“Minimal Upgrades/Poor Customer Service”
Review of Afton Alps

Afton Alps
Ranked #4 of 16 things to do in Hastings
More attraction details
Owner description: Large recreation area is loaded with outdoor fun including downhill ski runs, and an 18-hole golf course.
Woodbury, Minnesota
“Minimal Upgrades/Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Really wish Afton Alps had stayed under the same management. Upgrades they made are minimal (not sure what they did with all the money they spent) and now the customer service is awful. Very impersonal and ridged. And to top it off, it's now more expensive. Would recommend trying Welch Village over this place.

Visited January 2014

Hudson, Wisconsin
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Good for the area”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Its not Utah or Colorado but for recreational skiing in Minnesota (near the Twin Cities) Afton is okay. Of course the runs are short (its Minnesota remember...no mountains) and lift lines can be tedious but hey, where else ya gonna go for a day?. My son likes the terrain park area and I dont mind having a beer and sitting around the fire pit. Being familiar with the different chalets makes ticketing easier and the preferred program makes return visits easy. The food is not great but you can always bring own. There are a couple good micro-brews on tap. If you are expecting knee deep powder and mile+ runs dont bother, but if you want to get out of the house and enjoy a winter afternoon outdoors this fits the bill.

Visited February 2014
Twin Cities
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Poorly Managed”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Pros:
+ friendly staff
+ easy runs for beginners
+ close to home
Cons:
+ 2 hours from arrival to slope on January 19th
+ old, slow, kid-unfriendly chairlifts
+ short-short runs
Concerns:
+ lack of information on website. While waiting in our first 45 minute line waiting for lift tickets today, an Afton associate informed us that there were two other ticket offices. Too late. Info should be on website.
+ after 45 minutes to buy lift tickets and equipment rental, we moved over to the equipment rental line, only to wait another hour behind people... buying lift tickets! So we waited twice as long as we needed to.

In my 26 years skiing in Colorado and elsewhere, I've never waited more than an hour to hit the hill, even waiting for lift tickets and renting equipment. Afton is really inefficient and customers suffer for it. Unless you have a season pass and do not need to rent equipment, go north to Spirit mountain or Lutsen. You won't have the aggravation at those places.

By the way, on our last visit, we waited 3 hours from arrival to slopes.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank moandaa
Belton, Texas
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Nice for new skiers, not many challenges...”
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We skiied all the runs in a short two hours. There were not many challenges. Everyone was friendly. Food was not very good - about like cafeteria food.

Lino Lakes, Minnesota
“What upgrades????”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I'm not sure where this 10million that Vail put into Afton went. I didn't see anything really that enhanced the place. It was over an hour wait for a lift ticket. Terrible!!! Lift lines were even longer with the scanning system. I think the park and jumps that they added were great for people that are doing that but otherwise nothing has changed at all just kind of a cluster.
I wanted to do the preferred program so that the lift ticket was cheaper next time. Well I didn't have to do anything different. I even asked. She claims it will all work. I have my doubts b/c it's not what other friends told me they had to do and not even the same card. Seemed very unorganized.

Visited December 2013