“Terrible..never again”

Greyhound Country Inn
somerset
“Terrible..never again”
Reviewed 21 March 2009

This used to be a fantastic place to eat and drink..but on our latest visit, it was horrible, there were many items that were not available.... We were bitterly dissapointed. We would not recommend here anymore and would def not visit again......

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank chunkiecharlie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
derbyshire
Reviewed 29 October 2008

A beautiful ye olde pub, nice surroundings, rooms, staff and especially the food, traditional food with big portions. when we arrived we were welcomed by big smiles and humour at the bar. the young gentleman that seemed to run the inn was very polite and helpful, i would recommend to stay here if you ever find yourself goin to the devonshire area.

• Liked — food and service
  • Disliked — more things to do.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
aggrieved
Reviewed 12 July 2007

Not changed from reviews. Rooms dirty, restaurant dirty, kitche n dirty, no eye for detail, in fact who place had a dirty feel and smell, never itched so much. Staff seemed unmotivated which I feel reflected in the whole place.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — it was generally dirty
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Worcester
Reviewed 4 June 2007

Arrived and was welcomed with a smile.We had booked 6 months before hand to go to a friends wedding.Food was good as was the service and always with a smile.Would go back again.

Stayed June 2007
London
Reviewed 3 January 2007

Friends wedding nearby Honiton. The Greyhound was recommended on their lit of hotels to stay nearby with a wedding party rate. Booked in the June, paid a deposit on my credit card. Rushed 200 miles from London to Devon, saw the wedding, tried to check into the Greyhound prior to the reception, only to be told all hotel keys had been picked up. They couldn't view their booking system to see who pciked them up as it was locked upstairs (unsure how they manage to take bookings then), the manager was convieniently out, the manger conviently had no mobile phone with which to contact him. Asked if they could book us into another hotel. They didn't know any others, didn't even have a yellow pages. Completely unhelpful staff, who were very young and to be honest had no idea of customer service. It got so bad the customers in the pub offered to phone around for us as the Greyhound were completly unhelpful. What made it bad is I was given my deposit back in cash but strangly enough they never checked my name in the bookigns which proves to me they just gave the room away. In the end we had to drive back 200 miles to London as all rooms nearby had be taken by various wedding guests. We'd set off at 6.30am that morning and arrived back to London at 11pm the same day. I missed my firends wedding recpetion. Later found out we weren't the only members of the wedding party who had booked, paid a deposit but found their room had been given away. Basically, don't book here as you're not guaranteed a room.

• Liked — Nothing as we didn't even manage to get into the room even though we'd booked and paid.
  • Disliked — The unhelpfulness of the staff.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay well clear.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank ssggtt
London
Reviewed 8 September 2006

I booked the Greyhound back in April this year in order to see one of my best friends get married. The Inn was recommended by the bride and they'd put a few rooms away for the wedding party. I called up, told them I was part of the wedding party, gave them the dates and put down a deposit to secure a room.

The wedding day came and my boyfriend and I set off at 6.30am Saturday morning from London, to travel 200 miles to the wedding. We saw the ceremony and then went to the Greyhound to check in prior to the reception. To my disgust we were told that the rooms had all gone. I couldn't believe it, 200 miles and no where to stay. The barmaid was some jumped up little [--] who was quite frankly rude and couldn't give a care in the world. I told her we had a reservation and had put down a deposit. She didn't care and just reiterated the rooms had all gone. So, I suggested seeing as they had made the mistake they can phone round to find another room. Anyone with some manners would have taken the initiative to do that in the first place without having to ask. Due to Honiton being a small place in the middle of the sticks, all rooms were booked and taken by the wedding party. So, we had no place to stay. I didn't believe the barmaid when she was saying she couldn't see the booking so I asked to see the reservation book. I was promptly told I can't see it as it's locked away??!!!?? (So, how do you take bookings?) I asked for my deposit back which she promptly gave me without seeing any ID (Is that normal practice?). At this point the reception had started and we were getting desperate. So much so, customers of the Inn started calling around for us on their mobile.

I then asked to see the manager as I was furious at this point. I was told he was out. I asked to see who was in charge. I was told nobody. I asked when the Manager would be back. I was told they didn't know. I asked for the Managers mobile number. I was told he didn't have one. Seemed all very convieient to me. Who leaves their pub and livelihood in the hands of some YTS, school drop out with no contact details for emergencies?? Nobody! What I believe happened is the greedy manager knew very well we we're coming along as they had our booking and deposit. However, somebody came along prior to us arriving and offered them more money for the room. In the end it ruined the day. The nearest room was in Exeter 30 miles away. By the time we would have arrived at the reception the meal would have been half way over and it would have been very rude to walk in through that, so we decided to forget it and head 200 miles back to London. What a great day!!! Learn from this experience. Don't stay at the Greyhound Inn (unless you own a tent that you can pitch) as the chances are you'll be sleeping in your card!!!

1 Thank Trekker1234
#1 of 2 in Yarcombe
The Heathfield Inn
The Heathfield Inn
#6 of 17 in Honiton

Been to Greyhound Country Inn? Share your experiences!