Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
US$130
US$88
Groupon.com
The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior(Lutsen)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$163
US$213
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior(Tofte)(Great Value!)
US$118
Aspen Inn(Grand Marais)
US$111
US$140
The Shoreline Inn(Grand Marais)
US$122
East Bay Suites(Grand Marais)
US$215
US$195
Mangy Moose Motel(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssea villaspoplar river condoslutsen resortthe pubthe main lodgedining roomlake superiorcovered bridgesea kayakingnorth shorethe activities deskgrand maraisfly fishingair hockeyfull kitchenlog cabinmaster bedroom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I stayed in a one story Sea Villa with a deal we purchased on LivingSocial. These are located a little south of the main resort. We were a bit early on Good Friday and there was noone in the small office. We went down to the main resort to check in. Wonderful desk clerk, very friendly and helpful. We went back to our unit and the parking spot and walk to the door was covered in 3 inches of snow from the day before. No shovel in the unit, so my wife started clearing it her foot, all the while a young man that worked for the company was about 150 feet away with music blasting from his work truck. When she came back in the room we heard somebody out there clearing some of the snow she hadn't. The room was smaller than I expected but very nice and close as possible to an unusually calm Lake Superior. Everything in the room worked fine, full kitchen with utensils, wood burning stove/fireplace. The views all weekend were wonderful. Went into Grand Marais, (my favorite place in the world), on Friday afternoon for a bowl of clam chowder w/wild rice soup and what turned out to be a very potent ale from Bell's brewery in Michigan at the Gunflint Tavern, It was called "Takeover", and it did, Bed was a full, I expected a queen, but that might be my bad. We woke Saturday morning to a mini blizzard blowing in off the lake. Personally I like a day like that when we visit. The hill driving into the villas is pretty steep and I noticed our neighbors had a very hard time going up abot 8:30am. About 9-9:30, a young man in a truck with a plow cleared the hill but nothing else, the whole parking area was a mess. Went to GM again for ice cream at DQ. Relaxed, and wife did one of their puzzles, nice touch. Sunday morning when we left, there was so much mud and ice and slush around the car that we got our feet soaked loading. It's probably a great place in perfect weather but it gets a 3 for me. This resort is nice and has a great reputation, but they need to do something about the parking area.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We spent two nights in the Poplar River Condos. I paid extra for a "Premium" condo, specifically because we wanted an excellent lake view. I do not recommend you do this unless you definitely know the view you will have. Our view -- and others around us -- were blocked by huge trees, leaving only a sliver of lake visible. So that was extremely disappointing. At least one other couple we encountered had the same problem; they insisted at the front desk on being moved. The cheaper "non-premium" Poplar River Condos have a much better view since they are at the top of the hill; you might consider those instead. I think the resort needs to address this false representation issue of charging more for "premium" views that do not deliver. In addition, we had only one set of towels and the sheets and towels were the scratchiest we have ever encountered.
Positives: The room had a nice balcony. The walk across the bridge to the main lodge is lovely, and though steep I was able to climb it. The pub restaurant offered delicious food and excellent wait staff both nights we were there. Walking tour of grounds was interesting and my husband really enjoyed the kayak activity (though the first half was kayak "training" and organization, so you are actually on the water only half the allotted time). Lovely setting to sit on the chairs provided along the shore.

Room Tip: Do not pay more for "Premium" view Poplar River Condo, the non-premium condos actually have better, non-obstructive views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 45traveler45
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Lutsen Resort provides an incredible year-round family experience. From great food to excellent activities, we love the nature, the adventures, and even the quiet family moments spent reading or playing checkers in the lodge together.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Scott_Youngblood
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A room with a view, a walk on the shore, a spectacular dinner - we got the Lutsen specialties and had Kevin wait on us recommending a few unusual beers, delicious! - this spot is perfection. We'll be back!

Room Tip: We're just two and asked to be set apart from families with kids and were in the river condos. Worked for us!
1  Thank alisonyoung
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My wife and I had dinner in the Lutsen Resort dining room last night and were just charmed by the experience. Partly it was the weather: a softly lit, pink sunshine evening overlooking the icy Big Lake. But the food was excellent, the waiter (Kevin) was attentive without hovering, and the magic of that historic dining room worked on us. It was just a very pleasant dinner that left both of us relaxed, satisfied, feeling well looked after. This was a last-minute decision with no real expectations, which somehow made the experience even better.

4  Thank Belvel