“Amazing food & atmosphere”

Nosh Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Lake City
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Had dinner with friends. The location, ambiance and cozy setting make this the perfect get-away for an excellent meal. Food was fresh, flavorful and the menu was varied. Service was excellent. Absolutely a redo for us and well worth the 40 minute drive.

1  Thank RGTravelIng

Reviewed 25 September 2013

NOSH is one of our favorite restaurants in the area: it offers locally sourced ingredients and interesting flavor combinations. Much as it offers a break from the small-town offerings, however, NOSH still has some shortcomings. Primary among these is the inability of the restaurant management to order an appropriate amount of product to serve a daily special throughout the course of a night's service. Every time I have been there - every time! - my server informs me of the special or specials, only to return after I order my chosen dish to tell me that the kitchen no longer has the ingredients available. To the credit of one ambitious server, there was an evening where we were informed of the special (at 6:00 p.m., mind you) and then told that there only was one portion remaining. The server checked back about every five minutes to see whether we were going to order the special to ensure that we didn't miss out, but the situation still begged the question: why would a supposedly five-star restaurant and the "most worth the drive" restaurant in the state not have enough portions of the protein of the day to make it past one hour's worth of dinner service? The same thing happened tonight, unsurprisingly. This time, however, the server didn't even bother to tell us of the special and instead stated that we had missed it and we wouldn't want to hear about it because we would have been disappointed to have missed it. Quite a customer service faux pas, in my opinion. We also were cheated of our amuse bouche and later forced to wait for our check while our server chatted with a neighboring table for which she hadn't served the entire evening. Overall, I have enjoyed this restaurant for the past three years, but I think they need a refresher course in business administration and customer service to enjoy continued success in the future.

3  Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

A client of my wife recommended we try Nosh during a recent visit. I had the scallops over the duck and I was glad I made that choice. I will go on record that I do not prefer curry but my wife tells me that this scallop preparation had a bit of curry flavor. The scallops just melt in your mouth and burst with flavor. Served over a bed of coconut sticky rice. I could eat it again and again. Our friends had the duck. Honestly, I was not impressed with this concept. The Nosh version of a chocolate lava cake is great and works because of the raspberry sauce. Worth a visit.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Nosh almost got an excellent from me, except for a couple things. The location is wonderful. It's in a perfect spot overlooking the marina and Lake Pepin. We had an ideal night on the deck. The meal started perfectly with our first server. She was attentive, knowledgable and friendly. She and the chef were sensitive to a food allergy, and made a special amuse bouche for us. I had the heirloom tomato salad with basil ice cream - it was amazing! I can't say enough about how delicious that salad was. My husband had the radicchio salad that was very good. We then shared the exotic mushroom first course. It was wonderful.

Issues arose when we started getting passed off to different servers. In the end we had 3 servers and I think because of this, our service and food suffered. I sat for nearly 20 minutes without an offer of a wine refill. We had to flag someone down, whereas with our original server, she noticed when my husband needed a second glass without us saying anything.

Finally, when we got our dinner, my sockeye salmon was overdone. I love sockeye, so it was disappointing. I think our meal sat waiting for us because of the changing server issue and the fish sat too long. It was the same situation for my husband's paella. It is unfortunate because it was such a lovely meal and location. That said, the chef changed the accompaniment with my dish due to an allergy. I appreciated his care in this. Finally, the medium rare chocolate cake was wonderful and worth the splurge.

We will definitely try the restaurant again, but we will be sure to get there sooner so we are not passed from server to server. We arrived a little after 8. Nosh stops serving at 9. We both agree that our food and service suffered due to changing servers. I hope the restaurant will rethink this policy. The quality of the food is excellent and it's a shame to see it suffer. We thought the prices were appropriate.

All in all, we enjoyed our anniversary dinner and look forward to trying Nosh again. I hope to give it an excellent next time.

2  Thank greengirl68
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Took a day trip to Lake City today to dine at Nosh and we weren't disappointed. We started with the calamari, which was very tasty - yes, the portion was quite small but it is meant to be a small plate and was only $5. They were serving a special salad this evening - heirloom tomatoes with basil ice cream, balsamic reduction, olive oil, sea salt...absolutely delicious! The basil ice cream was such a nice change from the typical fresh basil. The roasted beet and arugula salad was very good too. For entrees we chose the seafood paella and the house pasta. The paella was delicious with shrimp, scallops, mussels, chorizo - definitely something to have again. The pasta was also very good - even though the portion was fairly small, it was quite rich and filling so I was actually glad for the smaller portion. Service was excellent - we had numerous servers attending to us throughout our meal which was a little different, but it meant that we never had to wait for someone to clear dishes, refill water, etc. Very nice view from the upper level as well. We will definitely return; next time we will likely try a variety of the small plate and first course offerings, and skip a main course so that we can try more of their dishes.