“Top Notch lunches really are Top Notch”

Deer Park Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Buckerell
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We have eaten lunch at the Deer Park several times recently and the food and value for money are unbeatable. I also arranged a lunch for 28 Probus members and they were astounded at the quality of the food and the service they received. - not to mention the value for money at £25 for two courses for two people including wine.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Stuart B, Front Office Manager at Deer Park Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Mr W,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a nice review.

Its not about getting it right, its about getting it right consistently and I am very happy to ready that we not only do that for you but also when you wanted to show us off to your Probus members we also did it for them too.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another lunch soon. We only have limited dates left in July and August as these are so popular and also being high wedding season.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our room was the Rose room No 2, it had a good frontage, but the side window overlooked the early morning delivery lorries. The hotel is going through refurbishment in certain areas, and could have noise. Also this time of year there are flies in the room when the windows are open (we got spray given) The restaurant was fully booked for the evening meal available about 9-15 pm too late when travelling all day and want to chill , so had to go else where I was told this was Laterooms fault ? for not being contacted earlier before our arrival. End of moan!!!!! We took DVDs with us as there is only so much footie to watch This is a beautiful hotel, the grounds in this wonderful weather are magical, with swings, hammocks, games to play and the wall garden is stunning, All staff are well trained, . great breakfast and would love to return when in the area again, the gripes I have mentioned have been reported to Mr S Refurbished bathroom There is no bath just a shower in room 2 and a little step up to the loo. Great king size soft bed, and maybe a change of duvet for this time of year whilst it lasts. Beautiful just beautiful if I wasn't married June 30th this year for 41 years I would go there and do it

Room Tip: We thought the rooms overlooking the walled garden and fountain looked lovely
2  Thank ohdearmeWestmidlands
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We booked last minute using TripAdvisor and booking.com and had a terrific deal. We chose the king room with garden view and were allocated "Fir". This was in a separate block from the main hotel and appeared to be fairly recently refurbished. The room and bed were both very comfortable and the usual tea / coffee / water facilities were provided. According to our confirmation, there should also have been a DVD player and bathrobes however these were not evident. My guess is that, had we asked for them, they would probably have been provided. The weather was lovely and, as the room had a sunny aspect, it was extremely warm most of the night even though the windows were left open. One interesting point (at least from a female perspective) was access to mirrors and plugs. The (not full length) mirror in the bedroom was behind the door and resting against the wall with no nearby plug sockets. These were in another area with no mirror and, although the bathroom had a socket for a shaver, this wasn't suitable for hair drying / styling. As the hotel is a popular wedding venue, this may be something to consider. Breakfast was great with both hot and cold options available and service throughout the hotel very friendly. Would certainly stay here again if in the area.

1  Thank Rossian
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Beautiful place, I'm so fussy about where I stay, but the finish and attention to detail was fab. Fantastic staff, so friendly and helpful . Amazing breakfast, the eggs benedict was to die for, my husband had the full English and said the sausage was very good. Would love to go again for a longer stay and enjoy the gardens and pizza oven.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lindsay P
Stuart B, Manager at Deer Park Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear lindsay P,

Thank you very much for your review of the Deer Park Country House Hotel.

I really am so proud to be part of the team that continues to deliver marvellous memories for our guests, from the bricks and mortar that make the building to the team members that create the atmosphere. Combine that we the food and Deer Park truly is an experience.

Thank you once again for your review, I will ensure the team all receive the recognition that they deserve.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had a text from my Significant other Monday morning to say we were booked in here that same night-SURPRISE! When we arrived we were offered an upgrade as a superior room was available for an extra few pounds and after seeing it we didn't even bother to look at the room that had been originally booked. Overlooking the beautiful garden the room was huge with a wonderfully comfortable bed ( the duvet could have been thinner or just a sheet would have done as it was so hot) the window had window seats which was a brilliant vantage point for looking at the stars in the night and watching the squirrels and bunnies in the morning.
The walks around the river are lovely and as we came back up the drive we had to try the wooden swing ( built for two) which hangs off a large tree and further along a double hammock.
The food , staff and service were faultless which makes this hotel a definite ' return to' !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear SandieDevon,

Thank you very much for your review of the Deer Park Country House Hotel.

I was very pleased indeed to read that you had enjoyed your stay and that you wished to share these moments with the Trip Advisor community!

Yes our Superior Bedrooms are rather smashing, Ill pass your comments on to our Head Housekeeper as now that it looks like summer is finally here we may well need to look at lighter bedding.

I am glad you found our swinging seat as this is really located in a very romantic spot. I am sure your Significant other has earned some brownie points for this stay!

We look forward to welcoming you both back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Firstly may I put anyones mind at rest about the quality of the driveway fully surfaced in tarmacadam from start to finish ,we were greeted at reception and shown to our room which was in the garden annex next to the hotel ,it was large, airy and very well decorated and the bed was enormous all the staff were most helpful and polite,the breakfast was excellent I would recommend this hotel without hesitation, the grounds are stunning with a lovely walk by the river otter,the only downside was the price of drinks plus no draft beer but all hotels seem to be expensive for alcohol

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Terry P,

Thank you very much for your review of the Deer Park Country House Hotel.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed one of our brand spanking new Garden rooms, recently refurbished and having £600k spent on them. The drive its self was completed in two stages one in April 2013 and the second stage in October 2013 and the difference it has made is outstanding, long distant are the memories of the previous drive.

I personally enjoy the River Otter walk daily with my dog Storm and I never grow tired of the views.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here a number of years ago, and was not overly impressed. However, things seem to have changed over recent years and although still very traditional, this is a nice place to stay.
The welcome is very good and lounge areas in the main area of the hotel nice to be able to sit and relax (or work!). The bedroom I stayed in was ok, it was called Lily, nothing exceptional, but ok. The views are nice to sit and look out over the hills.
The team working here were very friendly and welcoming.
Breakfast was unfortunately a let-down. Firstly I couldn't find the breakfast room, but this was quickly sorted, but then after standing around for a number of minutes, waiting for someone to turn up to say where to sit etc (as it wasn't clear what table was for what room), I left. The food does look nice and well set out, but I just didn't get to sit down and try any of it, which was disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Stuart B, Front Office Manager at Deer Park Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear marct0603,

Thank you for your review of the Deer Park Country House Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed some of the improvements made over the last 18 months, having spent over £1.5million a lot has been accomplished with more on the way, including the full refurbishment of 11 of our main house bedrooms which is provisionally booked for the new year. until then we are continuing with our soft furnishing refurbishment.

It was very disappointing to read that you didn't get to enjoy our splendid breakfast and have spoken to our Food & Beverage Manager regarding this, both myself and him have given our teams a little further training to ensure that this mistake does not happen again.

Please accept my most sincere apologies and do contact me directly when you are looking to stay with us here again as I would very much like the opportunity to handle your booking personally.

Many thanks

stuart@deerparkcountryhotel.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckerell
Home Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rousdon
Swallows Eaves Hotel
Swallows Eaves Hotel
#1 of 1 in Colyford

Been to Deer Park Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!