“Welcoming, Nurturing and Green”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hastings
The Historic Inn on Ramsey Street
Ranked #1 of 3 Hastings B&B and Inns
Woodbury, Minnesota
“Welcoming, Nurturing and Green”
Reviewed 29 January 2011

After a number of years, I returned to stay at the Classic Rosewood Inn. I met friends for dinner at the Hastings Country Club which is now open to the public. Only a mile from the inn, you enjoy the view of wooded rollling hills through wraparound windows warmed by a fire. I was told by staff there that they are one of the few golf courses in Minnesota designated as a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sancturary. Dinner was excellent. Back at the inn, before tucking in for the night, I snuck downstairs for an extra log for the fire and a bowl of ice cream with chocolate sauce---talk about feeling at home!---from the help-yourself back porch pantry, an amenity you don't find at most inns: cookie jar, ice cream, fresh fruit, tea and cocoa.
I didn't have the luxury of sleeping in the next morning, but welcomed the fresh coffee tray brought to my room with a knock as my wakeup call. The organic, fair trade coffee was roasted locally, which is important to me. As always, I appreciated the flexibility in breakfast time and location. I chose to dine near a cozy fire in the parlor and was encouraged by Pam Thorsen (the innkeeper) to invite an old friend who lives nearby to join me for breakfast at no additional charge. The three-course, locally sourced, breakfast was beautiful to behold and delicious as well.
As before, the room was spotless, quiet and comfortable with unique architectural details. The pillows were wonderful, and washable, one of many green practices advanced in recent years. Recycling an old building, or two in the Thorsens case, is truly a "green" building practice and the heart of their mission to honor and respect the past, while actively working to protect the environment for the future of their community.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Rosewood. Pam and Dick are wonderful hosts, leaders in the industry and I know they will do whatever they can to make your stay enjoyable and memorable.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Minnesota
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Nothing in this bed and breakfast is left over from the original interior, if I understood that right. The owners had to build some of the interior structure, and they did an okay job of it, but they should have hired an interior decorator. Some of the colors/patterns are just not right and it almost works, but needs some help.
Someone mentioned in an earlier review about the proprietor's twenty minute speech upon arrival; we received that as well, but it felt intrusive as it was late and we just wanted to get into our room and sleep. Unfortunately, she didn't perceive this, and continued on and on about the history. It may be well received at a more opportune time than right upon check in, and she really should ask if the guests would like to hear it or not. We received some cookies that were rock hard, and had to get hot chocolate in the porch, which was not heated.
The room we had was satisfactory, but for the price we didn't feel it measured up. The colors didn't go together well. There were little rugs in the bathroom and next to the tub that looked too cheap to be in the room. The bedspread was pretty, but a comforter with a washable duvet would have been a better choice. I don't like feeling that the bedspread isn't washed inbetween guests. The bright lights from outside the room lit the room up too much and it didn't feel restful. The hot tub was nice.
The breakfast was very good, with fresh fruit and a nice crunchy topping, and a hot egg dish that was quite nice. Coffee was not very good. One bothersome detail when we were checking out; the kitchen looked to be really unorganized with books and things all over, and a large pile of unwashed dishes in the sink. The owner also had a soiled shirt on that should have been covered up with an apron since she was cooking. Didn' t lend an air of cleanliness to the place.
It is nice that the owners put a lot of hard work and time into this house, but it needs a careful lookover by someone that has a good eye for details and perhaps it will then be worth what we paid for it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
gertie147, Owner at The Historic Inn on Ramsey Street, responded to this review, 12 January 2011
Dear Gentle Friends, Among the inaccuracies or more kindly misperceptions in this review, there are a few accuracies which we truly apologize for : 1) the overbaked cookies or were they our famous ginger snaps? 2) the office in transition and 3) not perceiving these guests were not interested in the history and were exhausted.

To explain--- we had been moving our office to the basement (trying to do it behind the scenes) and it was in our first floor service area. (not part of the guest area) To explain: we have a guest pantry, a service area and a commercial kitchen. This guest may have checked out right in the middle of us still serving and clearing so we stopped what we were doing to see to their checkout.(This happens frequently) Granted it is not an ideal situation to not have a front desk and have the chief cook and bottle washer also be the innkeeper. So if there were dishes in the service sink they were waiting for the dumbwaiter that goes to the commercial kitchen which is purposely in the basement to keep the noise, the prep and the dishwashing out of sight and sound of guests. Want to take a video peek at our very clean commercial kitchen ? Check out our Popover pancake recipe on our website. .

However, there are some misperceptions in this review --- we do have duvets on each bed. And many have both duvet and quilt and for the very reason mentioned (frequent washing) Some think because of the high quality of our duvets with hidden button closure that they are bedspreads. Not true, they are top of the line duvets. Also our comforters inside the duvets are not ordinary. They are Nikken. Another misperception was that the back porch was not heated. We are sorry it was cold. It may have been below zero and the thirteen windows in the back porch do make it colder than the rest of the cozy inn.But it is heated. The bathroom rugs you mentioned fit into this same category of conservation as not heating the porch at full temperature in the winter. They are safe (rubber backing) as compared to fluffy slippery ones and they are easy to wash and dry. This fits in with our Green Policy (view on our website if interested). We like the way they look. As far as orientation, our goal is that you are comfy and make yourself at home all over the place (except in the service area and commercial kitchen) and enjoy the amenities of the house. I only share the history if guests seem interested. I obviously read this guest wrong. I should have been more perceptive. I am very sorry. We do appreciate your kind words about breakfast and the tub. And finally, you are 100% correct that we take great pride in the restoration and saving of this grand old home. It was condemned, scheduled for demolition. There are many original components here so you did not understand that correctly. This industry has saved important history in this country and every time you stay in an historic B & B, you are aiding in this preservation. We are very grateful to all our guests even those with different personal taste in decorating. There are thousands of properties that quite simply would not be and could not be replaced if not for B & B guests. What we like best about this enviable vocation is that we have a wonderful opportunity daily to try to make things better in a stressful sometimes unkind world. We will continue trying and continue to learn. Thank you. Dick and Pam
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband and I stayed in the Spring Lake room and were surprised at how quiet it was during our stay! There were other guests around, but we never saw them and barely heard them. Pam was a delightful host and the breakfast was delicious every morning. As a busy working mom and wife, I enjoyed being pampered with a 3-course homemade breakfast! The double whirlpool tub was awesome! One of the best experiences at this B&B was the nice, subtle touches, such as having a towel warmer in the room and having coupons for local restaurants available in the library. The entire home is absolutely beautiful! We both thoroughly enjoyed our stay and want to go back as soon as we can!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 12 June 2010

We spent a night at the Rosewood Inn as a much-needed escape from our life in Minneapolis. Our stay was top-notch and we would definitely return again. The rooms are all nice; some have a little bit of an odd layout, but that's what you get in a historic building. We had reserved the Isabelle room, which was nice but nothing fancy. When we saw that the St. Croix room was open (there was a cancellation) we paid to upgrade. The tub and fireplace were worth it! Many of the rooms have some fixtures that are a little 80s-style, but it's all very well maintained.

The building has lots of sitting areas for guests to enjoy. In the back porch there's a beverage bar and freezer stocked with ice cream.

We ordered the "dinner in house" chili and it was delicious! We ate picnic-style in front of our fireplace, which was romantic and relaxing. The portions were huge (we took the leftovers home in a Tupperware container and it made at least two more meals). Breakfast was ample and delicious, as well.

When you arrive, be prepared for a 15-minute orientation and tour of the building. The owners are obviously very proud of their restoration (as they should be!) and brimming with historical knowledge. We found the tour very interesting as we like that kind of stuff, but it might be a little irritating if you're dying to just get into your room and stay there.

We love B and Bs, and this is one of our new favorites!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Hugo
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Oh what a great way to celebrate 25 years together! Pam Greeted us and remembered us despite the many years since our last stay. She made thoughtful recommendations for return visit to Hastings, the local vineyard and Carpenters Nature Center, very enjoyable. Our room was spectacular, skylights, fireplace, teak wood jacuzzi, copper soaking tub, rounded shower, and comfy bed. The food both breakfasts were delivered at our requested time, and were perfect. We also enjoyed a soup and salad supper, that was filling and yummy.

We love the peaceful, accommodating atmosphere Pam and Dick have created, the gal cleaning the room offered to do our laundry, O.K. she didn't mean it but how cute. We look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 15 October 2009

My husband and I visited the Rosewood Inn on our Wedding night and were amazed with our room, the service, and the breakfast the following morning. Pam and Dick (the innkeeper) are two wonderful people who truly enjoy serving others, they made our stay even more enjoyable. Dick even made a special trip to the Inn just to turn the heat up! The breakfast in the morning was served in room in two quaint baskets and it was delicious! Pam is an extraordinary chef! And of course our room was immaculate, warm, comfortable, and very well kept! I would recommend the Rosewood to anyone!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank orcalover12
Eau Claire, WI
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I first started visiting Hastings seven years ago while researching some local history. Because of the nature of my trip, I thought it would be fun to stay in an old house instead of a cookie-cutter chain motel. It was one of the best ideas I’ve ever had.

There so many things that make the Rosewood special. I can’t list them all here, but I’ll try to hit the high points. The breakfast is some of the best food I’ve had anywhere. I find myself craving it whenever I come home. The location is very convenient, but at the same time very quiet and peaceful. The rooms are all beautifully decorated and impeccably clean. Each one blends vintage elegance and contemporary convenience together in a very special way. Being a writer, I found the in-room journals - in which each room’s guests write about their stays - especially charming.

But of course the physical structure itself, although obviously impressive, would be nothing without the love and care the owners put into it. Some people are born to do certain things, and it is obvious that Dick and Pam were born to be innkeepers. I remember how much I enjoyed the tour Pam gave when I first stayed at Rosewood; later, I had the opportunity to tour Thorwood (their other property; now condos) with Dick. Both tours were real highlights of my time in Hastings. Their passion for history and preservation is contagious.

One more thing: I’m single and I’ve never been to the Inn with a significant other. Before I came for the first time I was a bit worried that the whole place might be a bit too lovey-dovey for me, but those fears were totally unwarranted. The Rosewood is a perfect place for ANYONE looking for a quiet retreat.

Having stayed at the Rosewood about twenty times or so over the past seven years, I’m delighted to say I’m in a position to vouch for the innkeepers’ consistently stratospheric standards. Five stars all the way around.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cottage Grove
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Red Wing
Best Western Plus Campus Inn
Best Western Plus Campus Inn
#1 of 5 in River Falls

Been to The Historic Inn on Ramsey Street? Share your experiences!