“& I thought Haskins was expensive...”
Review of The Garden Cafe

The Garden Cafe
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Had arranged to meet with friends for lunch at 'The Garden Cafe' & was so disappointed. The prices were so expensive for a self-service cafe, it would have been cheaper to eat out at one of the many lovely local pubs. The food was simply awful, tasteless & barely warm. I wondered if it were me being hard to please, but I looked at other customers' finished plates & saw that most were piled high with leftover food... Surely a responsible catering manager would question as to why so much food were being returned un-eaten & then wasted... We Brits are simply far too polite when it comes to complaining :-(

2  Thank Anne C

Reviewed 29 May 2014

A warm and exceptionally friendly welcome.
It was an opportunistic stop for breakfast and we were so impressed by the quality of the food and the staff were so friendly and helpful.
I would particularly like to mention the superb quality sausage sandwich!

4  Thank Philippa Y
Reviewed 13 May 2014

You wouldn't expect to get a great carvery lunch at a garden centre but that's just what you get here. Hot food, well cooked, and at a reasonable price. It can get busy, so get there bang on noon as the seating arrangements aren't brilliant as it is basically a cafe. The garden centre itself has a big car park and it gets full quickly.

1  Thank Shaun_and_Suzi
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I visited as the minibus driver for a group of elderly clients, and so I tested an area of customer service not normally required by visitors. The Garden Cafe was first class throughout. An email the previous day was quickly routed through to Jeremy (the garden centre manager) who called me back to advise me of an appropriate parking space for my vehicle, which he backed up with an admirable level of help and attention for the duration of my visit. A follow-up call to Clare in the cafe lead me to expect a warm and friendly reception. I was not disappointed.

The cafe has free wi-fi accessed by a code printed on the bottom of all till receipts. The range of hot food and sandwiches offered something for most tastes. The prices were very reasonable, the portion sizes were huge and the quality and flavour of the food were first class. I enjoyed a tender breast of Somerset chicken, covered with bacon and mushrooms, accompanied by apple sauce, roast potatoes, boiled potatoes, cauliflower cheese, peas, carrots and gravy, priced at £8.35. There were a variety of seating options, inside the cafe, outside on patio tables with umbrellas, and also half way in between in a section of seating inside the garden centre itself. I was very pleased to see that smoking was only permitted in one area of outdoor seating, enabling those who dislike cigarette smoke to enjoy the fresh air too. Staff, despite being busy, were friendly, efficient and helpful. The toilets were kept clean throughout the day.

Even if you have no real interest in gardening, go for a meal and make sure you look at the Caimans and the huge fish in the aquatic centre.

1  Thank White-Knight-1969
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We go to John Browns Garden café at least twice a week and thoroughly enjoy it every time.
The food is great and always plenty of it on the plate - beautifully cooked and presented by staff
who always have a smile for you. The chef cooks fabulous meals and the roast beef is really scrummy. It's a fab menu with something for everybody and even when it's extremely busy the
service is still first class.
Fabulous!