“Not what I paid for!”

Caribou Highlands Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
Reviewed 17 July 2014

For the July 4th holiday I had reserved a Nordic Whirlpool condo for one week. When I reserved I was informed there was also both indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs, an award winning restaurant/pub that would be open daily for lunch and dinner and the room would have a private balcony. When we arrived the parking lots were roped off due to the roof being replaced and the shake shingles, tar paper and nails being everywhere. When asked how long this would be going on we were told 2-3 more days. The restaurant would only be available one night from 4-8, the indoor sauna was closed, the balcony was not private and the tv and internet would not be working due to the roofers having to remove the satellites. The balcony also had shingle pieces, nails, and other items on it along with roofers working above and next to the balcony. The room itself had the items described, although very old and outdated.
We checked out, received a full refund but being a holiday week we spent hours trying to find another place that could accommodate us for the week and had to split the time between two places.
Caribou Highlands should have notified us of these issues prior. We drove 10 hours to arrive to this and it certainly did not start our vacation off well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank dznyfn1
Jennifer G, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had at our property. We did have roofing take place that unexpectedly was delayed last minute which prolonged the process into the holiday time. As a result of the roofing we did have to unexpectedly close our hot tub during this time due to some additional maintenance issues. I assure you this is not the norm and is definitely not the experience we like to provide our guests. The two hot tubs on site are back in running order as well as the indoor and outdoor pool. Moguls each week is extending their hours bit by bit as we have more staff join our restaurant team. I cannot apologize enough for your stay and I would like the opportunity to welcome you back in the future where you can experience all that our resort has to offer. Please contact me directly at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com or 218-663-7241 ext. 4502. Thank your for your review and I hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Outdoors and Indoors were well maintained. The 4 bed room suite we stayed with friends was great! Well furnished with microwave and fridge in every bed room and all appliances worked. The TVs in all rooms must be upgraded to a larger size. They were all 30" or less. They should be at least 42". Tennis courts were not maintained. Of the 2 courts, only one was marginally playable. Indoor pool water was too cold. Outdoor pool was great! Carpet was very old but clean and bathroom fixtures were not up to the mark. The shower fittings were loose and they should change the shower head to a better one. Hot tub was out when we visited but never got any discount for it. No coffee in the main lobby, which I expect, giving that we are paying so much. The choices for TV channels was laughable. WifFi was functioning only marginally well. We had to call to re-boot the router. Overall, not worth what I paid for.

Room Tip: Most cellphones won't work. Need to depend on Wifi for connectivity but the performance here wa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sreenath A

Thank you for your time in reviewing your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed the Poplar Four Bedroom Ridge Homes. We are currently in the process of updating our property, starting with our pool facilities and Wi-Fi connection. We did recently have fiber optic linked to our facility so we hope to have this live by the end of Fall 2014. We do appreciate your comments as it does provide us with valuable feedback as to how we can continue to improve our facility and the overall guest experience. My name is Jennifer and I am the Assistant General Manager of Caribou Highlands Lodge. Please feel free to contact me directly at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com or 218-663-7241 Ext 4502 to review your stay with us and provide us with a chance to make things right. Thank you for your time and being our guests.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed in the "Nordic Whirlpool Condo" . There was not a sitting area...the whirlpool took up most of the room. The fireplace was screwed shut with a sign that said "out of order". There was an inadequate no. of towels and facecloths for a 3 night stay, and no cleaning service or offer of more. The carpet in the hallways was very worn, and there was a large crack in the drywall. This resort is in need of some major repair/renovations.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David L

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Caribou Highlands Lodge. We apologize that the accommodations did not meet your standards, and are in the process of updating our property one step at a time. Housekeeping Services are provided upon request for our Condos, Townhomes and Poplar Ridge Homes. We are more than happy to assist you with fresh towels and stay over service. Again, I apologize for the experience you had in our Nordic Whirlpool Condo. I implore you to please contact me directly to discuss your stay with us and give us a chance to make things right. My name is Jennifer and I am the Assistant General Manager of Caribou Highlands Lodge. You can contact me at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com or 218-663-7241 ext. 4502. Thank you for being our guests and we hope you will consider us again in the future.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We came to this area for my fiance's birthday. we wanted to try kyacking and come up to the North Shore. I picked this hotel because there was a restaurant/bar on site and they offered free kyack lessons. When we arrived at 8, we were told the restaurant bar closed at 8...what??? we were told it would be closed the entire next day for a private party....what???? then, we asked to sign up for kyacking. Sorry, the river is too high and too fast...funny you didnt mention that when I booked. the room was average and clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kimberly N, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Oh, No! That does not make for a very enjoyable vacation. I would love to have you back during a time that we could make sure you can get on the Poplar River canoeing, and dine in our restaurant. Please give me a call so we can make that happen. Sorry for your troubles.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We have been to this resort a total of 3 times. Twice in the winter a few years ago, and most recently , beginning of June. The website advertises 2 hot tubs and 2 pools. All 3 times we have been there both hot tubs have not worked or have been "waiting for parts." I'm not sure they were ever fixed and working properly. It was disappointing to know that after a long day of skiing, we would not be able to relax in a hot tub. And on the most recent trip, we hiked, and still no working hot tub to enjoy. The room we had was nice. The walls were thin, and could hear the neighbors walking around up stairs, but they were gone the next day, so it was quiet. For the price that we paid, we would have enjoyed a few more working amenities. I realize this. is a ski resort, however I do believe that if they are going to be open and services available during their off season, they should put just as much effort into making their customers stay as enjoyable as in the winter.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank brockner75

Thank-you for reviewing our property! I am happy to inform you that we have done some renovations in our Pool area recently, and will complete the renovation in the Town-home Spa in the next couple weeks. Please give me a call so that we may discuss how you may enjoy these new updates. I am so sorry that you were unable to enjoy these amenities during your stay.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Caribou is an annual tradition, each year at check in I question why. Staff is efficient enough but over friendliness is lacking, strain to get them to acknowledge your presence upon arrival. Grounds need some sprucing up, in our room the water spout ( fire ) had rust running down the wall. Must have had some problems, as in the pool area the blue paint was streaked down the wall from fire spouts also, the wood on windows all peeling... We arrived the weekend after Labor Day, assume the property in top shape for summer season, still limited hours for Gondola rides and store. The sauna and hot tub were not operating in our building. Do not order the Magherita Pizza, canned tomatoes, overall pizza tasted like fish.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

On the North Shore, during May it is considered quiet time for businesses and resorts. During this time rates are reduced at resorts to encourage bookings with limited hours and for those properties that do maintenance work as well. This year we had additional challenges as our ski season was extended and we were not able to accomplish all that we had hoped before your arrival. We had missed the mark with your expectations, and would love to make it right with you! Please give me a call, so we may discuss this. Thank-you, and again I apologize.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Upon arrival and getting to our room we noticed there was no soap/shampoo. The toilet was dirty and the toilet paper roll had poop on the side of it. The front desk was less than concerned with this when brought to their attention. Housekeeping was not done at 5pm when leaving for dinner the first night. Mind you we informed the front desk 4 times this day. We caught the crew as they were leaving for the day. The housekeeping lady was the only apologetic one during our stay. Day 2 again no housekeeping service. We finally got some with major attitude. I was told that they don't offer daily maid service unless we are staying a week. How many of you travelers have stayed at a chain hotel such as even a Super 8? Seriously if they can provide daily housekeeping you would think that the luxurious slopeside Caribou Highlands could do the same with a smile and without attitude. Didn't realize this was such a big problem for the resort to make their guests feel welcome.

The room heater/ac unit was not working properly. The heat would not shut off no matter what the temp knob was set at. Either freezing cold or a sauna. Maintenance was made aware and came to look at it immediately but said there was nothing they could do.

The dining room however was a nice change of pace from the front desk. Food was fresh and tasted great. The server was very friendly.

Disappointed that this was supposed to be a fun trip with my kids and the last time their Grandpa would be able to ever ski again. Not the memories we were hoping for.

Room Tip: Level 2 is street level. There are no elevators.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank John R
Jennifer G, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for reviewing your past stay with us. We value your feedback and I want to reassure you these issues have all been brought to the attention of department managers for correction. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had during your stay and I hope you will give us a chance to make it up to you. As the Assistant General Manager I encourage you to contact me directly at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com. Again, thank you for your time and we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lutsen
Best Western Plus Superior Inn & Suites
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior
East Bay Suites
East Bay Suites
#3 of 10 in Grand Marais
Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain
The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior

Been to Caribou Highlands Lodge? Share your experiences!