“another fine meal at our special place...”

Deer Park Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Buckerell
sunny dorset
“another fine meal at our special place...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I cannot get enough of this place..
and always try to visit for a special occasion.. or even just to have a nice meal out..
the refurb is excellent.. though I did like it before as well...
Ahh the food is amazing...
I had the lamb and it was fantastic..
brilliant waiter service.. we are always made to feel special!! ..
it is wonderfully relaxing too... I know I am due to visit again very soon!!!

btw .. I am glad it is a family friendly place.. but agree that parents should make sure their kids behave ... whatever restaurant they take them too!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Andover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Great place, real relaxing, staff very welcoming, good food, best kippers I have ever eaten.

Poached eggs perfect, as far as I`m concerned if they are wright every things good for the day.

4th visit to this hotel and its had a make over, could say much for the better, but I liked it as it was, but now up with the best and better than a lot others with silly stars.

Well done keep up the good work and don`t change the kipper supliers.

Room Tip: room 9 was good, think most are
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

I had my wedding at Deer Park this week end and I just had to write to say how amazing the day was. The staff were brilliant from the time of enquiring about dates all the way through. They were so supportive and kind, welcoming and professional. They managed to get everything right for me so I didn't have to do a thing when I arrived. They had everything sorted down to the last detail and I could not rank them more highly. The bedrooms were beautiful and very reasonably priced which I was surprised about seeing as its such a gorgeous hotel. The food was the best I have had in a long time, in quality and quantity. They did everything they could to make my day perfect and it was the best week end of my life. Thank you so much to everyone there especially Peter and John the managers. Could not recommend this hotel more highly to anyone for just a trip away, a wedding or business. Wonderful.

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite was room 8 and the most beautiful room i've ever seen.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Sidmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have spent many a time at this hotel fishing their wonderful stretch of the River Otter. The hotel itself has benefited from a refurb, but still keeps a classy , almost french chique to it. The grounds are magnificent, with acres of rolling park land down to the river.

The reception is always friendly, and the food very good. The river itself meanders through the meadows, and has provided many a days entertainment. Worth packing the waders as the banks can get quite overgrown, but the beats are nicely marked with quaint titles, such as "Gitts Passage". I would start near the lower beats, and fish dry fly up stream.

The rooms are comfortable, and well furnished. Good place to get away from it all, not too far from London down the A30 too (although I now live down here). Overall, one of the good ones.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Exeter
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

We took our sons and my parents here over the Christmas period because we'd heard that the older generation like going there and the food was reasonable.

We avoided Christmas Day because there was a five-course menu, no choices at all, for £75 a head, which was ridiculously expensive for what was basically turkey and Christmas pudding with a starter, an amuse-bouche, and coffee/mints. Tough if you're a vegetarian, but I guess they could have thrown together an omelette...

The meal we had was from a set menu at £45/head, and was barely average. I had the chicken with bacon and stilton (echoes of the Hunter's Chicken you find on so many pub menus from Brake Bros/3663, but with a 'Christmas twist', perhaps?). It was bland and pretty tasteless. Veg was uninspiring.

Considering there were 7 of us in the party and food alone cost £315, I found it extremely disappointing.

The waitresses are well-meaning and helpful, but otherwise, this place came across as pretentious and with an attitude that it was so much better than it actually was.

The whole experience was not improved by a large family party on the next table with 5 small children that were actively encouraged by the parents to make as much noise as possible and constantly run around the place. Other than this party, our party seemed to be the youngest there, so I'd hoped for better. For heaven's sake, Deer Park, please have a 'well behaved children only' policy so the other guests remain undisturbed, can at least have a conversation and eat in relative peace.

Would I go back? Not out of choice.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Susan C
TheDeerPark, General Manager at Deer Park Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to review the Deer Park. We are sorry that you did not enjoy the experience when you visited us.

We were full for Christmas Day lunch and all of our guests commented on how good they enjoyed their experience on the day.

We have very positive reviews about our food at the Deer Park and many returning guests. The majority of our produce is all locally sourced and we work with quality food and drink suppliers. We feel that the price of the menu for Christmas reflected the quality of the food, not forgetting the experience of the day, and it’s on par with many hotel’s in the area. We do of course offer vegetarian options and our chef is happy to put a selection of dishes together, not just omelette as you have wrongly suggested.

We are also proud to be a family friendly hotel, and have been for years.

As part of the service we do ask how guests enjoyed their stay, and if you had shared your thoughts to us on the day rather than through Tripadvisor of course we would have acted on this.

Kind regards
Peter Yon
Braunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

A wonderful Hotel in fanastic surroundings,they have the largest collection of Sporting Memorabilla in the world,but one party room has a Caribbean taste which spoils the expensive feel of the Hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Henley on Thames
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

We first visted Deer Park in 1983. In those days, and for many years afterwards, it was the sort of place where one could forgive its shortcomings (and there were several like a shortage of hot water!) because of the welcome you always received from the owner and his staff. As the years passed those shortcomings disappeared as the hotel was upgraded.

We have celebrated most of our big anniversaries there over the years, despite living nearly 100 miles away. In recent years Peter Yon, the the General Manager, has recruited and trained a brigade of excellent young staff.The quality of those youngsters is only matched by the quality of the food still prepared as it was 25 years ago by Anne, the wife of the founder. Most importantly, despite the refurbishment the hotel has retained its warm welcome and the food remains quintessentially English - a rarity in hotels these days!

Room Tip: Animals only allowed in the Annexe rooms. These have not yet been re-furbished unlike the rooms i...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Malcolm M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckerell
Premier Inn Honiton
#2 of 13 in Sidmouth
Dower House Hotel
Dower House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rousdon

Been to Deer Park Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!