“Big Fun with Big Boy Toys”
Review of Extreme Sandbox

Extreme Sandbox
Ranked #1 of 1 Fun & Games in Hastings
More attraction details
Owner description: Come play on an excavator or bulldozer for fun! We offer customers the unique opportunity to experience heavy equipment in safe and controlled environment. We let the kid in you play!
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We had the opportunity to experience the extreme sandbox yesterday and it was awesome. I don't normally get this excited about this kind of thing. The staff at Extreme Sandbox was terrific and the experience could not have been better. It was about having fun operating heavy equipment but there was a great emphasis on training and safety. Highly recommend this for Heavy Equipment wannabes.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"childhood dream"
"out of the box"

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I bought this adventure as a birthday gift for my husband. My 3 children and I came along to watch!

We loved the little toy sandbox that my kids played with while we watched the entertaining safety video. You could tell from Randy's humor in the video that it was going to be a fun visit, and we weren't disappointed! The adults all wore headsets, I was even given one so that I could listen in on the lesson in driving an excavator!

At the end of the hour we were allowed to take family shots in front of the equipment, the kids had a blast! Oh yeah, hubby had a blast too!

Thanks Extreme Sandbox for a unique gift!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My wife surprised me with this for my birthday, and after a bit of negotiation with Randy, she did it with me! They are absolutely fantastic and thorough with the instructions and getting the feel for the equipment. Having my wife on the headset with me was neat to be able to talk as we were doing it, and hear the guy explaining things to the two of us. The last bit was the obstacle course and we "raced" to completion. Totally awesome and would go back in a heartbeat. Even bought the T-Shirt!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have just gotten home from my first trip to the Extreme Sandbox in Hastings, MN. My first order of business was to leave a review to further support this budding business.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the owner Randy and his employee Adam. Randy greeted us, shook our hands, and brought us water bottles. After some sarcastic jokes and friendly questions we signed our waivers (short in length!), geared up, and went on our way.

Adam directed us out to two excavators. He instructed us to take our cameras and to feel free to photograph anything we'd like. (They offer photos and video for purchase, but they don't push it on you at all!)
He walked through the basics of the machinery and the comfort settings (adjusting seats, headsets, a/c). I am 6,2" and my brother is 6,5". We not only fit, but comfortably the entire time.

Adam was kind and respectful. Helping us with anything we might need. Letting us do our own thing, in his own words "it's your hour." I thoroughly enjoyed the activities in the dual excavator package. Adam gave us more allotted time. He was friendly, funny, and helpful!!

Afterwards we enjoyed clean restrooms, free coffee (kuerig!), and coupons for 100$ off.

I highly recommend anyone with the slightest interest in machinery, excavating, construction, driving, or demolition to go!!! The activity rocked and so did the staff. I will be attending again, and telling others about this unique and fun activity.

Friendly staff
Free drinks
Clean facilities
Comfortable well maintained machines
Personable and funny staff
Unique activities
Great business model
Instructed us to take any photos we'd like
Not pushy or salesy

I didn't purchase enough time!!

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The guys at Extreme Sandbox were great. I went with my mother and her friend on a Wednesday afternoon and when we arrived, the staff was all set up for us. You can tell customer service is the name of the game for these guys. They offered us water and were continually joking around the entire time. The place looked brand new from floor to ceiling and even had a small gift shop to pick up mini heavy equipment and clothing. After the safety/tutorial video (created and hosted by the same guys working that day) we were out to the equipment to do some "work". The excavators were easily my favorite as we were able to do a variety of different things with them including golf (Yes-golfing with a 10 ton heavy machine is exactly as fun as it sounds), dig holes (much better than doing it with a shovel...), and eventually pick up an entire car! All those action movies that include heavy machinery are now a little more real after getting to operate the actual equipment. The bulldozers were pretty cool too. They had an obstacle course all set up for you and then you got to push around another car. (All my years of destroying hot wheels were able to be lived out at Extreme Sandbox!)

I would definitely recommend the experience to anyone. The entire time they are in contact with you through headsets so any fears about destroying the equipment or hurting yourself/others is completely taken care of. There is really no way to hurt the equipment-and I definitely tried! While there were only 3 of us when I went, I could see this being a great party for a larger group. Bachelor/bachelorette parties, birthday parties, any day ending in y parties... When it's all done, you and your friends will have plenty of stories to tell as well as pictures. (they let you take your phones/cameras with you and help take pictures when you ask them too. Great camera skills!!)

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank Chris R