“Paradise!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Embudu
colombo
“Paradise!!”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Myself and my husband visited Embudu Village for 3 days to celebrate our 4 year wedding anniversay. It was an amazing experience sleeping and living in the middle of the most beautiful turquiose blue green sea in their sea villas. They have they own deck/sun lounge and is a great place to sit and a share a bottle of wine. The room has a 6x4 ft glass panel on the floor which you can see the sea from. Most often you get fish, the hue of the rainbow, passing by!!
The management at the Embudu Village are the nicest people i've come across, contrary to some reviews that i read. The General Manager Mr.Ramsey is one of the most hospitable, friendly, thoughtful and likeable persons who makes you feel like you are at home.. :)
The food and the beatiful wooden floored bar, and the sun deck spread out with wooden tables where you can watch the sun set and sun down are really beautifully done..
It is such a cosy heavenly little island with little grroves and crannies to explore. The beach is soft and white and unreal! Just as soon as you get into the sea you can see an amazing array of colourful fish gliding you by.. Even as you come out of the water bungalow and walk on the jetty you see a rainbow of colourful fish splattered everywhere!!
They have their own snorkelling and diving gear rent out. If you like snorkelling, this is the place to be!!

Room Tip: Since this is an island, all the sea bungalows have an amzing view!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shermi j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hampshire, England
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We went to Embudu Village for three days whilst on holiday in Sri Lanka for a fortnight. The island itself is beautiful and you can walk around it in 10-15 minutes; our son wake boarded around it and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I stepped outside my comfort zone and went snorkelling and was so pleased that I did this as the variety of fish was incredible and I got to see a stingray; my husband and sons managed to see a turtle feeding on the ocean floor. The temperature of the water was fabulous throughout the day and the coral reef stunning. The rooms are adequate given the resort is only three star but the showers were excellent. The buffet was impressive daily and the staff friendly and always wanting to please. Drinks can be a bit expensive and there was some sort of entertainment most nights. My son and I did get bitten so I would advise spraying yourself with deet. The journey to and from the resort is by speedboat and the scenery secondary to none. They do add 10% service charge to your bill but as our waiter in the restaurant was so lovely we gave him £5 before we left. We were thrilled that we were able to visit this island and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline W
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Embudu like every Maledive island is a paradise of its own. Beautiful white beaches, turquoise water and a wonderful house-reef, with millions of colorful fish, turtles and an incredible coral garden. The rooms and the food are ok and the bar offers a wonderful sunset view. The only real letdown of this island was the staff, or most probaly the managment which resulted in the fact that I have never been to a hotel run by such frustrated and unfriendly people (with some exceptions at the bar). This does not include the diving base, which is operated independantly and is crowded with delightful and helpful people.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Exploring-Lisa
essex
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Myself and my husband went to Embudu Village in April to celebrate our honeymoon!!!We couldn't fault the island its an amazing place to stay!!We aren't really into snorkeling but I found we didn't need to be as in the little alcove where we sunbathed everyday we would see various types of marine life!!Seeing sting rays swim by was amazing!!The waiters and barman are so friendly and straight away they remember what your favourite drink is and would say "do you want the usual"!!You are allocated to sit with another couple everyday which we were a bit worried about at first, however there was no need as Pete and Claire were a lovely couple!We thoroughly enjoyed talking to them every evening!!How are you're cats and hedgehog?
We came to Embudu to relax and we did just that!! I recommend going on the Male boat trip as it was interesting to visit the capital of the Maldives and we saw dolphins on the boat ride home which was one of our highlights of the hoilday!! Tip- check your suitcase for house geko lizards before you come home as we came back with a live one in our case!!
Would definitely return in years to come!!!!Embudu Village really is pure paradise!!!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lisamel04
Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The Embudu Village resort is a conveniently located resort within 35 minutes by boat from the male airport. It is one of the few 3 star resorts left in the Maldives.
However, given the quality of the food, the presence of a beautiful house reef at short distance from the shoreline makes this place worth every penny.
The facilities are not very new, but very decent. We stayed in one of the 16 watervilla's, which is very recommendable. It gives a little bit more privacy on your private terrace overlooking the ocean with the reef right in front of you. Snorkeling and diving is perfect from the shore, but it takes only short boat rides to get to ever more diving/snorkeling spots.
We stayed with our family for 5 days and enjoyed every minute. The diving/snorkeling was great (diverland dive school is a great place to learn to dive or to guide and equip more experienced divers).
The food quality is great : a wide selection at the three buffet meals a day. Excellent cooks. Often some BBQ food as extra choice.
The bar area is very nice with a terrace overlooking the ocean, but also secluded seats in an open, but covered area. The prices of the drinks are reasonable ($6 for a corona beer and $8 for a cocktail) and we enjoyed our daily drinks before dinner.
Do not expect a fancy 5 star resort with all the amenities, restaurants and services. But what you do get is really of a very decent standard, and to be quite honest : for us the most important was the quality of the diving/snorkling sites around the island. We saw sharks, turtles, napolean fish, murenes, several types of ray and so many other colorful fish. The coral reef is breath taking. We have dived/snorkeled at other place (borneo, caribean, red sea, flores/komodo) but this ranks on top when it comes to the variety of sealife and the quality fo the coral reef.
Worthwhile if you do not want to spend the money at the 5 star resorts but still want an excellent under water experience with good quality food and accomodations.

if you are choosing between different resorts in the maldives and you like the under water world, check out whether there is a decent housereef that can be reached without taking a boat. This makes all the difference !

Room Tip: Upgrade to the watervilla's if you have the opportunity. It will give you more privacy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jooph
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My perspective is only that as a guest that has done three recent day trips to Embudu Village from HuleMale where I've stayed at the airport hotel. Overall, I have really enjoyed the day trip excursions to Embudu Village.

Unfortunately, I've never stayed overnight and I've only grabbed some light food from the lunch time buffet that is set up for guests, but I have done a fair amount of snorkeling and beach lounging on the island and to that end I'm very satisfied.

The ease of access to the reef is very cool. Just a few handful of meters and you're in the action cruising around the edge of the reef (think the really deep looking water of Finding Nemo) or water that is very shallow but still rich in aquatic activity. When the tide is out the other small beaches that crop up (especially near the main boat dock) can make for a nice slightly more secluded "getaway" beach especially for couples.

The staff on the island have always treated those in our group with the utmost of care and warmth. The fact we were merely day-trippers in no way took away from the hospitality or service. In fact on my second (of three) trips over to Embudu the head waiter/host of the lunch buffet recognized me, shook my hand, and effusively welcomed me back. He looked after every aspect of our group's lunch. In a sea of ever changing faces I find such attention impressive.

While this island appeals clearly lies in its low-key and unstructured vibe, I'd give it high marks all the same. The only other Maldives resort I've been to (also for the day) is the Club Med Kani. Club Med's have a different feel and regimen so it's something of false comparison really.

With close access to the airport and hence no pricey sea plane ride required the appeal of Embudu Village is obvious. I've really enjoyed the snorkeling, the relaxing on the always morphing beaches, and even going down to the main dock to cool off with some dives and cannonballs into the deeper but always alluring water.

For visitors in the hunt for a laid back resort that seems like a very quiet, low key, and not a showy place to get some R&R, I'd recommend this resort based on the aspects of island life I've witnessed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank RegionalRoadie
Ridderkerk, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We are going to this hotel for te 5th time. We like it very much. The reef is exelent. And the meals are very good. You can walk arount in 20 minutes. And when you arrive you get a warm welkom.
The staff is very kindly. when you go snorkling around the island you see many fishes.
The rooms are nice and clean. Our children likes it on embudu to. They love to snorkling all day.
We travelt in : 1994, 1997, 2008 and 2010. And we are going again in december 2013

Room Tip: al rooms are nice and clean. the rooms along teh beach are the best.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jolanda K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Embudu
Adaaran Club Rannalhi
Adaaran Club Rannalhi
#1 of 1 in Rannalhi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Lankanfinolhu Island
Biyadhoo Island Resort
Biyadhoo Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Biyaadhoo Island

Been to Embudu Village? Share your experiences!