“Willows”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Lake City
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Willows”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have stayed at the Willows condo twice in the last two years. I might try to make it an annual tradition. It's such a beautiful drive between Lake City and Wabasha especially in Fall when the leaves are turning color with the bluffs and Lake Pepin.

The service at the Willows has been very good and friendly and they have a nice restaurant downstairs that is not affiliated with the Willows but is very convenient. They have a very nice breakfast buffet and it's nice to enjoy it while sitting by the lake. In the condo they have a nice kitchen if you want to do your own cooking. The rooms were clean. I have only stayed in the one bedroom condo and they have a fold out couch in the living room to enjoy watching tv at night with the gas fireplace. The views of Lake Pepin are beautiful, the sunrise was awesome.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Elmwood, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Well, all I can say is....WOW!!!!! When reading the reviews of this place....I want you to seriously look past the negative ones, and read the positive ones. Not quite sure why anyone that stayed at Willows on the River could not have a positive stay there. My husband and I have traveled through out the world, and this place is a "Diamond in the Ruff". We enjoyed everything from the the front desk employees/cleaning staff greeted us with a simile/and there was NOTHING negative about out stay here. We enjoyed it so much that we have rebooked another stay in a couple weeks. As for the negative reviews...all I can say is.....trust me....this is a very very nice place. Put Willows on the River" a must stay as your traveling through this part of the country!

Room Tip: We stayed in Units 305 and 306. Perfect in all ways! Absolutely ..no complaints
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenny S
Wabasha, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We found this place by accident, I will be back! Right on the water and the pictures are exactly what you get. A full kitchen is awesome, I couls stay forever! Love it. Staff was so accomodating. What a lovely place, and very clean.

Room Tip: Top floors have views that feel like you are right on the water
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EagleWatching2011
bloomington,mn
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

This is a condo on Lake Pepin that is spacious, clean, well-equipped, and has something you rarely find in rental units---comfortable furniture and plenty of hooks in the bathroom! Once you're into the off season it's harder to find good restaurants open. But there's actually a pretty good one right here on the water, Sunsets. Oh yes, I forgot to mention, the condos are right on the lake

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank gardengrlToucan12
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed three nights for our 30th anniversary. I would recommend this condo to anyone. It is clean,very large and you cannot find this view for this price.
Golf "The Jewel". That course is a hidden treasure.. Get a stay and play package and the golf is so reasonable.
We are going back next year.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Mpls
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We have stayed at ‘The Willows’ three times in the past year. The location is great, and the facilities are pretty nice.

HOWEVER, I am upset that they don't recycle, hence the low service rating! For some people this may not be a big deal, but to me it is. I’m guessing there are other like-minded people that may be interested in knowing this BEFORE they book their next stay.

The Willows is trying to give guests the perception that they’re environmentally responsible, and that they care about their community, environment, etc. Their room keys have a nice little ‘Go Green’ spiel about reusing keys, and they have recycling bins in the room. But it’s all just a warm and fuzzy show. They don’t recycle and they don’t care.
I've asked various Front Desk employees why they don’t recycle. I’ve been told that they only recycle aluminum cans and “that’s just the way it is.” One employee told me it’s because there isn't a company that fits their needs. Another employee told me it’s because there isn’t enough space.

As far as only aluminum – it’s better than nothing, I guess. But, it’s not enough.

As far as an available company to collect - Americinn, right across the street, has recycling. The marinas have recycling. Small, rural communities out in the middle of nowhere have recycling. Oh yeah, I called Hagedorn Enterprises who currently collects their garbage, and they offer recycling. Hagedorn said it’s a customer preference, and that The Willows have decided not to recycle.

As far as their concern about space for containers - The output that the facility is generating will be the same. Over time they may be able to get rid a dumpster, or reduce the number of times it is collected. This may save them money over the long run?

As far as “that’s just the way it is” - that’s not a good enough reason. That’s not the way it has to be. They’re either being incredibly cheap, because they MIGHT have to pay a couple extra dollars a month to recycle. Or, they don’t care. If they don’t care, I guess that’s their choice, but they shouldn’t try to pretend like they do.

What does Skyline, the attached restaurant, do with all their waste? Don’t they recycle all the wine and beer bottles, and all the packaging/containers from the kitchen? It just doesn’t make any sense to me.

If we stay there again, I guess we’ll have to bring my own trash bag to take recyclable items home.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank DarrenO505
Nancy N, Owner at Willows on the River, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
The opening line “They don’t recycle” is false, also the statement that “we don’t care” is not at all accurate.
Willows does recycle, we recycle aluminum as well as cardboard and paper. This accounts for 98% of our recyclables. We have recycle containers in all units. This person has called every front desk employee of ours for several days to try and elicit certain answers. Our front desk staff many of whom do not deal with the cleaning staff or take out the garbage, are seasonal and while being questioned did not know what to say. He was directed to call Management and when he was called he never returned our call. We are not “cheap” as was stated, and we care very much about our environment. In Lake City, MN glass, tin, plastic, and aluminum are all co-mingled and placed into one dumpster. Paper and cardboard are placed in a separate dumpster.
We are always improving and striving to do whatever we can to be good stewards of the environment, and will continue to do so, with the Willows and all of our businesses.
We do have "do not disturb signs" on the doors for the guest to indicate if they would like housekeeping to do room service, and we also have small signs in the bathrooms asking that if you don't need clean towels, hang them up so we know we don't need to take them and wash them. We also have plastic key cards that we reuse, and ask guest to return them to the desk. We do recycling in many ways.
Our amenities, plastics key cards, notices and door hangers are all part of our suppliers Living Green Program, they are made from recycled packaging materials, soy based ink and liquids are biodegradable so as not to pollute the Lake.

As for the restaurant, that is NOT part of our business and we have no connection other than being next door , we don't own it or manage it. We have nothing to do with what they do or don’t recycle.
Fountain City, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 July 2013

If you're looking for a beautiful view this place had it. But that's all it has. My husband and I recently stayed here and this is what we encountered. Stuffing was falling out of the arm of the couch, there was a piece of wood stuck at the bottom of our patio door (perhaps this was supposed to be the lock), no handle on the inside of the patio door screen, there was a gap between the door and door jam so you could see into the hallway with the door shut and the "king sized' bed had a big hump in the middle. The pool and hot tub were full of sand. We ended up leaving this place at 11:00 p.m. to find a good night sleep elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa W
Nancy N, Owner at Willows on the River, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
The number one compliment we get on our survey cards is "this is the cleanest place we have ever stayed", the second being our friendly and accommodating staff. When the customer called at 11 pm and stated that we have no king sized bed but we had 2 single beds pushed together, we explained that all king sized beds come with a 2 part boxed spring and the mattress was about 2 years old. We have not had a single complaint on any bed we have. We took the extra measure to thoroughly examine the bed and used a yard stick to check for any lumps or dips as suggested by a major manufacturer and found no lumps, or middle hump. We go the extra mile to make sure everyone is enjoying their stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake City
Best Western Rivertown Inn & Suites
Nichols Inn Red Wing
Nichols Inn Red Wing
#5 of 9 in Red Wing

Been to Willows on the River? Share your experiences!