“Best place to go for a retreat!”
Review of Birdwing Spa

Birdwing Spa
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Litchfield
Birdwing Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Litchfield
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I have read the other reviews, and strongly disagree with ones that are negative!
Birdwing is homey, warm, great food, great selection of things to do, and the staff is superb! I have been there with friends and alone! This is the place I choose when the stress gets to be too much! I always feel like I am coming home!
Great selection of amenities, that one can participate in, or not! Whatever you are in the mood for is what they consider perfect!
I have done all, and always come home renewed! My family loves the results of a trip to Birdwing! My husband is coming with me for the first time this summer, and after hearing so much about it, he can't wait!!!!!!
Oh, I almost forgot! The food is wonderful!!! Healthy, but VERY delicious! Especially the chocolate cake! I could go on, but come and experience for yourself!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 March 2010

First, people need to understand that this is a spa in the middle of nowhere Minnesota. That means northwoods decor, nothing fancy, nothing luxurious, but very comfy and practical. That said, if you want to really get away from it all, eat healthy, get relaxed via a massage and reading by the fire, and energized by stretching classes and snowshoeing, this is the place for you. The pace will slow you down. My friend and I stayed in the barn, which I'd recommend since the rooms are quite spacious. The beds were extremely comfortable and we got some of the best sleep in a while. Bring wine or champagne, plus some chocolate -- the food is really good, and the meals are all very healthy, but it's not a lot of calories. Wine and chocolate is a nice way to end the day. Spa treatments were very nice. Your experience will likely be defined by who is the fitness instructor of the day - they have several on contract. We had James one day and Karen the next -- couldn't have been more different. James' classes were mostly talk, not a lot of action (and kind of odd), while Karen got us moving and motivated and she was super down to earth. Going in winter was nice, but considering how beautiful the property is, I'd suggest a spring/summer visit.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 March 2009

The other reviews are right - this is more like a camp than a spa.

The check-in process was poor, and then we were surprised that there were no snacks or water available. So we made a 7-mile drive to town and stocked up on snacks for the evening. The meals, though, were awesome - impeccably cooked and delicious. We had hoped for private dining, but ate in a communal-style dining room - which wasn't so bad after all.

The slow stretch class was good, but wasn't really what we expected. Same for the other exercise classes. The teacher was nice, but didn't seem to take the class seriously. At the end of the class, we didn't know when the class was done because the teacher had chatted with the other guests and when they kind of let the exercise wane off, we realized the classes were over.

We stayed in the "manor" and all the decor was terribly outdated - 1960s/1970s tiles, walls, accessories, bedding, etc. Although we both are outdoor enthusiasts, we found the conditions to not be so sanitary (they weren't filthy, either - just in between). There indeed are no clocks, which is not a big deal - but I found it ironic they gave us schedules and all, yet had no clocks.

I took my husband here for his birthday and chose spa services in advance. I am almost 9 months pregnant, and at no point did anyone tell me the herbal wrap wasn't safe for me (not even when I asked the manager on the phone two months prior to the visit) until I asked the spa person. She said simply and unfriendly, "It is very hot." Later, my husband got the herbal wrap and had burns all over his body - what if I hadn't asked about the herbal wrap? I shudder to think of how it could have harmed or even killed my unborn baby. I asked to change my option, and was given two alternate choices: a hand massage or a scalp massage - and I don't think either was the equivalent of a herbal wrap. I chose the scalp massage and after a 10-minute massage (instead of 20 minutes or 25 minutes), I was left with oil in my hair I had to wash off myself in my room, after walking upstairs and having people see me with oily hair. The facial was great, though, done by a different person.

Overall, this is a decent budget-wise choice for people who like rustic surroundings. But there is a lot left to be desired. The next spa we go to will be in a modern facility with the little details that count - fresh water, snacks (bananas, nuts, apples, whatever), updated decor and amenities, FRIENDLY people, and CLEAN rooms. Even the in-room trail map was shoddy, so we ended up not hiking because we couldn't find any of the trails. We left without anyone bidding us farewell because nobody was around to see us off.

We did make some new friends with the other three guests, and they were great company. Overall, I don't think this "spa" is worth the money at this point.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank eightcedars
Reviewed 2 August 2008

I found the Birdwing spa searching for a place to get away for a week to eat healthy food and exercise. What I found was a list of Destination Spas, spas that in years past might have been described at 'fat farms' The exercise facility and the staff were great. I was able to take a variety of classes each day, including water aerobics (in a pool) and kayaking (in a lake). There were also trails for hiking/walking.

In addition to exercise classes, each day you're scheduled for a spa treatment. My favorite not included but well worth adding, was the hot stone massage. The spa facilities have all been redone and they're lovely. The staff was really top notch.

Surrounded by lakes and fields this is not the place to go if you want to end your day by a having a drink at a bar, shopping, or going to a movie. Each evening I went to my room and read, a treat for me. I would have enjoyed an evening walk BUT, Minnesota has some serious mosquitos, black flies and ticks. Wood, not deer, but still something you'll need to 'get over'. While the bugs were my least favorite part, they wouldn't keep me from returning.

The food was wonderful. If you are not interested in losing weight you should bring snacks. Fruit and popcorn are the only things offered besides the meals.

Accommodations- Think hunting lodge, not 4 star Hotel and you'll be fine. Everything was very clean, just not my taste in decor. There is no room service or even phones in the rooms. All the suites in the 'barn' have there own bathrooms. A few of the rooms in the main lodge share a bathroom in the hall. Be sure to ask if having your own bathroom is important to you. It was to me, originally booked in one of the sharing rooms. I upgraded to a private bath as I was going to be there a full week. Between swimming, exercise classes and spa treatments that often involved oil, it wasn't unusual for me to take 2, even 3 showers a day.

One of the negative reviews says Birdwing shouldn't all itself a spa. They also referred to several things that simply weren't true, like a dark dirty, kitchen. If you want to lie around a tiled pool being waited on, and spritzed with mineral water while sipping a drink with cucumbers on your eyes, then Birdwing is not for you. If you want to be surrounded by breathtaking beauty, eat wonderful food and exercise, or even just sit a look at nature, I would most definitely recommend Birdwing.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank louisvillegal
Reviewed 3 April 2008

I have been coming to Birdwing for 16 years on a regular basis and it is nothing short of paradise. The staff is friendly, the grounds are beautiful Spring, Summer, Winter or Fall. The activities are well organized and conducive to a magnificent experience. The food is always great and prepared with each person's needs in mind. The accomodations are always clean and attractive. The spa experience at Birdwing is so great that it is beyond imagination. I can not praise Birdwing enough.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank gerrithegreat
Reviewed 13 March 2008

We have been guests of Birdwing Spa each June for 14 years in a row and have just made reservations for our 15th visit. We love it at Birdwing! The staff at Birdwing truly appreciates our loyalty and treats us with exceptional hospitality and service. Birdwing gives us a chance to relax with nature, eat healthy, be pampered and exercise. Birdwing Spa is good for the spirit. Birdwing Spa makes us feel special. We have met some exceptional people through Birdwing Spa and have always been pleased with our experience. We hope to be able to continue our annual visits to Birdwing for the next 15 years.

Mary & Sharon from Wisconsin

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank scotchandsoda
Reviewed 26 September 2007

Birdwing is a winter wonderland with experienced fitness and wellness teachers who teach snowshoeing and cross-country skiing as well as other classes. The staff was professional and personable with myself and my friends. My room was cleaned daily, linens and towels very soft/comfortable. Oh, the meals were so good especially the heathly desserts. I cook up many of the meals for my family from the Birdwing Cookbook and they are a hit!

I look forward to returning for another Thai Yoga Therapy and sharing the Birdwing experience with my husband for our honeymoon.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)