Caribou Highlands Lodge
The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior(Lutsen)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$163
US$213
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior(Tofte)(Great Value!)
US$118
Aspen Inn(Grand Marais)
US$111
US$140
The Shoreline Inn(Grand Marais)
US$122
Hotels.com
East Bay Suites(Grand Marais)
US$215
US$195
Mangy Moose Motel(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
TripAdvisor
Best Western Plus Superior Inn(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
US$158
BestWestern.com
All reviewspoplar ridgeoutdoor pooltown homesfront desk staffnorth shorelutsen areacanoe tripprime ribwe've stayedbunk bedsgrand maraismain floorwood burning fireplacealpine slideliving roomgreat resortping pong table
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We came to this area for my fiance's birthday. we wanted to try kyacking and come up to the North Shore. I picked this hotel because there was a restaurant/bar on site and they offered free kyack lessons. When we arrived at 8, we were told the restaurant bar closed at 8...what??? we were told it would be closed the entire next day for a private party....what???? then, we asked to sign up for kyacking. Sorry, the river is too high and too fast...funny you didnt mention that when I booked. the room was average and clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kimberly N, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Oh, No! That does not make for a very enjoyable vacation. I would love to have you back during a time that we could make sure you can get on the Poplar River canoeing, and dine in our restaurant. Please give me a call so we can make that happen. Sorry for your troubles.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We have been to this resort a total of 3 times. Twice in the winter a few years ago, and most recently , beginning of June. The website advertises 2 hot tubs and 2 pools. All 3 times we have been there both hot tubs have not worked or have been "waiting for parts." I'm not sure they were ever fixed and working properly. It was disappointing to know that after a long day of skiing, we would not be able to relax in a hot tub. And on the most recent trip, we hiked, and still no working hot tub to enjoy. The room we had was nice. The walls were thin, and could hear the neighbors walking around up stairs, but they were gone the next day, so it was quiet. For the price that we paid, we would have enjoyed a few more working amenities. I realize this. is a ski resort, however I do believe that if they are going to be open and services available during their off season, they should put just as much effort into making their customers stay as enjoyable as in the winter.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank brockner75

Thank-you for reviewing our property! I am happy to inform you that we have done some renovations in our Pool area recently, and will complete the renovation in the Town-home Spa in the next couple weeks. Please give me a call so that we may discuss how you may enjoy these new updates. I am so sorry that you were unable to enjoy these amenities during your stay.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Caribou is an annual tradition, each year at check in I question why. Staff is efficient enough but over friendliness is lacking, strain to get them to acknowledge your presence upon arrival. Grounds need some sprucing up, in our room the water spout ( fire ) had rust running down the wall. Must have had some problems, as in the pool area the blue paint was streaked down the wall from fire spouts also, the wood on windows all peeling... We arrived the weekend after Labor Day, assume the property in top shape for summer season, still limited hours for Gondola rides and store. The sauna and hot tub were not operating in our building. Do not order the Magherita Pizza, canned tomatoes, overall pizza tasted like fish.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

On the North Shore, during May it is considered quiet time for businesses and resorts. During this time rates are reduced at resorts to encourage bookings with limited hours and for those properties that do maintenance work as well. This year we had additional challenges as our ski season was extended and we were not able to accomplish all that we had hoped before your arrival. We had missed the mark with your expectations, and would love to make it right with you! Please give me a call, so we may discuss this. Thank-you, and again I apologize.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Upon arrival and getting to our room we noticed there was no soap/shampoo. The toilet was dirty and the toilet paper roll had poop on the side of it. The front desk was less than concerned with this when brought to their attention. Housekeeping was not done at 5pm when leaving for dinner the first night. Mind you we informed the front desk 4 times this day. We caught the crew as they were leaving for the day. The housekeeping lady was the only apologetic one during our stay. Day 2 again no housekeeping service. We finally got some with major attitude. I was told that they don't offer daily maid service unless we are staying a week. How many of you travelers have stayed at a chain hotel such as even a Super 8? Seriously if they can provide daily housekeeping you would think that the luxurious slopeside Caribou Highlands could do the same with a smile and without attitude. Didn't realize this was such a big problem for the resort to make their guests feel welcome.

The room heater/ac unit was not working properly. The heat would not shut off no matter what the temp knob was set at. Either freezing cold or a sauna. Maintenance was made aware and came to look at it immediately but said there was nothing they could do.

The dining room however was a nice change of pace from the front desk. Food was fresh and tasted great. The server was very friendly.

Disappointed that this was supposed to be a fun trip with my kids and the last time their Grandpa would be able to ever ski again. Not the memories we were hoping for.

Room Tip: Level 2 is street level. There are no elevators.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank John R
Jennifer G, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for reviewing your past stay with us. We value your feedback and I want to reassure you these issues have all been brought to the attention of department managers for correction. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had during your stay and I hope you will give us a chance to make it up to you. As the Assistant General Manager I encourage you to contact me directly at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com. Again, thank you for your time and we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We spent seven days in a Nordic slopeside studio unit over spring break. It was great to have a full kitchen for meals and the scenery was beautiful. We also had a fantastic massage at the studio on the premises. However, there were a number of issues with our stay that we could not overlook. First, the walls are so thin that you can hear everything going on in the units above you and next to you. You can hear conversations, music and walking. We were woken up multiple nights by noise in the unit above us. Caribou Highlands does not staff the front desk at night, so there was no help with monitoring the noise. We took it upon ourselves to call the unit above us to ask for them to please it hold down. Second, although the units are assigned a parking spot, we repeatedly had other vehicles parking in our spot. Third, the condos are not provided any service during the week. We had to call every few days for towels and basic things like coffee filters are not provided. Fourth, the wi-fi service is terrible. Getting a connection is hit or miss, and you cannot do anything on the internet except basic email, which can also be challenging at times. Fifth, the fitness facility is not well-maintained. There were no towels there (although the sign says to not take the towels back to your room), there were no wipes to clean the machines after use, there was no source of water and the facility was not cleaned on a daily basis. For the price and advertising of this "resort," we were very disappointed in the service and the facility itself. Caribou Highlands has some work to do to compete with other resorts in the area.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Nordic condos. Very noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Terri L

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us here at Caribou Highlands. We sincerely apologize for the complications you endured during your stay. We highly value your feedback and I want to reassure you these issues have been brought to the attention of department managers for correction. We are working with the local provider to improve our Wi-Fi and will see a huge improvement in the speed/bandwidth in the coming months. I hope you will give us a chance to make it up to you. As the Assistant General Manager I encourage you to contact me directly at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com. Thank you for your review and I look forward to speaking with you soon.