All reviewsgreyhound buswithin walking distanceown bathroomgarden suitehoward streetironminnesotatrail
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Pam and Mike love this place and it shows! NO smoke odors anywhere (local shopkeeper told us the Super8 in Hibbing is where all the truck drivers stay when I mentioned the comments on this site). Lots of cheerful blues and yellows. The silk flowers mentioned elsewhere are beautifully done accent pieces and not in your face. The furnishings mix old & new, and are practical for travelers. Since it is just two blocks from downtown and located in a pleasant residential area, we enjoyed crunching through the snow on our walks every evening. Everyone keeps their sidewalks shoveled, the streets are well-lit,and the plows come through regularly. Birding on the renowned Sax-Zim Bog (a dry experience with miles of paved roads and several maintained feeders) provided a close encounter with LifeBirds: Greater Grey Owl, Hawk Owl, Hoary Redpoll, Sharp Tailed Grouse, a Borreal Chickadee among Blackcapped Chickadees,as well as a Bald Eagle, Grey Jays, several Woodpeckers, and even a Raven as well as Crows. As retired easterners who have lived out west for many years, a visit into snow country has been delightful and, thanks to the Turnbulls, comfortable!!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 6 January 2013

This home was such a surprise after viewing the big industrial digging at the mine north of town. The room we stayed in was exquisitely decorated. The whole place was right of a This Old House Magazine make-over. The bed and bedding were luxurious, the room was so large that it had a sitting area, TV, table and chairs with a beautiful crystal chandelier over the table. The separate bath was modern yet fit perfectly with the room., The Innkeeper Pam prepared a tasty frittata with fresh fruits and heavenly breads.
Pam told us that we should visit the high school before we leave town. What a mind-blower that was...it looked like a mansion, with fine art, frescos, carved moldings, gorgeous woodwork and a stained-glass front for the fire extinguisher cabinet. The local maintenance engineer gave us the grand tour.
The Minnesota Discovery Center, 5 miles north, in Chisholm, was informative and festive.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank a2grdtcher
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Places that get *all* 5-star reviews are suspect ... because it's got to be fake, right? Nope, this is the real deal. It's clean (but not perfumey-chemical clean ... they dry the sheets outside on the clothesline so they smell like fresh air!) and nice. Close to everything you want to walk to on Howard Street (main drag of Hibbing). Beds are cushy, rooms are quiet with lots of light, there are tons of extra towels, blankets (even your own bathrobes), etc. Prices for this B&B are very reasonable, considering you get a delicious homemade breakfast. I stayed in the 3rd floor "twin beds" room which has a shared bathroom, but I was the only guest on the 3rd floor when I stayed, so I had the whole attic to myself. The owners are very careful of guests' privacy, and quick to accommodate any needs, such as breakfast times. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Next time I'm coming back with my husband to stay in the the "garden suite," a kitchenette room with a queen bed and courtyard away from the main building.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank jmichaelss
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We were travelling from Minneapolis to Winnipeg and because I wanted to breathe the air that Bobby Zimmerman had, I looked for a B & B in the area. What a find! Pam runs an absolutely fabulous home just a few blocks from Bob's childhood home. We stayed in the Oliver room, the most beautiful and comfortable space that anyone could wish for. The breakfast was superb. There was nothing more anyone could have asked for. Pam and Mike have put so much care and thought into this home and we are so grateful that they have opened it up for others to enjoy. We had dinner at the world famous Zimmy's restaurant where they sell T shirts that plead Come Home Bob. If Bob knew about the Mitchell-Tappan house he would surely come home.

Room Tip: The Oliver room has a private bath. There is a beautiful room on the 3rd floor for families.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GregandAnne
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I grew up in Chisholm, and never knew that there were so many beautiful historic homes in Hibbing or that there was a B & B this charming. I was up for a class reunion, and stayed here b/c a friend made a reservation for me. I stayed in the Oliver Room, and came home from the reunion each night very tired, but didn't want to go to bed right away because my room was too pretty to just sleep in. So, movies and relaxing were in order.

The breakfasts were delicious and the hosts were so welcoming and warm. I will definitely go back!

Loved it.