“Neighbourhood gem”

Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Alphington, Australia
“Neighbourhood gem”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Hadn't been here for about 7 years but had heard it continued to be a great restaurant. We were not disappointed by a great meal. The whole snapper was fabulous, wished we had stuck to more of the same. We did try deep fried kangaroo as well which I was doubtful about but it was good too. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone and feel very proud that such a great restaurant is just round the corner. Really should try to go more often than twice in 7 years!

• Visited April 2014

Melbourne, Australia
“Great food & service”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We visited for a special dinner without the kids. The service and good were excellent. Fair pricing and great menu selection. Easy parking nearby and close to train station. The staff were very friendly and the atmosphere was relaxed and welcoming. Highly recommended.

1 Thank DrSwazza
melbourne
“Memorable Thai dinner in the 'burbs'”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We wanted to try out a new restaurant so I had a look at the good old Entertainment book and found Paladarr located near the Alphington train station. Tried to book online but there was no availability;however, I still rang in the off chance that there was a booking cancellation. I was offered an early seating at 6 to 8 pm instead. We were the first ones, and we were seated at the back room which overlooked a small garden.
We ordered the Issan (which we were told was the north east region of Thailand) appetizer with the betel leaf and palm sugar sauce which was refreshing. Then we had a small size of the seared prawns which had a lovely sweet sour sauce. For mains we had the deep fried snapper (whole fish) complemented with a green apple and crunchy cashew nut salad, the chicken curry and the sliced pork belly with Chinese broccoli. Everything was great: the apple salad had the right sourness that was a good match to the fried fish; the chicken curry was the best we had in Melbourne, quite creamy but the portion size was way too small to be considered main size, and there was not enough chicken pieces; the pork belly stir fry had twice cooked pork pieces accompanied by crunchy and tasty greens. Unfortunately, the rice was not refillable, unlike some places such as Red Spice Road and Longrain.
For desserts, we shared: the seasonal mango and sticky rice and would have wanted the rice a bit softer and a tad sweeter since the mango slices were a bit tart; and the lemon tart with raspberry sorbet (they ran out of vanilla ice cream) was not as sour as typical lemon tarts which was just as well because the sorbet was, so in the end it was an okay balance.
This is a high end restaurant even though it is tucked away in the 'burbs' but it had good food and good service.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank MRYMelbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“First visit to Paladarr - Family Gathering”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I must say that I was quite pleasantly surprised by the enjoyable evening I spent at Paladarr last week. I am not usually one to go for Thai food as I can find the sauces quite heavy but everything I tasted here didn't taste like it was out of a can but made from scratch and you really can taste the difference when food is fresh.

The only thing that would make me think twice about returning is the wine, quite a vinegary taste to the white sauvignon which I found dissapointing because I love a glass of white with a meal.

All in all a lovely meal but I would suggest that they expand the options of whites they have available. Staff were very pleasant.

• Visited October 2013
Canberra, Australia
“Overpriced Thai Issan food that is unauthentic and lacking harmony”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We were really looking forward to the food and drove all way from Docklands to eat here with a Dimmi voucher. We ordered the duck curry, steamed fish and papaya salad with jasmine rice and a bottle of the scuttlebutt semillion sav Blanc 2012. Oh what a disappointment! I ate this type of food everyday for the first 20 years of my life and cannot believe what we were served up at this restaurant. It was an insult to Issan food. There was a complete lack of harmony between the elements of the dishes with both the papaya salad and steamed fish sauce being far too strong and almost unpalatable. We only ate it because we knew we had to pay for it and needed to leave the restaurant within a set timeframe. The wine was awful with an oily aftertaste. My advice is get a new chef and some expert advice on your wine list. If we didn't have the Dimmi voucher as a discount I would have refused to pay over $110 for what was offered up.

• Visited October 2013