Splatthayes B&B(Buckerell)
TripAdvisor
All reviewswalled gardenbeautiful hotelwonderful weddingthe main housewedding venuebeautiful groundshis teamcountry housewedding breakfastbeautiful roomlog firepizza ovenfood was fantasticwedding receptionsunday lunchstayed longerfrom start to finish
Reviewed 11 June 2018

One of the best hotels we have stayed in. Staff, all staff including the M.D., all very courteous, helpful, and friendly. Huge grounds, including a walled garden, open to guests, where all the produce for the meals are grown.
They also have linen napkins for breakfast, most rare these days.
Well worth a stay, at reasonable prices.

Room Tip: 1st floor garden rooms
Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2018

We only had one night here but wish we had more time to enjoy the surrounds. The room was very comfortable and spacious. Staff here were friendly. We also had dinner in the restaurant and the food was very good. Menu had a good selection of food. We did have time to walk around the hotel after breakfast, the gardens are beautiful and we also went to the walled vegetable garden.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed with the family for early birthday celebrations. Were in the garden rooms as we brought the dog. The hotel was very accommodating providing a bag of treats for the dog! Rooms were very spacious but we were on the ground floor so were woken up by other guests upstairs. We took time to explore the beautiful grounds which I highly recommend.
Dinner in the restaurant was delicious, I had the lamb and the chocolate brownie, both of which were amazing and one of the best meals I’ve had in a long time!
Afternoon tea was outstanding. A variety of sandwiches, delicious scones and beautiful cakes/ patisserie - so much better than a standard afternoon tea. The breakfasts were lovely and fresh with great continental and cooked variety. The staff really were so attentive and welcoming. I hope to visit again in the future!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

We went for a one night break on a bed and breakfast basis and also booked our evening meal. The hotel is stunning and set in the most beautiful grounds. The staff were friendly and efficient. They are obviously incredibly proud of the hotel and we spent time chatting to the gardeners who was passionate about his job and the produce from the garden supplies the restaurant. Our evening meal was delicious and at £35 for 2 courses and £40 for 3 it did initially seem a tad expensive, I have to say the food was so good it was well worth the price tag
Overall it was an amazing break and one that we will certainly hope to repeat

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2018

Not a million miles from us but they had kindly donated dinner B&B to a charity function we had attended and I found myself bidding and winning it.
So we booked midweek for a quiet overnight break. The hotel delivered on every front, charming setting in beautiful grounds with the inside of the hotel being comfortably welcoming in a stylish manner. Very country house. All the furnishing was like your favourite sofa at home. Not sure who drives the artwork but there is a preponderance of sporting art with a heavy focus on Cricket and Rugby, I found it appealing and interesting and made my walk from our room to the restaurant a slow one as I took in the art.
The room was lovely with a stylish bathroom that was a very good size with separate bath and shower. The bed was a bit soft for my liking, but that's a personal preference not a criticism. Huge sash windows which we opened fully as it was a very warm day.
Dinner was delightful with really good quality food, with much of the veg coming from the walled garden. Incidentally on a Dinner B&B we expect an allowance for dinner and some contribution ourselves. We were told we could have anything we liked, three courses with the only supplement being on the cheese at the end. And I have to say that was well worth it. My only criticism is it would have been great to have been told what the cheeses were, we figured it all out but the exact provenance of each would have been nice to know.
The staff were unanimously personable, smiling and welcoming without "hovering" . All of them seemed to be walking around with a smile on their face, clearly good management/proprietors. Whilst walking around the grounds we wandered through the walled garden with it's kitchen produce in abundant growth, the gardener there couldn't have been nicer. He stopped and told us all about the walled garden, what they were growing and when. Very informative.
Overall we loved it and will be back, personally probably not from a Thursday to Saturday as the venue, understandably, is a very popular wedding venue so I suspect the whole place would be taken over by the wedding and it's guests so maybe not so quiet then. I say this not as a criticism just be aware if you are looking for a quiet country break, ask is there a wedding on when you intend to stay, as I suspect if there is it may not be the complete tranquility you seek.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple