All reviewsgreyhound buswithin walking distanceown bathroomgarden suitehoward streetironminnesotatrail
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I chose to stay at the Mitchell-Tappan house because it had the best reviews of any lodging establishment in the area. I have to say that the reviews are all correct! Even if you are in the Iron Range for business, the Mitchell-Tappan House provides privacy as well as a serene, downtown setting. There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance of the house as well as the Mesabi trail which is only about one mile from the house. Bennett Park is also close. I stayed on the 3rd level which has 2 medrooms and a common area. I was able to get a lot of work done when I wasn't enjoying the house or the area. If I come back to the Iron Range, I will make sure I stay here.

Room Tip: Choose the 3rd Floor for the common area and extra bedroom!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank mustbere
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This was our first visit to northern Minnesota, occasioned by a wedding in Hibbing. Pam, our hostess in the B & B was very pleasant and accommodating for our 3-day stay. Her breakfasts were filling, always including fresh fruit, choice of fruit juices, some kind of eggs and sausage, pastries and good coffee. The house and rooms were over-stuffed with Victorian objects and artificial flowers but well-kept and pretty. Bed was comfortable. Some rooms had to share a bath, but Pam kindly didn't book anyone into the room with which we would have had to share the hall bathroom. She recommended wonderfully interesting tourist sights in Hibbing: Greyhound Bus museum, Hibbing High School from 1920 (really amazing), and Hall-Rust iron ore mines and local restaurants. All in all, a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with private bath, if possible
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dr_J_F_M
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the elegant Mitchell-Tappan House last weekend in Hibbing, MN. It was undoubtedly the nicest B and B we have ever experienced. The room was beautiful , comfortable, and clean with all the extras one enjoys at a first class place, such as Ghirardelli dark chocolates on the bureau and a new tube of toothpaste in the bathroom. Pam fixed a delicious and magnificent three course gourmet breakfast both mornings and kindly allowed our son, who we were visiting, to join us. She is a gracious hostess and we will definitely be back soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Oliver Room, which was quite large and lovely, but we saw other lovely rooms which we might try out next time.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Connie V
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed at Mitchell-Tappan House on our road trip through Minnesota in our classic1966 Shelby GT350H. The Oliver Room was clean, cozy and entirely satisfactory. The breakfast was delicious and we had a nice visit with another guest during our meal. Pam was a wonderful hostess and we would highly recommend a stay at her home.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 66Shelby
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My husband, 13-year-old son, and I were in the Hibbing area for a Tang-Soo-Do (karate) tournament the weekend of 16SEP11. When I called Pam and made the reservation, I told her that we wouldn't be able to arrive until a little after her desired check-in time. She said no problem. Then I told her that our son would have to be at his tournament early both Saturday and Sunday, and that we would just take him and then return to the house for breakfast without him each day, and I asked if this was okay, which was fine. When we arrived, after being shown to our 3rd floor suite in a beautiful and cheery Victorian home, she told us that she would get up early to serve us our breakfast so that my son could eat and we wouldn't have to make two trips to the event in Chisholm. Talk about great service! Pam was so friendly and knowledgeable about the area. The suite (two bedrooms, a common room, and a bathroom) was clean with every detail accounted for, including hot chocolate mix, extra blankets, and wifi. Her breakfasts were absolutely delicious and served so elegantly - between the two mornings, we enjoyed souffle, quiche, fresh fruit, a local Croation date bread that was superb, blueberry muffins, bacon, sausage, juice, and coffee...all very tasty. We had no idea what a neat area the Iron Range is until visiting, and we are already thinking about a family vacation there and taking all three of our sons. There is a great museum in Chisholm, a lookout over the open mine area, and numerous things to do as a family. There are lots of neat local restaurants that we would love to try. Pam gave us great ideas for how to spend our limited free time while we were there, and we enjoyed her B&B tremendously.

Room Tip: They all look good! Some have their own bath. Two have their own kitchenette facilities, including the 3rd floor suite and the garden room. A family of six could easily stay in the suite as there is a king bed, two twins, and a pullout sofa.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family