“Too Good to be True ... but it's True”

Mitchell-Tappan House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hibbing
Mitchell-Tappan House
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hibbing
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Places that get *all* 5-star reviews are suspect ... because it's got to be fake, right? Nope, this is the real deal. It's clean (but not perfumey-chemical clean ... they dry the sheets outside on the clothesline so they smell like fresh air!) and nice. Close to everything you want to walk to on Howard Street (main drag of Hibbing). Beds are cushy, rooms are quiet with lots of light, there are tons of extra towels, blankets (even your own bathrobes), etc. Prices for this B&B are very reasonable, considering you get a delicious homemade breakfast. I stayed in the 3rd floor "twin beds" room which has a shared bathroom, but I was the only guest on the 3rd floor when I stayed, so I had the whole attic to myself. The owners are very careful of guests' privacy, and quick to accommodate any needs, such as breakfast times. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Next time I'm coming back with my husband to stay in the the "garden suite," a kitchenette room with a queen bed and courtyard away from the main building.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank jmichaelss
There are newer reviews for Mitchell-Tappan House

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We were travelling from Minneapolis to Winnipeg and because I wanted to breathe the air that Bobby Zimmerman had, I looked for a B & B in the area. What a find! Pam runs an absolutely fabulous home just a few blocks from Bob's childhood home. We stayed in the Oliver room, the most beautiful and comfortable space that anyone could wish for. The breakfast was superb. There was nothing more anyone could have asked for. Pam and Mike have put so much care and thought into this home and we are so grateful that they have opened it up for others to enjoy. We had dinner at the world famous Zimmy's restaurant where they sell T shirts that plead Come Home Bob. If Bob knew about the Mitchell-Tappan house he would surely come home.

Room Tip: The Oliver room has a private bath. There is a beautiful room on the 3rd floor for families.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GregandAnne
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I grew up in Chisholm, and never knew that there were so many beautiful historic homes in Hibbing or that there was a B & B this charming. I was up for a class reunion, and stayed here b/c a friend made a reservation for me. I stayed in the Oliver Room, and came home from the reunion each night very tired, but didn't want to go to bed right away because my room was too pretty to just sleep in. So, movies and relaxing were in order.

The breakfasts were delicious and the hosts were so welcoming and warm. I will definitely go back!

Loved it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Brenda T
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I chose to stay at the Mitchell-Tappan house because it had the best reviews of any lodging establishment in the area. I have to say that the reviews are all correct! Even if you are in the Iron Range for business, the Mitchell-Tappan House provides privacy as well as a serene, downtown setting. There are plenty of places to eat within walking distance of the house as well as the Mesabi trail which is only about one mile from the house. Bennett Park is also close. I stayed on the 3rd level which has 2 medrooms and a common area. I was able to get a lot of work done when I wasn't enjoying the house or the area. If I come back to the Iron Range, I will make sure I stay here.

Room Tip: Choose the 3rd Floor for the common area and extra bedroom!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank mustbere
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This was our first visit to northern Minnesota, occasioned by a wedding in Hibbing. Pam, our hostess in the B & B was very pleasant and accommodating for our 3-day stay. Her breakfasts were filling, always including fresh fruit, choice of fruit juices, some kind of eggs and sausage, pastries and good coffee. The house and rooms were over-stuffed with Victorian objects and artificial flowers but well-kept and pretty. Bed was comfortable. Some rooms had to share a bath, but Pam kindly didn't book anyone into the room with which we would have had to share the hall bathroom. She recommended wonderfully interesting tourist sights in Hibbing: Greyhound Bus museum, Hibbing High School from 1920 (really amazing), and Hall-Rust iron ore mines and local restaurants. All in all, a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with private bath, if possible
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dr_J_F_M
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband and I stayed for two nights at the elegant Mitchell-Tappan House last weekend in Hibbing, MN. It was undoubtedly the nicest B and B we have ever experienced. The room was beautiful , comfortable, and clean with all the extras one enjoys at a first class place, such as Ghirardelli dark chocolates on the bureau and a new tube of toothpaste in the bathroom. Pam fixed a delicious and magnificent three course gourmet breakfast both mornings and kindly allowed our son, who we were visiting, to join us. She is a gracious hostess and we will definitely be back soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Oliver Room, which was quite large and lovely, but we saw other lovely rooms which...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Connie V
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed at Mitchell-Tappan House on our road trip through Minnesota in our classic1966 Shelby GT350H. The Oliver Room was clean, cozy and entirely satisfactory. The breakfast was delicious and we had a nice visit with another guest during our meal. Pam was a wonderful hostess and we would highly recommend a stay at her home.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 66Shelby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hibbing
Hampton Inn Hibbing
Americas Best Value Inn Hibbing
Lakeshore Motor Inn
Lakeshore Motor Inn
#1 of 4 in Virginia

Been to Mitchell-Tappan House? Share your experiences!