“Thank you Caribou Highlands!”

Caribou Highlands Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
Reviewed 5 February 2014

For the last four years we have been spending a family weekend at Lutsen. It is a large group of people but we have been very happy. This year we stayed at Poplar Ridge and the accomodations were wonderful!! I would definitely stay there again, in fact, I would request the same location.

The skiing conditions were good and the shuttle was always just a few minutes away.

From the day we made our reservations through the day we left I felt we were given excellent service. To top it off, we left a snowboard. I was amazed how easily they offered to ship it back to us and how out of their way they went to do this.

We will be continuing this tradition. Thank you Caribou Highlands.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Jennifer G, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Caribou Highlands. We are glad the location, accommodations and service exceeded your expectations. We are privileged to be a part of your tradition and we look forward to welcoming you back again and again in the future! Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

So here's my review on Caribou Highlands. I booked the trip then read the reviews. The ones I read we're all horrible. I then started having a panic attack, because this was my husbands & I anniversary trip. So we got up here and the decor was perfect for the theme of the lodge. The staff was friendly & very helpful (got local tips on snowshoeing the best trails). When I read reviews on how the rooms were dirty, not this one we had (Nordic with whirlpool). I inspected the room (I'm a former housekeeper), nothing looked dirty to me. I was good with & so was the husband.
In conclusion, don't rely on bad reviews to turn you away from here. If you're looking into staying here, look at the good reviews on the lodge.
I'm very happy for what we paid for. You're really here to adventure, not stay in your room the whole time.

Room Tip: We got the Nordic with the whirlpool (we call it the moose room, it had all moose decor.....my favor...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you chose to give us a chance. We do hold our staff to a high standard of cleanliness and customer service. We strive as a team to ensure every guest has the best experience they possibly can and we are pleased to hear everything exceeded your expectations. The Caribou Team is overjoyed that we won your stamp of approval as a past housekeeper too. We hope the memories you made here will last you and your husband a life time…or at least until your next visit! Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you both back in the future.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed caribou highland during the christmas holiday.Our expectation for this resort was not so much before we arrived. it turned totally wrong.
From check in to check out, their intimacy and hospitality service was impressive. Pricing is little bit high but it was okay for the holiday season. friendly front desk clerk, excellent stay over service and restaurant service also magnificent. All the staffs know what the hospitality service is. I guess. they did all their best for accommodating the guests even it was hard.
Executive townhome we stayed was great furnished and cozy atmosphere. adequate space for big guys and purely ski in and out unit.
I can't wait to be back. I already missed caribou and lutsen so badly

Room Tip: Executive townhome is reasonable for big group, Moreover if you seek ski in/out unit, executive home...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank worldtravellerxo

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Caribou Highlands. We are glad the accommodations and service exceeded your groups expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back again and again in the future! Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here in January of 2014. Originally, we booked one of the Poplar Ridge townhomes. The room itself was nice and reasonably clean, though the blanket on the bed had lots of hair on it. However, there was a large group of young people next door who made lots of noise, and we could clearly hear them speaking through the adjoining rooms. They were very loud and obnoxious, and we called the front desk after 11:00 p.m. to tell them about the situation, but there was no one there.

The next morning, we called the front desk, and they offered for us to stay in the main lodge, but nothing else. So we had to move all of our stuff to a different room by ourselves with no help whatsoever. The room there was reasonable.

After staying here three times, I must say that most of the rooms are quite dated in pretty much every way. As far as the location goes, the rooms in the main lodge are indeed ski in/ski out, but most of the Poplar Ridge townhomes are NOT ski in. You can ski out down to the Moose Access run (tough luck if you don't want to go to Moose Mountain), but there's no way to ski in to the townhomes without hiking a long way up. Most of the people staying at the townhomes were driving over to the base area to ski.

So the rooms need to be updated, access to the ski runs needs to be clearly stated for what it is and isn't, and the lodge needs a serious upgrade with customer service. Someone needs to be at the front desk 24/7, and they need to be willing to provide some real help (i.e. help people move, room discount, restaurant gift certificate) to customers in need.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge if you truly want ski in/ski out access. The Poplar Ridge townhomes are NOT...
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

I couldn't complain about the beautiful mountain and all the opportunities it offers. But after spending 3 nights here I couldn't help but post something for anyone who cares. Basically, the lodge is the worst place to stay at Lutsen. We found shards of glass in our bed and we had a ceiling that leaked water in our bathroom. Also, we had to be assertive in order to get the stay 2 nights get 1 night free like the previous post. Literally, if we hadn't said anything they would have charged us $594 for a 3 night stay in a crappy hotel. So, that's all. I wouldn't have given it 2 stars, but I love this place. Stay out of the lodge here. There are plenty of better options in lutsen and if you want to stay at caribou highlands the poplar ridge town homes are a five star option.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Jennifer G, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I apologize that our accommodations did not meet your expectations. We hold our staffs to a high standard of cleanliness and customer service to ensure our guests enjoy their stay and I apologize for not meeting those standards. I assure you this was an unfortunate oddity on our end. We appreciate your repeat business and we would like to make it up to you. As the Assistant General Manager, I encourage you to please contact me directly at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com. Again thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We booked our trip for 4 nights lodging and 4 days skiing. The weather for the last 2 days was going to be 50 DEGREES BELOW ZERO WIND CHILL which would be the coldest it had been for 23 years!!! So cold that the Governor closed public schools STATE WIDE!! Lutsen Mountain was willing to comp 1 of the 2 days lift tickets. We wanted to check out early and come back another time. Caribou Highlands would not even comp 1 of the 2 nights that we had left over. The front desk manager did not even seem to care about the situation. She told us that we could say and enjoy the hotel (which is not what we came to do at Lutsen). She blew us off as if we had no right to ask for it. We just wanted to have 1 of the 2 nights comped. I am in customer service as well as my spouse and this is not how we would handle a situation with even the worst customer. I hope people get a chance to read this, because the customer is number 1.

2  Thank Dan O
Jennifer G, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I apologize for the experience you had while staying with us at Caribou Highlands. We hold all of our staff to high levels of customer service and I sincerely apologize to you for not providing you with the excellent quality of service we pride ourselves on. We appreciate your business and we would be delighted if you would let us make it up to you. As the Assistant General Manager, I encourage you to please contact me directly at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com. Again thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We booked our stay on lutsen.com for a 3 nights, one free ski and stay package. We were going to be late driving up for the first nights stay and were told they would leave the keys out for us if we called them back by 11 pm to confirm we would t make it there by 11 pm. We knew we were going to be late and tried to call the front desk back around 10:20 pm. It went straight to voicemail, as if the night greeting was already turned on. We left 2 voicemails asking for a call back to confirm someone would leave our keys out or be there to let us in when we arrived. When we did arrive at 11:30 pm they had left our keys out in the entrance and luckily there was still an employee at the front desk. They let us in to our room. It was a very frustrating drive though on the last leg not knowing if they would have a room for us or be open when we arrived even though we were told to call back to be sure they left keys out for us. Couldn't get ahold of anyone though because they turned the phones off.
We get into our room, which was fine, nothing fancy. We enjoyed 1 day of ski passes on the hill and then the weather forecast said it would be a high of - 20 with a -50 windchill on the last 2 days of our stay. The ticket office said they would gladly give us vouchers for another time for the days we did not use our ski passes. Great deal, coldest stretch of weather in 18 years and the governor closed all schools in the state. We were told our lodging might do something similar. When talking to the front desk manager about it on day 2 of our stay about the next 2 days being far too cold and we wanted to get vouchers to come back when it was warmer, she almost laughed at us. She thought our request was absolutely insane. She couldn't even believe the ticket office gave us a voucher and called to confirm. She said because we booked through lutsen.com she could not give a voucher due to the weather. She was very rude and didn't seem to care about our situation. She said we could stay and enjoy the lodging for the remainder of our trip...true, but I don't think my car will start in -20 temps and I won't be able to leave and get back home to return to work. I think she was very unreasonable, didn't even offer to call the general manager to confirm or offer us anything. I work in customer service myself so I think I am allowed to criticize her behavior on the job. I will not be returning to this lodge and will not recommend it to anyone I know visiting Lutsen. Very dissatisfied with our stay!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AMKOlson

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I apologize for the experience you had while staying with us at Caribou Highlands. We hold all of our staff to high levels of customer service and I sincerely apologize to you for not providing you with the excellent quality of service we pride ourselves on. We appreciate your business and we would be delighted if you would let us make it up to you. As the Assistant General Manager, I encourage you to please contact me directly at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com. Again thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we hope you will give us a second chance in the year to come.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lutsen
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
19 mi away
Aspen Lodge
Aspen Lodge
#8 of 10 in Grand Marais

Been to Caribou Highlands Lodge? Share your experiences!