“Fantastic place under new management”

Greyhound Country Inn
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Having seen some poor reviews I was compelled to let you know the new owners are doing great things with the Inn. Good honest pub food, Sunday carvery was fab. Really nice family run business. Even got a petting Zoo - Loads of parking and easy to get too near Honiton Devon - Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Nigel F

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Hi ive seen all the reviews of the Grey Hound Pub at Fenny Bridges and i would have agreed with them ,BUT 3 MONTHS AGO IT WAS TAKEN OVER BY NEW OWNERS WHO HAVE WORKED BLOODY HARD TO DO THEY PLACE UP AND IF YOU GO THERE NOW ITS FANTASTIC, the B&B part is not open yet but by easter will be ready and i think if you give it a try now you will not be disapointed

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank PeterLovellSidmouth
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Ok so we left it late and arrived in Honiton for a stop-off as 9pm approached. We drove past the Greyhound and I called to see about availability and prices. The fact that the kitchen was only open for a few more minutes kind of compelled us to accept their offer. £65 for bed and breakfast sounded reasonable so in we went. Food was ok and of a reasonable standard and price. The service was good, nice chap originally from Leicester behind the bar, all seemed rosy....
We were shown to our room which, on first glance, seemed more than a bit tired looking. However it was a decent size, with a tv, and the bathroom appeared adequate (even though the floor looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months!). It was the bed that caused the quizzicle expressions on my wife's face, and when i laid down I realised why. When my head hit the pillow i felt like my feet were about a foot above my head. The matress was so old and worn that it appeared to collapse to something resembling the thickness of an after-eight mint! And as for the pillows, well, some hotels leave the aforementioned mints on pillows to welcome you; this place got the wrong end of the stick and gave us pillows which more closely resembled mints than pillows. As we were tired we thought we'd make the best of it and get what sleep we could. Why is it that we get so typically British at times like this and 'take it on the chin' rather than make a noise and complain?!
In a feeble attempt to make my pillow resemble something more fitting on which to rest my head, i folded each one in half and laid my weary head down to sleep. If i had partaken of copious amounts of wine then sleep might have greeted me before what was encrusted on my pillow did. I can only describe it as a thin coat of dried plaster (at least this is what i keep telling myself!) Hands washed and pillow sent to the corner with it's hands on its head I managed a reasonable night's sleep.
In the morning, after comparing notes with 'she who must be obeyed' we decided to just get some breakfast and make our way to Pippa and Hugo's in Padstow (Woodlands, 5*) and put this one behind us. We got downstairs and were greeted by the maintenance man, who said he'd sort breakfast, and made us what was the nicest cup of coffee I've had in a long time (i say that with no jest or sarcasm whatsoever) Sadly this seemed to be all the breakfast would consist of so we paid up and left.
It's a shame that attention to cleanliness isn't high on the list of priorities for The Greyhound. It has charm, warmth, friendly faces and promise. Sadly it doesn't deliver when it comes to the accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank marky15002
Reviewed 21 March 2009

This used to be a fantastic place to eat and drink..but on our latest visit, it was horrible, there were many items that were not available.... We were bitterly dissapointed. We would not recommend here anymore and would def not visit again......

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank chunkiecharlie
Reviewed 29 October 2008

A beautiful ye olde pub, nice surroundings, rooms, staff and especially the food, traditional food with big portions. when we arrived we were welcomed by big smiles and humour at the bar. the young gentleman that seemed to run the inn was very polite and helpful, i would recommend to stay here if you ever find yourself goin to the devonshire area.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 12 July 2007

Not changed from reviews. Rooms dirty, restaurant dirty, kitche n dirty, no eye for detail, in fact who place had a dirty feel and smell, never itched so much. Staff seemed unmotivated which I feel reflected in the whole place.

• Stayed: June 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 4 June 2007

Arrived and was welcomed with a smile.We had booked 6 months before hand to go to a friends wedding.Food was good as was the service and always with a smile.Would go back again.

Stayed: June 2007
Wellington Farm Bed & Breakfast
The Heathfield Inn
The Heathfield Inn
#5 of 16 in Honiton

Been to Greyhound Country Inn? Share your experiences!