“Fun and informative tour!”

Bluffscape Amish Tours
Ranked #4 of 11 things to do in Lanesboro
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This has to be one of the fun and informative tours I have ever been to.My husband and I were planning to take the guided cd tour but then we were worried we could get lost in the Amish county as there was some road construction going on. The tour started right on time and the tour guide had a good knowledge about Amish culture,history and traditions. She was very cheerful and answered all our questions yet was watching the road and driving carefully. We went to a old church, few furniture stores, candle store, bakery,basket shop and a farm(I don't recall the name but it was all purple) where they sell wool and they allow you to see the tiny little goats there. I throughly enjoyed this tour and did buy some pot holders, candles, baked goods and a basket from the Amish stores.

5  Thank ChyG

Reviewed 13 October 2013

The Bluffscape Amish Tour was one of our most informative and enjoyable tours ever….and we have toured the world during our 70+ years on earth. Rory Craeger was our guide and exhibited and very deep knowledge of the Amish, their history and traditions. He was also VERY networked with the many Amish families, farms and shops that we visited. Rory knew the Amish by their first names and knew much about the families and family histories. He described the traditions and ceremonies surrounding birth, schooling, work ethic, marriage, and death.

We started the tour with a warm welcome by Fanny Miller, mother of 11 children. Husband Moses has suffered from Parkinson’s disease for many years. We visited the Herschberger Baskets and Small Furniture shop owned and operated by Tobie and Cevilla Hershberger. Their baskets are examples of perfection in basket weaving. Eli was our host at The Cabinet Shop which specialized in tables. I am a woodworker and couldn’t believe the quality of the tables and their ultra-beautiful finishes; and their prices were so, so reasonable for this quality. We then visited Countryside Furniture owned and operated by Dennis and Mary Hershberger. They had a very wide selection of furniture but seemed to focus on bedroom pieces. We visited a bakery and took home a tasty pecan pie.

The tour lasted 3 hours and 15 minutes but Rory was so informative and always adding commentary that it didn’t seem that long. In fact, we would have opted for another hour or two. We highly recommend the Bluffscape Amish Tour.

7  Thank KazzyKano
Reviewed 12 October 2013

My friend and I decided to try out the Amish tour to better educate ourselves and also just out of curiosity. Our tour guide was very personable, knowledgable and overall maintained a cheerful attitude with each of us tourists in his van. We were able to tour an amish furniture store, a basket shop owned by a very animated Amish man and his wife (who was not there on this day) and also visited a quilt store. I think being able to visit their farms was very eye opening and I was able to better understand their way of life....Very insightful trip!!!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We loved our guide(I am sorry I don't recall his name)
he took us to the old church which is a must see!!!! LOVED IT nice stop which I never heard about with the other group. THANK YOU.
He welcomed us to walk around the farms a bit and that was also very nice to have time to do!!!! EXCELLENT TRIP!!! THANK YOU SIR!!!!

Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

My best friend and I took this tour while in Lanesboro. We considered purchasing a self guided CD tour for $28 to save money but were pleased with the Bluffscape tour and didn't regret the $30 per person cost.

We chose the "live" tour in part because there are numerous road closures in the area due to construction and we thought the CD tour might guide us toward closed roads.

I think the nicest thing about this tour was our guide, Joan's, knowledge about each person on the farms we visited. She knows the proprietors and everyone in their families by name. It was clear that she has taken the time to get to know the families personally. It would be easy to lead the tour in a manner that made it feel like visiting a zoo where you are educated about the "creatures" you are there to observe. Joan taught us about their culture and way of life but included information about each family we visited that reminded us that we were visiting real people, not exhibits.

I learned a lot and developed an appreciation for the Amish on this tour.

Remember to bring cash. Credit cards are not accepted at the shops.

1  Thank Shoreview