“Home away from home near Escot Park”

Greyhound Country Inn
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I found this Inn while looking for accommodation near Escot Park where I had a short term job. What a delight. The pub section on the ground floor was a good old fashioned comfortable pub with timber beams, fireplace and strings of hops hanging from the ceiling. It immediately felt like the kind of place that catered to locals as well as welcoming to travellers like myself, going for good beer, good food and good atmoshphere as opposed to the "boutique decore" effect

Easy to find off the A30 and with plenty of parking, I was able to enter through the back entrance and immediately shown registration and my room. The bedrooms are upstairs and instead of numbers, have names. Mine was the Ottery. It was ensuite with a view out front and had all the expected features: tea/coffee facilities, freeview TV, toiletries. The decoration seemed realtively new and comfortable.

I had my evening meals in the puib and took full advantage of the evening specials: pie & pint one night, two steak meals for one on another (I was with a business colleague). I was sorry I missed the Sunday Roast as I was working during the day but the special Greyhound Inn burgers in the evening made up for it. That and a pint of Otter Ale and I was well satisfied.

What really made this place special were the people. I was well looked after by Kim and Tom who chatted when I wanted company, left me to my own when I was busy. Janice took care of the booking and registration, always had a smile and the time to exchange pleasantries and served a lovely breakfast. When I explained that I had to be out at 6.30 one morning they still offered to do breakfast. I didn't want to drag anyone up that early and declined but ended up compromising when they brought a tray with cereals, milk and juice to my room so I could have a bite while getting ready to leave. They even made me a sandwich for lunch, which came in very handy when I was working flat-out later that day.

I stay in so many hotels for business that it is a welcome treat for me to stay in a place like the Greyhound Inn where I can feel comfortable and well looked after and never felt like just a "unit" checking in or out of a souless place.

Room Tip: The only thing I would mention about my room facing the front of the hotel was the outside light whi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed here for three nights to be close to Combe House for a wedding. It was fantastically located and the friendly welcome and excellent service made all the difference. Janice and her team were all so accommodating and ensured we were well looked after, Janice even offering us a lift back up to the venue the morning after the wedding to collect our car. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful and all freshly cooked.

The rooms are lovely and have everything you need; it's obvious that the place is still gradually being worked on but it was a pleasure to stay there and we'd certainly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vicky S
Reviewed 17 October 2012

a charming period country inn,in wonderful rural countryside..we had a lovelly two day break with comfortable room.the menu is extensive and tremendous value.the ambience and staff are very accomadating and friendly.the local town is charming and within easy access.we wil be recommending it to all our family and friends and look forward to returning someday soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank trisha r
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I originally booked into the Greyhound for a couple of nights but I ended up staying for weeks while working in nearby Ottery St Mary. The Inn is a family run business and they could not be any more friendly and helpful, nothing is ever a problem. I ate there almost every night during my stay and the food was very good and very generous portions. If i have ever have to work in the area again I will definately return to the Greyhound.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Dandoyler
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We arrived at the Greyhound after 80 miles of hard cycling in the pouring rain and howling wind, trying our best to raise money for Cancer Research! Whatever we threw at the Greyhound, they helped us out from accomodating the 6th person in our team, ensuring that our kit was securely locked away in their garage and filling us with ample portions of really good food.....The rooms were comfortable and warm and nothing was too much trouble for the friendly staff

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mark L
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Please ignore earlier reviews as they relate to earlier times when the pub was being poorly managed and was allowed to fall into a little bit of disrepair. It reopened in January 2012 under new management and has been given a completely new lease of life. The tatty thatch has been replaced and everything inside is a vast improvement. Food quality and service are both fantastic and the new owners are obviously working hard to bring this wonderful location back to its former glory. I look forward to this returning to a busy and vibrant pub & B&B - it deserves to go far!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank JulianHall
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Having seen some poor reviews I was compelled to let you know the new owners are doing great things with the Inn. Good honest pub food, Sunday carvery was fab. Really nice family run business. Even got a petting Zoo - Loads of parking and easy to get too near Honiton Devon - Highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
The White Hart Inn
The White Hart Inn
#3 of 3 in Wilmington
Wellington Farm Bed & Breakfast

Been to Greyhound Country Inn? Share your experiences!