“More than happy with our stay”
Review of Embudu Village

Embudu Village
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Embudu
Montreal, Canada
“More than happy with our stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our decision to head to the Maldives was a last minute thing, something we had on the 'back burner' while we were traveling in Sri Lanka and noticed flights were quite cheap from there. As independent travelers, it was out first resort experience, it felt weird to us be it was very comfortable.

We chose this place mainly because it was recommended by divers, and has been so for years, apparently. And of course, the price was interesting, this being a 3-star place and not too far from the airport, we wouldn't have to break the bank that much and wouldn't need to buy an extra domestic flight or crazy expensive boat ride, since we were only staying for 3 nights at the end of our trip (to Sri Lanka) before flying home.

We'd read reviews, the good and the bad ones, and were pleasantly surprised by everything. My girlfriend is a strict vegetarian and she found plenty to eat at every meal. As far as buffet goes, they try to please everybody. It's ok, we get it, the majority of guests (Europeans, mostly Germans) got straight here from home and might freak out. We would have liked spicier and more local style but there really isn't anything to complain about by what we had.

We didn't go for the 'all included' thing, didn't seem worth it since I wasn't planning on getting wasted every day. I only had one drink per meal and that cost me about 4-5$ a piece for a glass of wine or beer, so quite a fair price.

The house reef is indeed quite nice, and the dive shop staff very professional.

We booked a Superior Room directly with them. Ours was near the sandbank, quite far from the restaurant and generator (still about a minute walk away, it's a small island), so it was nice and quiet. Aircon worked well, the room was nice and clean, hot shower, everything. It felt there must have been renovations recent years. Our main concern with the room though, was that the wall separating us from next door wasn't really soundproof. Surprisingly so. We could hear a whole lot. It's also true they don't provide beach towels, so bring a sarong or something.

Our other negative thing was mostly communication problems. Trying to book the room, it was very hard to get to anyone. They had two email addresses on their website, one didn't work, the other, well we didn't get any answer. I think I tried again but nothing. Then eventually I made a Skype call from a crappy internet connection in Sri Lanka, got to talk to someone who mumbled English at best, but at least could put me through to the right person, but then I got disconnected. So I tried again a few hours later, this time I managed to talk to someone in charge of reservations, he said he never got my emails, but just to send it again right now. I did and he did respond and they had availabilities. At that time of year there was an additional 10-15% discount he gave us (it was also mentioned on their website). Splendid! We then booked our flight and sent him the details of our arrival for the boat transfer. When we arrived to the island, our bill didn't have the discount on it, so we had to explain and then wait for someone to approve of it, even though it was written on their own website, that employee didn't seem to have heard of it. Weird.

I might add that if, like us, you're traveling in a neighbouring country and thinking of going, and you're flexible, you can always check again later. Because on my first try to make a reservation, they were full. But then just a few days before the end of our trip, I checked again for kicks and sure enough we got a room. The manager of the dive shop told me it's quite common, since big European agencies book a whole lot of rooms months ahead, but then cancel some of them if they don't fill up enough tourist on their trips.

We wouldn't mind staying there again if we ever go back to the Maldives. This is a very comfortable place and fairly priced, and some good diving too. As long as you're not expecting paradise and 5-star everything, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sireviltom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Myself, The Mrs and our 6yr old girl had a fantastic two weeks on Embudu.
We stayed between the 14th and 28th of April 2014.

We arrived at Gatwick for our departure with Thomson's....one of the last to Embudu with Thomson, I believe....only to be in the baggage drop que with the new girl behind the counter on her first day..."Clueless"...but after a while we were off through security etc and then on-board the Boeing Dreamliner for our journey to Male.
The plane journey was nice on the Dreamliner and the journey went by swiftly.

We arrived at Male and was through customs etc in a fairly short period of time and then a short wait for Embudu's boat to arrive to collect us and we were on our way once again.

We arrived at Embudu and were through all the formality's fairly swiftly and off to our room.
I have made a video of our time on Embudu which I think can better show you Embudu than my words can describe, so here's a link (I hope it's o.k with the mods, if not just drop me a line.)....- http://vimeo.com/96822563

As you can see we had a great time, Embudu does have it's faults however, such as....receding shorelines in some areas which are being protected by sandbanks, walls etc but there are also some lovely little spots where you will be all alone on your own little beach.

We found all the staff very friendly and soon were on first name terms, I also spent a morning working alongside the resort chef's in the kitchen and must say they are a ..."Top Bunch of Guy's...I'm a chef here in the U.K so it was a bus-man's holiday of sorts (Mrs thought I was mad)...lol....it was the hottest kitchen I have ever worked in...so, much respect to these guy's, as most of them work 7 days a week in that heat.
On that note....The Food...I'm fairly fussy in what I eat and tbh I found that 90% of the time the food at Embudu was pretty good....no a'la carte etc, but for buffet style it was fairly good and along the lines of what I would be expecting at a 3 star resort....once or twice for me at least, the choice was limited, these were on the fish nights etc, I don't really like fish....but there was always something....even if it was Dhal & Rice, which was amazing by the way...yet such a simple dish.
So enough ramblings from me....watch the video and you will get the picture of what Embudu is all about...."R&R"....I hope you like it, and my video too....lol.

Best Wishes

Marcus.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Marcus K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

All in all this place is great however, it could get a little boring after a week.
The island is nice, tranquil and pretty, however the rooms are average and the food is not brilliant.
It's lovely to get the Indian Ocean sunshine but when the rain showers come there's not a great deal to do.
Sometimes you can hear aeroplanes as well.
However let me say now, the snorkelling are diving is MAGNIFICENT!! I can't put into words how truly amazing it is!!
Put aside the rather bland food and rooms and enjoy this island for what it is!! 'The Maldives experience you were expecting!'

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Always_1A
Scotland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The Embudu village is a magnificent island, if you like a calm and relaxing atmosphere.
The staff were very pleasant and courteous; they couldn’t do enough for us.
You can walk around the whole island in approximately 20 minutes, you’ll never need to wear shoes all the time you are there, even the reception area is like a sandy beach.
We stayed up at the area known as the sandbank, great place to stay, brilliant views.
The food selection was adequate, most nights you had a selection of fish, chicken and pork, they also had special nights like, Italian and BBQ nights.
There is only 1 bar and 1 restaurant which initially seem strange for an all-inclusive holiday but you soon adapt, easily.
A couple of pointers for you: - You cannot take duty free alcohol into the Maldives and Diet Coke is not part of the All-inclusive deal

Room Tip: Try and get up at the sandbank area, it’s beautiful
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MickyPaperBoy
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Embudu is the best in simple words. If what you have in mind is a real resort experience, do not hesitate to book Embudu. Plus Points- Cosy rooms, Closed bathroom unlike some open bathroom concepts(always check your bathroom concept prior to booking and don't complain later), Beach Villas spread around the long island, a lovely all sandy beach towards the sunrise and sunset side of the resort. This beach extends as much enough space for sunbathing. The snorkeling around the island is amazing. You could see lovely and colorful fish around the reef. Lots of parrot fish, octopus, blue surgeon fish, etc. The General Manager Mr. Ramsay is the most humble gentleman I have ever met and most of the Repeat guests have mentioned this to us. The Food and Beverage Manager Mr. Niranjan, The Reservations Manager Mr. Rasheed, the waiters at the Main Restaurant, the chefs are all the most polite staff you could ever meet.
This resort is best for its diving and you could see loads of Japanese and German divers. Mainly Germans. We saw some table decorated at dinner which was also a special touch. I forgot to mention the fact that the Boat crew was also polite and do the job extremely well. I was also amazed to see Ashok the Bell Boy handling a departure in a most well planned manner. The food is great. The salad and desert corner are impressive. Amazing breakfast. Its all about service and hospitality that comes from the heart. Kudos Team Embudu.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Holidaybabelanka
Sheffield
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We travelled to Embudu village for the second time on May 1st for two weeks. The last time we were there was two years ago and we loved it so returned. So happy we did.
This place is still the Maldives as it should be, no news no shoes with happy smiling staff not hanging around for a tip for everything.
The reef is in very good health as can be seen by the amount of sharks present, last time I only saw one shark in two weeks but this year every time I went in the water there were sharks, not as many rays as last time but the snorkeling is some of the best I have done in 7 trips to the Maldives.
We were a group of 5 and they even managed to put us all in rooms next to each other 75,76 and 77. A lovely view and Ali looked after our room very well and always had a happy smile and a chat.
There are some great sun loungers this time which were situated outside each room, sunbed etiquette seems to be lost on some of the Russian guests though as they got up one morning and took over the sun beds outside our room, we simply walked down to there room, lifted their beds and sat them down next to ours, the look on their faces would have soured cream, lol. However problem sorted.
I had a slight problem after the flight in that my ankle swelled and turned sort of zombie flesh looking. after five days limping about I was advised by another guest "Bert" from Holland ( a regular who with his wife have spent around 3 years at Embudu) to visit the hospital on Male, so off we sped on the Noor 20 speed boat,
Male is mad, think Rome, Paris Dheli all rolled into one and times the road chaos by about 20 to get an idea of the traffic.
Had tests done no DVT so back to Embudu where Sunil from the Bar offered to get me some balm to massage into it at night. I did this and the following morning I could actually walk again, brilliant. Sunil and the rest of the bar staff are totally great and always smiling despite working long hours in the extreme heat.
The food is as before, breakfast, dinner and evening meal with tea and coffee in the afternoon with sarni's. then of to the bar at 5 for gin oclock and watch the sunset which is usually stunning.
Abdulla looked after us again in the restaurant and was always singing and smiling and making us different animals from paper and card, his origami skills are amazing.
We always travel to the Maldives in monsoon season and take our chances with the weather, the first couple of days it was sunny in the morning followed by downpours then sunny again followed by 2 - 3 days wash out followed by wall to wall sunshine the rest of the time. fantastic.
Walking around the island after breakfast I was amazed to see "Hugo" a big titan trigger fish come right in to the jetty by the water bungalows and chase the shoals of small fish about.
It is worth noting the current can be quite strong in areas certainly by the water bungalows so if you are not a strong swimmer try going up by the coral gardens, stunning array of coral and fish and I saw 2 black tip reef sharks on 1 trip out there.
The rooms we stayed in were large with high ceilings fan and air con, which actually worked the whole time. fridge to keep soft drinks in and a lovely enclosed large bathroom with shower. No TV or radio but that was just fine with me.
Worth mentioning that beach towels are not included so take your own and plenty of high factor cream.
We had a fruit basket and small bottle of wine delivered to our room on the first night whilst we had our meal which I thought was a nice touch too. I think they do this for repeat visitors.
All in all despite the gammy foot and trip to hospital we had a fantastic time and I would highly recommend Embudu for a no news no shoes no frills total chill out place to visit. The island is very pretty with the soft sand great reef and amazing friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank RevBagsta
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I am an Embudu devotee!
My next visit there - 11 days in June/14.
I have been to the Maldives more than a dozen times year round- no mean feat from Canada. I have stayed at about 10 resorts from 3-5 stars combing 2-3 resorts each trip. My all time favorite is Embudu and it is the best value for money resort I have come across in the Maldives. I come to the Maldives to snorkel. I pick resorts for the snorkeling reviews of reef quality. Embudu is one of the best! Clear waters, great visibility, manageable currents, an extremely extensive reef easily accessible and swimmable right off the beaches with extensive wonderful flourishing colourful hard and soft corals. There are absolutely enormous schools of colourful tropical fish with great variety. I personally have seen and identified almost 300 species. Occasionally a big critter torpedos by. The accommodation is simple and comfortable, renovated 2 years ago with new baths and furnishings. The rooms are spacious, high-ceilinged with good AC and Fans. They are in pleasant looking blocks of 3 or 4. I have never noticed noise from adjoining rooms occasionally tobacco smoke. Beds as in most hotels of the East no matter how many stars are way too hard for me. I travel with a lightweight inflatable air mattress. The island is very nicely treed with it's resident herons and coots running around. The beaches change every year with time, tides and storms. There is still plenty of lovely white sand to lie and sun and play on. And enough shade too. I find he combination of Maldivian, Sri Lankan, South Indian and Continental German food absolutely delicious with a great variety of dishes including fresh and composed salads, desserts and fresh baked breads presented at the buffets with special theme days and specialties. Water, soft drinks, beer and alcohol are paid separately. You will meet all kinds of wonderful tasty and new for me, a seasoned world traveler, Indian vegetables. The chefs are totally approachable and will be happy to make most dishes for you. All the staff has been very friendly and kind. Maldivian SIM cards are cheap and phones work on all the islands (purchase at the DHIRAGU office at the Hulhumale airport while awaiting your transfer). Male is an interesting city. I like the Male "suburb" island of Hulhumale on which the airport is located to see thriving Maldivian life, stay in a fancy guest house and swim. It is being built a meter higher than Male to provide some protection from the rising ocean level which will drown this low-lying country in the forseable future.
The excursions are interesting, reasonably priced and close-by to Male, a neighbouring Village island and another resort.
An additional benefit is that the Embudu fast boat transfers are 70USD round trip and one can arrive up to 10:30PM (to meet the last Singapore Airlines flight). Most resorts require very expensive Twin Otter transfers which can only fly daylight hours and involve bouncing around on a raft type dock in the sea awaiting the resort's transfer boat!
The dive program at Embudu is very well regarded; great sites are close by.
I can't say enough good things about this resort.
The Serena Spa is pleasant with the Indonesian ladies providing nice massage.
If you are lucky you'll have wee geckoes in your room.

Room Tip: I've stayed in all room types there. Great to watch the passing baby white-tips and parrots and...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Kendd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Embudu
Adaaran Club Rannalhi
Fihalhohi Island Resort
Fihalhohi Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Fihalhohi Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,176 reviews

Been to Embudu Village? Share your experiences!