“Restaurant Ambiance Gone”

Deer Park Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Buckerell
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Came for lunch on recommendation, have not been since all has changed. The drive and house are done to fabulous standard, the flower beds look amazing. We had booked a table the meal was priced at £12.50 pp for two courses and with a glass of wine. The food was fine, but the restaurant just seemed off. We arrived early and had coffee and biscuits and waited for our order to be taken, when I approached a young man and asked for a menu he somewhat sniffly informed me that I needed to have booked, where upon I informed him that I had done so , upon checking I was right he brought some menus!! I asked for risotto but this was not available and had the chicken, could have been a bit hotter. The money spent on the Hotel and all looks amazing but still a lot more being done, good luck everyone

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Stuart B, Front Office Manager at Deer Park Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear rosieSomerset,

Thank you very much for your review of the Deer Park Country House Hotel.

I was upset to read that you did not experience the Deer Park at her best. I can assure that this is not the norm and indeed from seeing other reviews this is evident. I have spoken with the Food & Beverage Manager who has looked into your comments and taken the required training actions. As well as speaking with the chef.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to be able to show you the true Deer Park experience. Please do contact me directly when you would like to re book as I would very much like to have the opportunity to handle your booking personally.

Many thanks

Stuart Burridge
Front of House Manager

stuart@deerparkcountryhotel.co.uk

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed on Saturday evening, 10th May. Our previous visit was on the same weekend three years earlier. The hotel has greatly improved in quality and presentation in three years and these improvements are continuing, as witnessed by the fenced off discrete building works. I paid a £50 deposit on booking and a further £135 was registered to my card upon arrival. I was advised that the hotel has experienced some problems with non payment hence this policy which I have no issue with but have not experienced before. We stayed in the recently built/refurbished garden rooms. The accommodation is first class. Large room overlooking courtyard, well decorated and finished with quality furnishings and carpet. Very comfortable bed with good quality linen. The ensuite was also large and had a substantial corner bath with built over shower. Good water pressure resulting in great shower. The rooms are a short walk from the hotel and are adjacent to the rear garden. Present access is through the dining room which is not a problem but I'm sure the hotel will be changing as part of their plans.
Evening meal was delicious. Well presented, well served by attentive staff and we were particularly touched by the glasses of pink champagne we were presented with to celebrate our anniversary (I'd made a passing remark which the team must have taken on board).
Unfortunately, we had to leave early the following morning so were unable to experience the breakfast but I can be confident that it would be equally as good. These people don't do anything by halves!
We'll be back in a few years time and look forward to experiencing the continuing improvement of the Deer Park Country Hotel.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are great as they're new, but a short walk from the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Attended a friends wedding here. Lovely venue, Friendly staff. Helpful directions from staff. Gorgeous food. Would also be great for a quiet weekend away, especially if you lik fishing/ walking. Loved the huge collection of sporting pictures. V quirky

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed here for a few days mid April and it was quite the most wonderful break we have enjoyed for some time. Usually, after a couple of days at an hotel we have discovered the shortcomings and begin to long for home. I am pleased to say that I wanted to stay here much longer and hope we can return soon.

I had been slightly concerned about the quaint 'Jeeves & Wooster/Toad of Toad Hall' terminology on the website but apart from the 'Toodle Pip' on the gate was happy to find this wasn't apparent elsewhere.

We received a warm welcome on arrival and were shown the various public areas before being taken to our room which I was happy to see was light, airy and spacious. Assistance was provided with our (not insubstantial) luggage and we soon settled in. The bed was comfortable with good quality linen and the room a haven of quiet. We were in the main building so benefited from thick walls.Tea & coffee making facilities were good and fresh milk provided on request. It was very pleasing to find that the lamps in the room were of sufficient wattage to to give decent light in the evening, rather than the gloomy economy offered by other places I have stayed. There was also a personalised letter of welcome in the room, a nice touch.

Breakfast each day was a feast, with ample choice, especially the fresh fruit. Our schedule didn't allow for eating at the hotel in the evening but I'm sure it would have been good.
We did find time to walk down to the river and a short wander in the grounds where we found what I thought was a tree house but was a platform for an aerial runway. Would love to try that!

I've thought hard to see if there are any downsides to this hotel and the only tiny things I can think of would be a leaflet in the room giving meal times, (maybe put it in the welcome letter?) & a sticker explaining items such as how the electrics for the room work. (Isolation switches needed to be put 'on' for the bathroom).

I must also say I was impressed by the artwork that lined the wall, mostly of a sporting nature in the hall but in the breakfast room the mood was completely different "Caribbean meets Beryl Cook" :-)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed just 3 nights in this beautifully situated Country House Hotel.. Tucked away in 80 acres and aproached by winding country lanes yet just a few minutes fro Honiton. Our room, Forget Me not was wonderful with views over the gardens towards the River Otter. The staff are friendly, polite and helpful. The food is exceptional and the Chef and his team should be complimented on the quality and presentation. The Deer Park is a very quiet and intimate hotel for those requiring a peaceful break. We will return !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We had exclusive use of the Deer Park Country House Hotel for our Commitment Ceremony on February 8th and it was the most amazing day ever! The staff are so lovely and made us feel incredibly special and welcome. Nothing was too much trouble and the food was wonderful. We would highly recommend this place for anyone looking for somewhere special and intimate for their wedding - we guarantee you won't be disappointed! It has the lot!!! It's also a perfect place to stay even without the excuse of a special occasion - just staying there will make it a special occasion! So thanks a million to Stuart, Sophie, Mark, Mark (MD) and all the other members of staff whose names I've either forgotten or don't know - you're all brilliant! Look forward to seeing you again the middle of May.

Diane and Rob

Room Tip: If you tell Stuart your requirements he'll always advise you of the best room for you.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I was playing golf at nearby Woodbury Park and wanted a place to stay the night before with good safe parking as my gear would have to stay in the car overnight. I looked at a couple of the usual places like Holiday Inn Express, Premier Inn, etc. and then decided to look on Late Rooms. To my surprise the Deer Park Hotel, a 4 star, was showing at a cheaper all inclusive rate than any of the others I’d looked at so I decided to go for it.

Finding it using my Tom Tom was a little tricky and the drive up a single track road caused me to doubt it at times until this wonderful newly tarmac drive appeared which lead up to this large country house.

What a great place very recently updated and a location that would appeal to visitors from overseas as it has the feel of an old English country house. The grounds and views are magnificent; the hotel offers several different country pursuits none of which I tried as I was only passing through.

The room I had was small but tastefully decorated and everything in it worked.

What I was really surprised to find was a great collection of art, including original oils and sporting memorabilia all over the hotel, it takes hours just to look at all of it.

I had dinner and breakfast and found the food of to be of an excellent quality and value for money. The staff in the restaurant was very professional and performed their duties to the highest standards.

I would certainly recommend this hotel, absolutely.

Room Tip: You need to appreciate that this is an old country house and therefore some rooms, mine for instance...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Pointscollector
Stuart B, Front Office Manager at Deer Park Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Pointscollector,

Thank you very much for your review of the Deer Park Country House Hotel.

We do have a wonderful location here, which TomTom sometimes does struggle with! but it is well worth the journey down some of Devon's country lanes.

Set in 80 aceras we do indeed have some beautiful views and walks or as you did you can walk the corridors and public rooms and discover our vast collection of sporting memorabilia "The Priory Collection" one of the worlds largest and most prestigious private collections.

I am very happy to read that you dined here with us, as we have just been awarded a Rosette from the AA for our fabulous food and service.

Thank you once again Pointscollector for your review, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Please feel free to contact me directly when you are planning your next visit and I will talk you through the different room options available and which one might suit you needs better.

Kind regards

Stuart Burridge
Front of House Manager

stuart@deerparkcountryhotel.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckerell
Lakeview Manor
#1 of 1 in Rousdon
Masons Arms
Masons Arms
#1 of 2 in Branscombe

Been to Deer Park Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!