“We keep coming back!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lanesboro
Historic Scanlan House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #7 of 17 Lanesboro B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Absolutely gorgeous gardens, not just at Scanlan House, but throughout so much of the town of Lanesboro. The bicycle rentals are so easy with their connection to Little River General Store. Love the location being just a couple blocks up from the main part of town, so it's not on too busy of a street. We love the new guest pantry area that was put in, where we can serve ourselves anytime with hot chocolate, tea, coffee, sodas, popcorn or other snacks. The breakfast is amazing every time! We stayed in the Safari Suite this time and couldn't have been happier with our splurge. Our own private sitting area, private porch and entry, and parking space. We just love coming back, and Scanlan House keeps getting better and better!

Room Tip: Largest rooms are the suites. They have a separate bathroom with shower and a wonderful good sized...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 May 2011

My wife and I have stayed here at least 3 times and it would be our first choice in
Lanesboro if we go back there again. Victorian decorating is over the top and the antiques in this place alone are something to see. The three course breakfast did not
permit us to eat lunch. Sure breakfast is at 9 so I got up and biked 20-30 miles before breakfast. I love this placeA!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Thanks for reading! My new husband and I made reservations for a weekend at the Scanlan B&B to celebrate our 6 month anniversary, and I excitedly planned for a special package of offerings to make it romantic and fun. There were a number of little things that added up to a less-than-relaxing experience. Everything runs very late at this house, so we ended up missing two of our planned activities (that they specifically offer) because coffee and breakfast were served an hour late on both days. They “graciously” offered to not charge us for those activities. We had empty soap bottles in our bathroom, though they were set up to look new, which was a really pleasant discovery mid-bath. When we tried to find someone to get us some soap there was no one to be found for help either by phone or by searching them out. It feels like you are pretty much abandoned after breakfast; we felt that the service was in no way extraordinary. Also, though we were staying a weekend where only a couple of rooms were occupied, our room was not ready for us when we arrived and was missing items (soap, a plate of cookies, etc) that were in other rooms that remained empty. They did have some neat points, such as the butler's quarters with little snacks and the breakfasts were good. However, it was just a really disappointing experience, especially for such an important event to us and at the price they charge. We won't go back, and we'll try out other B&Bs in the area.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cartwheel2
Reviewed 27 October 2009

We had made reservations to stay at the Scanlan House as a family get together/celebration of my mother's 75th birthday. On the day we were due to arrive, my father became critically ill. I called to cancel the reservation and was told that they would have to bill me for the rooms we had reserved, but that they would discount the bill by the breakfasts we had not consumed. The owner, with whom I was speaking, knew that I was calling from outside the room where my father was dying, but remained adamant about charging me for the stay. As a result of this business practice, I would not recommend anyone patronize this B&B.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank Mariposa015
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We just returned from four wonderful days at the Scanlan House. Breakfast was fantastic each day - my only complaint - put less food on the plate - I have no willpower! We stayed in the Safari Suite, a lovely oversized room with a double whirlpool, separate sitting room and personal porch complete with cat. We watched a large hawk in a huge tree just across the street one evening with the crickets and birds singing away. The porch is covered and furnished with comfy wicker - great for a morning breakfast or evening of reading.
The room had an overhead fan so we had the option of cooling via the fan and open windows or the air conditioner. Both choices worked well and the room was cooled or warmed to our desires within 30 minutes.
The 24 hour butler pantry with broad selection of coffee, tea and gourmet cocoa was a delight after being caught in the rain. Microwave popcorn was available to go with the broad selection of DVDs to sign out and view in your room.
Mary cheerfully shared the history of the home or Lanesboro with any who asked.
We will return to Lanesboro and I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2008

After reading a couple of reviews about "stuff" I was a bit hesitant. But when I arrived I could not figure out what they were talking about! The website photos showed exactly what was in the room. I even compared a print out of the picture to the room and main rooms and they were identicle. If you are a minimalist it probably is not for you, but they certainly do not try to hide how they decorate in any way shape or form.

The house was very Victorian yet completely renovated with ALL of the modern amenities. I found that all of the little touches were wonderful. Our group had six rooms. The suites were huge and all had adequate furniture and not to much. Grandma Bells was the smallest yet it was very comfortable. None of them were overdone with decorations. They each only had a mirror or two on walls if even that , half canopied beds and just the furniture which consisted of nightstand(s), bed, dresser, chair or couch. I can't say that I would want a room that had less than that. All of our rooms but one had a two person whirlpool
and many of them had fireplaces. The beds were very comfortable and the house was very quiet. Considering our group... That was a good thing :)

Breakfast was incredible! Five courses and filling. The owners work with any dietary need that you have. We had diabetic and gluten free in our party along with one allergy to eggs. They were incredible about accomodating those needs.

My husband and I are extensive B & B'er and go because we love the old houses and the uniqueness of each one. Antiques or reproductions kind of go hand in hand. I have not been to many that decorate cold and stuffy like a motel room. Thank goodness or that would destroy the whole concept of a Bed and Breakfast! I would like to encourage people to look at pictures and ask questions before they make the trip as every place may not be the place for you. We however love them all!

This Bed and Breakfast would actually rate on our top five list. We even made reservations for our group to come back in August.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Another reviewer mentioned that the Scanlan House is 'overdone' - and I have to agree. (This place would be a feng shui expert's nightmare.) However, decor is a matter of personal taste and some people may love all of that 'stuff'. Personally, I prefer my environment to be much less cluttered. It is hard to describe how much stuff is in that big home, because it is literally everywhere - to the point of being claustophobic - (and one wonders how they can possibly clean around & under all of it?). That being said - the location is great (within walking distance of downtown & within biking distance of the bike trail). Rooms vary in size (& price) - the larger rooms also have a lot of stuff in them but at least you have more room to move around. The owner is wonderful - personable and accommodating. It is obvious that she enjoys & appreciates her clients. And, as other reviewers have mentioned, the breakfasts are very good. If you don't mind a lot (and I do mean 'a lot') of stuff around, then by all means stay here for the service & breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank MarJar26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanesboro
Oakenwald Terrace
#1 of 2 in Peterson
White Valley Motel
White Valley Motel
#1 of 1 in Saint Charles

Been to Historic Scanlan House Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!