Lakes, Minnesota
“What upgrades????”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I'm not sure where this 10million that Vail put into Afton went. I didn't see anything really that enhanced the place. It was over an hour wait for a lift ticket. Terrible!!! Lift lines were even longer with the scanning system. I think the park and jumps that they added were great for people that are doing that but otherwise nothing has changed at all just kind of a cluster.
I wanted to do the preferred program so that the lift ticket was cheaper next time. Well I didn't have to do anything different. I even asked. She claims it will all work. I have my doubts b/c it's not what other friends told me they had to do and not even the same card. Seemed very unorganized.

Minnesota
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Upgrades to Afton, not great”
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Agree with others on the changes at Afton. Separating off a large sector for more snowboarding is a bad move. The hill never really had that much varied terrain as it was. Now if they corridor off the front 3 pitches as they like to do when they have racing events and then dedicate a full area that was recreational skiing to the snowboard crowd, it's really kind of a rip-off to the weekend recreational skier. New snowmaking, speeding up lift capacity and dressing up the lodge really doesn't cut it for those looking for more than a beginner hill. I had my fill of Afton last year when they closed off 5 hills on a Saturday for racing. Could have had more fun skiing my backyard. I'll continue to take my dollar down to Welsh Village. Better scenery, better and more diverse runs and a nice mix of racing, boarding and skiers. Swing and a miss so far Vail, but nothing a few tons of dirt to the top of a mediocre hill like Buck Hill did to help the terrain.

1 Thank cndrocks
Minneapolis, Minnesota
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Vail has turned it's back on Skiers and Families”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I write this post with a heavy heart as I have been a lifelong supporter of this once great regional ski area. It's strenths were it's close proximity to MPLS/St. Paul, it's wonderful scenic views of the St. Croix River Valley, it's excellent ski school and great family venue. Unfortunately, the last two attributes have been tossed away along with the efficient ticketing huts into a dumpster into the Dark Side of everything Terrain Park and Snow Boarding Culture.

Don't get me wrong, there are awesome, respectful snow boarders out there, but the new park design and confiscation of great ski runs for both beginner and advanced skiers is going to result in two things: Degradation of a Great Ski School and a Magnet for the kind of Snow Boarders that we don't need in an already crowded area: The Balls to the Wall, Get the H%ll out of my way show offs who could care less if they run into someone else as long as they get decent aerials. The kind who hit you from behind after jumping off of a blind jump, don't even bother to say that they are sorry or see if you are ok and when confronted by ski patrols state that skiers need to get out of their way. If that's the kind of clientele that Vail wants here...boy, that is a very sad and concerning Marketing Vision.

If you are a parent...I would not advise you taking your kids here anymore, it's just not safe anymore. There are too many out of control people and the staff seemed more concerned about scanning tickets vs. insuring the safety and enjoyment of the visitors. (Didn't see the wonderful old Yellow Jacket's who used to patrol to insure safety and customer satisfaction...hint to Vail, bring them back) 50% of the park is devoted to terrain parks, the rest is now over crowded and it's tough to find a quite easy hill to learn. In a Nutshell: If you are a Parent, save your money and take your family to Welch Village, Wild Mountain or Trollhaugen instead. You will have a much more enjoyable time.

If you are an advanced skier...your best choice is Welch Village (Check out the back section) or travel up to Spirit Mountain in Duluth.

The chances at Afton Alps are probably the best thing that ever happened to the neighboring ski areas...at least they haven't fallen to the Dark Side.

3 Thank Swedehill
Salt Lake City, Utah
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“For Minnesota Skiing ... give it a break!”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I visited Afton Alps on the EpicRace and was pleasantly surprised with the fun we had there!! We were skiing Colorado, Utah, Austria, Switzerland, France ... obviously I wasn't exactly "stoked" for our stop in Minnesota. We had low expectations but I must say, they were far exceeded. It is a fun hill for a day trip and actually had some decent snow.

The Minnesota cold - that is another matter all together. My deodorant froze - enough said.

Would I plan a special trip to Afton? Well, no ... but if I lived in Minnesota, it is a fun little ski hill and I would definitely go.

1 Thank Jannah D
Twin Cities, MN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Poor Customer Service / Expensive Passes”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My experience is based on the Afton Alps Customer Service. Very poor! Offered little assistance and pushed me off to a call center in Colorado. Basically do not expect much help.

The reason for my need of help is the Season Pass I purchased online. From my experience, do NOT expect it within 2 weeks. It will take 10 business days to process it before they will mail it.

So if you need one soon, plan on 3 weeks if you are buy it it as a gift. They are very expensive too! $400 and that was just for Afton.

Visited November 2013