“Busy Corner”

Point Restaurant The
Twin Cities, MN
“Busy Corner”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

At the intersection of U.S. 61 & U.S. 10 (Point Douglas Drive), The Point is ideally situated on a major north/south travel route and the road most folks take to get over the river to Wisconsin. As such, and because of the gas station next door, it is a great meeting point for folks interested in motorcycling along the river.

The building itself could win awards for utilitarian dullness. The inside is not much more attractive. It has not been updated since long before the 1980's country decor craze went out of style and the wall hangings look to be Walmart clearance items.

On the weekends, this place does a bustling breakfast for bikers, car enthusiasts and locals alike. During the week, most of the dining room is closed for breakfast and the small "coffee shop" is open. Older locals inhabit the place during the week and when 12 of us showed for a pre ride breakfast on a Friday morning, they were unable to accommodate us at one table. We also taxed the short staffed kitchen and the one waitress on duty. Though the unexpectedly large crowd slowed things down, it was not an unreasonable delay and the service was commendable.

I had biscuits and gravy with two eggs ordered sunny side up and gooey/runny. Most places up north can do an adequate job on gravy and the Point is no exception. Their gravy had the right consistency and a good flavor. My personal preference would have been for a spicier sausage and a little more heat, but getting Minnesotans to spice things up is a tall order. Biscuits are where most places screw up this dish. Nothing ruins it like taking a cold, dry biscuit out of the fridge and topping it with gravy. The Point does it right. A warm, moist biscuit blends seamlessly with the gravy, absorbing the flavor and working with it.

My eggs were a different story. My eggs were sunny side up but they were overcooked to the point where the yokes were gelatinous. Breaking the yoke resulted in almost no yoke running. I sent them back and I promptly received two eggs done just the way I ordered. Unfortunately, I was done with my biscuit by that time. The runny yoke and the gravy were delicious together but the order screw up knocks the food back one peg to "Average".

If you want to head over to Wisconsin to ride the rolling, winding roads along the river, The Point is a good place to start your day.

• Visited June 2014