“Never ever, ever, ever go - rude, useless, ignore reservations”

Greyhound Country Inn
Reviewed 8 September 2006

I booked the Greyhound back in April this year in order to see one of my best friends get married. The Inn was recommended by the bride and they'd put a few rooms away for the wedding party. I called up, told them I was part of the wedding party, gave them the dates and put down a deposit to secure a room.

The wedding day came and my boyfriend and I set off at 6.30am Saturday morning from London, to travel 200 miles to the wedding. We saw the ceremony and then went to the Greyhound to check in prior to the reception. To my disgust we were told that the rooms had all gone. I couldn't believe it, 200 miles and no where to stay. The barmaid was some jumped up little [--] who was quite frankly rude and couldn't give a care in the world. I told her we had a reservation and had put down a deposit. She didn't care and just reiterated the rooms had all gone. So, I suggested seeing as they had made the mistake they can phone round to find another room. Anyone with some manners would have taken the initiative to do that in the first place without having to ask. Due to Honiton being a small place in the middle of the sticks, all rooms were booked and taken by the wedding party. So, we had no place to stay. I didn't believe the barmaid when she was saying she couldn't see the booking so I asked to see the reservation book. I was promptly told I can't see it as it's locked away??!!!?? (So, how do you take bookings?) I asked for my deposit back which she promptly gave me without seeing any ID (Is that normal practice?). At this point the reception had started and we were getting desperate. So much so, customers of the Inn started calling around for us on their mobile.

I then asked to see the manager as I was furious at this point. I was told he was out. I asked to see who was in charge. I was told nobody. I asked when the Manager would be back. I was told they didn't know. I asked for the Managers mobile number. I was told he didn't have one. Seemed all very convieient to me. Who leaves their pub and livelihood in the hands of some YTS, school drop out with no contact details for emergencies?? Nobody! What I believe happened is the greedy manager knew very well we we're coming along as they had our booking and deposit. However, somebody came along prior to us arriving and offered them more money for the room. In the end it ruined the day. The nearest room was in Exeter 30 miles away. By the time we would have arrived at the reception the meal would have been half way over and it would have been very rude to walk in through that, so we decided to forget it and head 200 miles back to London. What a great day!!! Learn from this experience. Don't stay at the Greyhound Inn (unless you own a tent that you can pitch) as the chances are you'll be sleeping in your card!!!

1  Thank Trekker1234

Wellington Farm Bed & Breakfast
The Heathfield Inn
The Heathfield Inn
#5 of 16 in Honiton

Been to Greyhound Country Inn? Share your experiences!