“Wonderful Getaway...I didn't want to come home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lanesboro
Historic Scanlan House Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #7 of 17 Lanesboro B&B and Inns
Twin Cities, MN
“Wonderful Getaway...I didn't want to come home”
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We just returned from four wonderful days at the Scanlan House. Breakfast was fantastic each day - my only complaint - put less food on the plate - I have no willpower! We stayed in the Safari Suite, a lovely oversized room with a double whirlpool, separate sitting room and personal porch complete with cat. We watched a large hawk in a huge tree just across the street one evening with the crickets and birds singing away. The porch is covered and furnished with comfy wicker - great for a morning breakfast or evening of reading.
The room had an overhead fan so we had the option of cooling via the fan and open windows or the air conditioner. Both choices worked well and the room was cooled or warmed to our desires within 30 minutes.
The 24 hour butler pantry with broad selection of coffee, tea and gourmet cocoa was a delight after being caught in the rain. Microwave popcorn was available to go with the broad selection of DVDs to sign out and view in your room.
Mary cheerfully shared the history of the home or Lanesboro with any who asked.
We will return to Lanesboro and I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Minnesota
Reviewed 17 December 2008

After reading a couple of reviews about "stuff" I was a bit hesitant. But when I arrived I could not figure out what they were talking about! The website photos showed exactly what was in the room. I even compared a print out of the picture to the room and main rooms and they were identicle. If you are a minimalist it probably is not for you, but they certainly do not try to hide how they decorate in any way shape or form.

The house was very Victorian yet completely renovated with ALL of the modern amenities. I found that all of the little touches were wonderful. Our group had six rooms. The suites were huge and all had adequate furniture and not to much. Grandma Bells was the smallest yet it was very comfortable. None of them were overdone with decorations. They each only had a mirror or two on walls if even that , half canopied beds and just the furniture which consisted of nightstand(s), bed, dresser, chair or couch. I can't say that I would want a room that had less than that. All of our rooms but one had a two person whirlpool
and many of them had fireplaces. The beds were very comfortable and the house was very quiet. Considering our group... That was a good thing :)

Breakfast was incredible! Five courses and filling. The owners work with any dietary need that you have. We had diabetic and gluten free in our party along with one allergy to eggs. They were incredible about accomodating those needs.

My husband and I are extensive B & B'er and go because we love the old houses and the uniqueness of each one. Antiques or reproductions kind of go hand in hand. I have not been to many that decorate cold and stuffy like a motel room. Thank goodness or that would destroy the whole concept of a Bed and Breakfast! I would like to encourage people to look at pictures and ask questions before they make the trip as every place may not be the place for you. We however love them all!

This Bed and Breakfast would actually rate on our top five list. We even made reservations for our group to come back in August.

• Liked — We liked everything! The Butlers Pantry That Was Open 24 Hrs. Was Excellent!
  • Disliked — The fact that we could not stay longer
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
Midwest
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Another reviewer mentioned that the Scanlan House is 'overdone' - and I have to agree. (This place would be a feng shui expert's nightmare.) However, decor is a matter of personal taste and some people may love all of that 'stuff'. Personally, I prefer my environment to be much less cluttered. It is hard to describe how much stuff is in that big home, because it is literally everywhere - to the point of being claustophobic - (and one wonders how they can possibly clean around & under all of it?). That being said - the location is great (within walking distance of downtown & within biking distance of the bike trail). Rooms vary in size (& price) - the larger rooms also have a lot of stuff in them but at least you have more room to move around. The owner is wonderful - personable and accommodating. It is obvious that she enjoys & appreciates her clients. And, as other reviewers have mentioned, the breakfasts are very good. If you don't mind a lot (and I do mean 'a lot') of stuff around, then by all means stay here for the service & breakfast.

• Liked — Owner
  • Disliked — Too much stuff everywhere
  • Stayed October 2008
1 Thank MarJar26
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 9 August 2008

This looked very nice online and many things were done well. The bed was wonderful, whirlpools in every room, near to attractions, great breakfast. But it was so extremely overdecorated (not depicted in the pictures) that the experience was greatly diminished. The downstairs rooms have so many decorations that they are overwhelming. The landings are hard to navigate past the buggies,trunks, books, hats, pictures, candles, etc. It was enough to put the group I was with off from returning there or recommending it. This is unfortunate because it could be charming.

• Liked — great beds, great breakfast
  • Disliked — extremely overdecorated to the point of limiting room space
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank another-MN-traveler
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed 17 September 2007

This B&B is certainly one of a kind. You just feel like family. We stayed in the Sunrise Suite. It is a large room with firelplace and wonderful whirlpool ensuite. It has a large private bath, as well.

The owners have thought of every detail. Nothing has been omitted.

The huge breakfast was unbelievable....the best we have had.

I highly recommend the Scanlan Inn

• Liked — family atmosphere...wonderful room...wonderful food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lula58
Rochester, MN
Reviewed 23 April 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Scanlan House in April of 2007 to celebrate my birthday. The home is exquisite. The caretaker made you feel right at home. The breakfast was the best I have had, and I have stayed at many B&B's. Lanesboro is an incredible town. There is so much to see and do. Plan to spend at least two nights here. Kim

• Liked — I felt like I was a million miles away from home
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007
1 Thank Ewing33
Iowa
Reviewed 18 August 2004

It's been several years since we have stayed their but we have stayed there three times. After seeing their updated website it looks even more fantastic than when we stayed there. The rooms were very nice with great whirlpool tubs that felt great after a long day of biking. Extra perks were the Irish Creme that you could help yourself to. The 5 course breakfasts were awesome. After looking the area over for a friend I want to go back! Don't forget the winery!

• Stayed January 2005
5 Thank bikingranny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lanesboro
Oakenwald Terrace
Oakenwald Terrace
#1 of 1 in Chatfield
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites- Spring Valley
White Valley Motel
White Valley Motel
#1 of 1 in Saint Charles

Been to Historic Scanlan House Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!