“Half Day Out of the Airport”
Review of Embudu Village

Embudu Village
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Embudu
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We wanted to spend half a day out so decided to go to Embudu Village. The beaches were very nice and we saw some sharks and reef fish while snorkelling. The coral however was brown & not very attractive. We were treated like second class citizens for lunch and told to wait half an hour after it started until residential guests had eaten then given a table right beside the kitchen. The resort seemed a bit rundown too. It's close to the airport and convenient but on the whole there's definitely better. Give it a miss. Unless you're from Germany. Everyone there seemed to be German.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bradley D

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We booked with Travelbag, which was excellent value for 'all inclusive'. Our room (32) was in a perfect location, directly onto the beach, which was a large sandbank. The room was a decent size and the bathroom large and modern, with spacious shower. The room service was superb, with rooms done twice a day.

The island is small and you can snorkel around the whole island if you're a confident swimmer.
In a week, we had a couple of rainy periods but it soon cleared up. The reef was amazing and one of the best for coral and numerous fish, out of the other islands we have visited. We saw a turtles, moray eels, reef sharks, (about a metre long), lion fish along with the usual wonderful fish of the Maldives.

The food was excellent with plenty of choice for all tastes and our waiter Mohammed was superb, although some of the others were less efficient.The bar staff were friendly and the cocktail of the day was usually good.

Slight downsides: Only one towel each and a small bar of soap, so take shampoo, etc.
It was 95% Germans and they were all fine, especially on the football final, (which provided a great atmosphere) but it's nice to chat to others in the bar. Luckily we met a lovely UK couple and spent a lot of time chatting to them.
At this time of year there are no snorkelling trips but it was possible to join a dive trip.

We'd definitely visit again and the short (30 minute) boat ride was a bonus.

Room Tip: Room 32 was great. Virtually on the beach and quiet. Good AC and modern spacious bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MonandTone
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The beaches on the island are amazing and the reef is one of the best I have seen. The food is very good for a 3* resort and better than some 5* resorts. I prefer the beaches and snorkelling on Embudu village over places such as Thailand, however there is not a great deal of day trips so if you like to keep busy...
Visit the dive centre as they have daily snorkelling trips which are really good for seeing coral, turtles, and sharks. We upgraded to a water bungalow for the last few days and I found them very comfortable.
We managed fine with our daughter who is 1 years old. The staff are very good with children and all the guests were very friendly.

Room Tip: You can email the hotel and request a beach bunglow room close to the beach . If I return I would st...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank louise s
Reviewed 15 July 2014

From the very beginning until we got on the boat for the return trip all Embudu personnel were absolutely friendly and helpful.

The villa on the island was spacious, clean (really clean - they cleaned 2 times per day), cozy and simply had everything one may need.

The food selection was astonishing, tasty, various and we terribly miss it now. :(

We stayed in the beginning of July, only 1 day of rain, and 9 days with smiles and sunshine.

We would definetely return for another vacation @ Embodu - hopefully very soon!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank walker_away
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Our decision to head to the Maldives was a last minute thing, something we had on the 'back burner' while we were traveling in Sri Lanka and noticed flights were quite cheap from there. As independent travelers, it was out first resort experience, it felt weird to us be it was very comfortable.

We chose this place mainly because it was recommended by divers, and has been so for years, apparently. And of course, the price was interesting, this being a 3-star place and not too far from the airport, we wouldn't have to break the bank that much and wouldn't need to buy an extra domestic flight or crazy expensive boat ride, since we were only staying for 3 nights at the end of our trip (to Sri Lanka) before flying home.

We'd read reviews, the good and the bad ones, and were pleasantly surprised by everything. My girlfriend is a strict vegetarian and she found plenty to eat at every meal. As far as buffet goes, they try to please everybody. It's ok, we get it, the majority of guests (Europeans, mostly Germans) got straight here from home and might freak out. We would have liked spicier and more local style but there really isn't anything to complain about by what we had.

We didn't go for the 'all included' thing, didn't seem worth it since I wasn't planning on getting wasted every day. I only had one drink per meal and that cost me about 4-5$ a piece for a glass of wine or beer, so quite a fair price.

The house reef is indeed quite nice, and the dive shop staff very professional.

We booked a Superior Room directly with them. Ours was near the sandbank, quite far from the restaurant and generator (still about a minute walk away, it's a small island), so it was nice and quiet. Aircon worked well, the room was nice and clean, hot shower, everything. It felt there must have been renovations recent years. Our main concern with the room though, was that the wall separating us from next door wasn't really soundproof. Surprisingly so. We could hear a whole lot. It's also true they don't provide beach towels, so bring a sarong or something.

Our other negative thing was mostly communication problems. Trying to book the room, it was very hard to get to anyone. They had two email addresses on their website, one didn't work, the other, well we didn't get any answer. I think I tried again but nothing. Then eventually I made a Skype call from a crappy internet connection in Sri Lanka, got to talk to someone who mumbled English at best, but at least could put me through to the right person, but then I got disconnected. So I tried again a few hours later, this time I managed to talk to someone in charge of reservations, he said he never got my emails, but just to send it again right now. I did and he did respond and they had availabilities. At that time of year there was an additional 10-15% discount he gave us (it was also mentioned on their website). Splendid! We then booked our flight and sent him the details of our arrival for the boat transfer. When we arrived to the island, our bill didn't have the discount on it, so we had to explain and then wait for someone to approve of it, even though it was written on their own website, that employee didn't seem to have heard of it. Weird.

I might add that if, like us, you're traveling in a neighbouring country and thinking of going, and you're flexible, you can always check again later. Because on my first try to make a reservation, they were full. But then just a few days before the end of our trip, I checked again for kicks and sure enough we got a room. The manager of the dive shop told me it's quite common, since big European agencies book a whole lot of rooms months ahead, but then cancel some of them if they don't fill up enough tourist on their trips.

We wouldn't mind staying there again if we ever go back to the Maldives. This is a very comfortable place and fairly priced, and some good diving too. As long as you're not expecting paradise and 5-star everything, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sireviltom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Myself, The Mrs and our 6yr old girl had a fantastic two weeks on Embudu.
We stayed between the 14th and 28th of April 2014.

We arrived at Gatwick for our departure with Thomson's....one of the last to Embudu with Thomson, I believe....only to be in the baggage drop que with the new girl behind the counter on her first day..."Clueless"...but after a while we were off through security etc and then on-board the Boeing Dreamliner for our journey to Male.
The plane journey was nice on the Dreamliner and the journey went by swiftly.

We arrived at Male and was through customs etc in a fairly short period of time and then a short wait for Embudu's boat to arrive to collect us and we were on our way once again.

We arrived at Embudu and were through all the formality's fairly swiftly and off to our room.
I have made a video of our time on Embudu which I think can better show you Embudu than my words can describe, so here's a link (I hope it's o.k with the mods, if not just drop me a line.)....- http://vimeo.com/96822563

As you can see we had a great time, Embudu does have it's faults however, such as....receding shorelines in some areas which are being protected by sandbanks, walls etc but there are also some lovely little spots where you will be all alone on your own little beach.

We found all the staff very friendly and soon were on first name terms, I also spent a morning working alongside the resort chef's in the kitchen and must say they are a ..."Top Bunch of Guy's...I'm a chef here in the U.K so it was a bus-man's holiday of sorts (Mrs thought I was mad)...lol....it was the hottest kitchen I have ever worked in...so, much respect to these guy's, as most of them work 7 days a week in that heat.
On that note....The Food...I'm fairly fussy in what I eat and tbh I found that 90% of the time the food at Embudu was pretty good....no a'la carte etc, but for buffet style it was fairly good and along the lines of what I would be expecting at a 3 star resort....once or twice for me at least, the choice was limited, these were on the fish nights etc, I don't really like fish....but there was always something....even if it was Dhal & Rice, which was amazing by the way...yet such a simple dish.
So enough ramblings from me....watch the video and you will get the picture of what Embudu is all about...."R&R"....I hope you like it, and my video too....lol.

Best Wishes

Marcus.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Marcus K
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

All in all this place is great however, it could get a little boring after a week.
The island is nice, tranquil and pretty, however the rooms are average and the food is not brilliant.
It's lovely to get the Indian Ocean sunshine but when the rain showers come there's not a great deal to do.
Sometimes you can hear aeroplanes as well.
However let me say now, the snorkelling are diving is MAGNIFICENT!! I can't put into words how truly amazing it is!!
Put aside the rather bland food and rooms and enjoy this island for what it is!! 'The Maldives experience you were expecting!'

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Always_1A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Embudu
Adaaran Prestige Vadoo
Adaaran Prestige Vadoo
#1 of 1 in Vaadhoo Island
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island
Bandos Maldives
Bandos Maldives
#1 of 2 in Bandos

Been to Embudu Village? Share your experiences!