“I give Sawa Japan a big thumbs down.”

sawa japan steakhouse sushi
Ranked #38 of 70 Restaurants in Lakeville
Good for: Child-friendly
Lakeville
“I give Sawa Japan a big thumbs down.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I’ve been to Sawa Japan twice… once for lunch and once for dinner. Both times were an awful experience. From bitter tasting hot tea to grocery quality sushi the food was awful. On top very low quality sushi and sashimi the price was Way higher than many of the higher quality sushi restaurants in the area.

• Visited October 2013

minnesota
“Great food poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

Food is really great and the preparer was fun. But there was no one available for drinks or getting our final bill. Took 20 min just to get out of there.

• Visited February 2013
“Place went downhill!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

We loved this place but on our odor today we were very disappointed. The chef was just Ok and seemed to nOt put much effort in. Both my kids ordered the steak and was almost entirely fat! Told the waitress and she said sorry. I asked her to show the manager and he never came over and just told her to take half off. We won't be back!!

Minnesota, USA
“Hibachi good - service not”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

I've been to this restaurant many times and love their sushi. I've tried the hibachi a few times and it has been good as well. I was very disappointed when we dined their last weekend. Our server was not friendly, and was a lot more interested in going home than working. We were the last table on the hibachi side of the restaurant, but there were still new tables on the other side. When my husband and I were not even 1/2 way through our dinners, the server asked us if we wanted boxes. ??? Then she did not ask if we wanted dessert, did not ever bring us more water or ask about beverages, although she did return to plop down our bill (as soon as we turned down the offer of boxes). The other diners at our table had a baby with them, so they did use the boxes, paid and left. It was a very awkward and disappointing end to what started off to be a nice experience. We both had nothing left to drink with the final 1/4 of our dinner, and felt rushed. The staff was stacking up everything and scrubbing around us. I understand that if we'd finished eating and stayed beyond closing time, but they were still open and we weren't even given a reasonable amount of time to eat. VERY disappointing. I wish we could have tipped our chef and our busser and stiffed our waitress. And I never stiff. Since I know they split tips there, I did not want to punish the other staff so we left 20%.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Kathryn_in_MN
Minnesota, USA
“Great Hibachi Chefs & Wonderful Sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

I've been to Sawa for sushi in the past and it has always been wonderful. Last weekend I enjoyed their Hibachi for the first time. Their Hibachi chefs are great and put on a spectacular show! The food was good, and it was fun. If you wanted, you could have Saki squirted into your mouth - as much as you could take from a squirt bottle. They also flip food bits into your mouth from the grill if you want to try that.

I have a mushroom allergy, and they were very accommodating - cooking my vegetables first and separately. I had the scallops and they were fantastic! I had very large scallops cooked perfectly. That is hard to find these days. My husband had the shrimp and it was also good. You start with onion soup (this has mushrooms in it, so they substituted Miso soup for me), then salad with ginger dressing, then all Hibachi meals include shrimp appetizer (2 shrimp), vegetables, Asian noodles, rice (you can get fried rice for an additional cost), and your choice of main entree (lobster, shrimp, scallops, salmon, chicken, steak, or a combo).

They have a large selection of Saki and also carry Japenese beers - one is a 22 ounce bottle. They have a choice of small or large for the hot Saki, and two persons can share the large. The service was very good from the wait staff, bussers, and chefs.

I would suggest reservations on weekend nights. Keep in mind that if you go early and choose Hibachi, you will likely have children seated at your table. We had some, but they were very well-behaved. If you want to try and avoid being seated with children, bring in your own large group so you take the full table, or make your reservation a little later. If you go for sushi, you have your own table in a different room.

I've been to many Hibachi offerings, and Sawa is every bit as good as the "famous" ones in our area, like Ichiban, but without the drive and parking issues. It is really nice to have this option close to home! (They also serve lunch and have reasonable lunch combos and Bento Boxes. I've eaten lunch there and was very satisfied.)

• Visited November 2011