“Great vacation but needs some improvement”

Caribou Highlands Lodge
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have stayed here before in the Townhomes. The townhome we stayed in had a few maintenance issues that needed addressing as well as wifi issues. The canoe guide had quit an hour before we arrived, so no canoeing, and one of the hot tubs was being reroofed, and the restaurant was only open one of the nights we were there. We had asked for clean towels every day and received them twice ( 4 days) but had to ask each day, they did not bring them automatically- same with the trash. I like to have clean towels and have the trash taken out daily and think this should be done. The front desk was super friendly upon check in and the gal when checking out was effecient but never asked us how our stay was or said thank you or anything, just doing her job. We do love the view and love the townhomes, so we will probably go back and give it another try.

Room Tip: The townhomes (Poplar Ridge all face the mountains and trees and the decks are very nice to sit out...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank donih
Jennifer G, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We do apologize for the issues/service you did endure during your stay. We have had unexpected staffing changes and we do apologize that it negatively affected your stay. We are currently rebuilding our team for both canoeing and restaurant staff. We too would love to have you be our guests again in the future. If you need any additional assistance please feel free to contact me at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com or 218-663-7241 ext. 4502. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We had an excellent, quick family getaway at Caribou Highlands from July 16 to 18th. We stayed in a 1 bedroom condo. The condo had a large balcony and functional kitchen. Our room had some updated decor, but it's northern MN, so don't expect ultra-modern.

The outdoor pool was great for the kids and was very quiet (since we stayed Wed-Fri).

We had dinner at Moguls which was quite good.

I was surprised that it wasn't busier, but I guess many people want to stay right at the lake (rather than 5 minutes off the lake). The location is actually great since being off the lake makes it a little less windy and chilly.

It is a little pricey and perhaps the mid-week rates should be lower, given the quiet-ness of the resort.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent family getaway with us here at Caribou Highlands Lodge. We are pleased you enjoyed the location, accommodations, and amenities that we have to offer here at our property. We thank you for being our guest and we look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

For the July 4th holiday I had reserved a Nordic Whirlpool condo for one week. When I reserved I was informed there was also both indoor and outdoor pools and hot tubs, an award winning restaurant/pub that would be open daily for lunch and dinner and the room would have a private balcony. When we arrived the parking lots were roped off due to the roof being replaced and the shake shingles, tar paper and nails being everywhere. When asked how long this would be going on we were told 2-3 more days. The restaurant would only be available one night from 4-8, the indoor sauna was closed, the balcony was not private and the tv and internet would not be working due to the roofers having to remove the satellites. The balcony also had shingle pieces, nails, and other items on it along with roofers working above and next to the balcony. The room itself had the items described, although very old and outdated.
We checked out, received a full refund but being a holiday week we spent hours trying to find another place that could accommodate us for the week and had to split the time between two places.
Caribou Highlands should have notified us of these issues prior. We drove 10 hours to arrive to this and it certainly did not start our vacation off well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank dznyfn1

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had at our property. We did have roofing take place that unexpectedly was delayed last minute which prolonged the process into the holiday time. As a result of the roofing we did have to unexpectedly close our hot tub during this time due to some additional maintenance issues. I assure you this is not the norm and is definitely not the experience we like to provide our guests. The two hot tubs on site are back in running order as well as the indoor and outdoor pool. Moguls each week is extending their hours bit by bit as we have more staff join our restaurant team. I cannot apologize enough for your stay and I would like the opportunity to welcome you back in the future where you can experience all that our resort has to offer. Please contact me directly at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com or 218-663-7241 ext. 4502. Thank your for your review and I hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Outdoors and Indoors were well maintained. The 4 bed room suite we stayed with friends was great! Well furnished with microwave and fridge in every bed room and all appliances worked. The TVs in all rooms must be upgraded to a larger size. They were all 30" or less. They should be at least 42". Tennis courts were not maintained. Of the 2 courts, only one was marginally playable. Indoor pool water was too cold. Outdoor pool was great! Carpet was very old but clean and bathroom fixtures were not up to the mark. The shower fittings were loose and they should change the shower head to a better one. Hot tub was out when we visited but never got any discount for it. No coffee in the main lobby, which I expect, giving that we are paying so much. The choices for TV channels was laughable. WifFi was functioning only marginally well. We had to call to re-boot the router. Overall, not worth what I paid for.

Room Tip: Most cellphones won't work. Need to depend on Wifi for connectivity but the performance here wa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sreenath A

Thank you for your time in reviewing your recent stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed the Poplar Four Bedroom Ridge Homes. We are currently in the process of updating our property, starting with our pool facilities and Wi-Fi connection. We did recently have fiber optic linked to our facility so we hope to have this live by the end of Fall 2014. We do appreciate your comments as it does provide us with valuable feedback as to how we can continue to improve our facility and the overall guest experience. My name is Jennifer and I am the Assistant General Manager of Caribou Highlands Lodge. Please feel free to contact me directly at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com or 218-663-7241 Ext 4502 to review your stay with us and provide us with a chance to make things right. Thank you for your time and being our guests.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed in the "Nordic Whirlpool Condo" . There was not a sitting area...the whirlpool took up most of the room. The fireplace was screwed shut with a sign that said "out of order". There was an inadequate no. of towels and facecloths for a 3 night stay, and no cleaning service or offer of more. The carpet in the hallways was very worn, and there was a large crack in the drywall. This resort is in need of some major repair/renovations.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David L

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Caribou Highlands Lodge. We apologize that the accommodations did not meet your standards, and are in the process of updating our property one step at a time. Housekeeping Services are provided upon request for our Condos, Townhomes and Poplar Ridge Homes. We are more than happy to assist you with fresh towels and stay over service. Again, I apologize for the experience you had in our Nordic Whirlpool Condo. I implore you to please contact me directly to discuss your stay with us and give us a chance to make things right. My name is Jennifer and I am the Assistant General Manager of Caribou Highlands Lodge. You can contact me at Jennifer@caribouhighlands.com or 218-663-7241 ext. 4502. Thank you for being our guests and we hope you will consider us again in the future.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We came to this area for my fiance's birthday. we wanted to try kyacking and come up to the North Shore. I picked this hotel because there was a restaurant/bar on site and they offered free kyack lessons. When we arrived at 8, we were told the restaurant bar closed at 8...what??? we were told it would be closed the entire next day for a private party....what???? then, we asked to sign up for kyacking. Sorry, the river is too high and too fast...funny you didnt mention that when I booked. the room was average and clean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kimberly N, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Oh, No! That does not make for a very enjoyable vacation. I would love to have you back during a time that we could make sure you can get on the Poplar River canoeing, and dine in our restaurant. Please give me a call so we can make that happen. Sorry for your troubles.

Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

We have been to this resort a total of 3 times. Twice in the winter a few years ago, and most recently , beginning of June. The website advertises 2 hot tubs and 2 pools. All 3 times we have been there both hot tubs have not worked or have been "waiting for parts." I'm not sure they were ever fixed and working properly. It was disappointing to know that after a long day of skiing, we would not be able to relax in a hot tub. And on the most recent trip, we hiked, and still no working hot tub to enjoy. The room we had was nice. The walls were thin, and could hear the neighbors walking around up stairs, but they were gone the next day, so it was quiet. For the price that we paid, we would have enjoyed a few more working amenities. I realize this. is a ski resort, however I do believe that if they are going to be open and services available during their off season, they should put just as much effort into making their customers stay as enjoyable as in the winter.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank brockner75

Thank-you for reviewing our property! I am happy to inform you that we have done some renovations in our Pool area recently, and will complete the renovation in the Town-home Spa in the next couple weeks. Please give me a call so that we may discuss how you may enjoy these new updates. I am so sorry that you were unable to enjoy these amenities during your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lutsen
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
19 mi away
Aspen Lodge
Aspen Lodge
#8 of 10 in Grand Marais

Been to Caribou Highlands Lodge? Share your experiences!