Before writing my review, I read some of the others. Here are some things I believe people considering this resort should know when booking here:
- There are five distinct types of accommodations in this development.
1. Lodge rooms are like a discount hotel. Not well furnished and small. Review comments tend to be negative for these. I have never been in one, and won't based on the comments.
2. Condos in the condo building are privately owned and managed by the resort on behalf of the owners. Because these are privately owned, unit and finishing quality varies. The common areas in this building are tired and need updating.
3. Poplar, Poplar Elite, and Superior - These are also privately owned and managed by the resort for the owners. These vary in size and finish quality as well. They offer better privacy and are in a quieter area. Poplars have one loft bedroom and a bunk room in the basement. Poplar Elite are a little bigger with two bedrooms in the basement. Superior are the end units and offer bigger decks.
4. Executive Lodges are four bedrooms and have much bigger common space in the unit. Also privately owned and resort managed. A bit nicer than the three units in (3).
5. Poplar Ridge units are four bedroom townhomes with many ways to lock off such that they can be turned into one-, two- and three- bedroom units as well. These are the newest lodging in the development.
-We stayed in Poplar Condo No. 522. We had our dog with us and this was a pet friendly unit, which we appreciated. While there are beds for 8 people in this unit, I couldn't imagine having 8 people in the unit on a rainy day. It would be bodies on bodies. We were comfortable with four.
-In sum, we had a great trip. Caribou Highlands is well located and offers excellent access to all that the North Shore has to offer. We spent a day in Grand Marais, a day on the alpine slide and in the resort, and a day at the Temperance River. We enjoyed the outdoor pool and indoor hot tubs, all of which were in operation while we were there, contrary to others' comments.
-The biggest problem with the resort is the severe need of updating of common areas and finishing in the units. Everything seems dated and tired.
-We had an ongoing saga with the electronic key mechanism not working on our unit. Staff was diligent and friendly in addressing this and offered us some much appreciated accommodations for our trouble. While not promptly fixed, it wasn't for lack of effort.
- Wifi service was spotty.
- The televisions in our unit were TINY. These should be updated with more modern units.
-If I were coming to ski at Lutsen, this is the only place I would stay. In the summer, I think there may be better choices and we intend to test that theory. My daughters have expressed a desire to be closer to the lake.
-One nice touch is that the resort keeps s'mores supplies stocked at the community fire pit in the evening.
All in all, CH is a decent place to stay, but not ultra lux. This could be a great resort, but unfortunately is simply a good resort at this time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Caribou Highlands Lodge on Lutsen Mountains, Minnesota's and the Midwest's largest ski destination located at the tallest mountain in the Midwest. Caribou Highlands is Minnesota's favorite ski resort. Our location nestled in amongst the Sawtooth Mountains just one mile inland from Lake Superior's North Shore, offers great views and a unique ski experience. Where else can you get big skiing and enjoy the unbroken Lake Superior horizon at the same time.The mountain views as enjoyed from our lodge rooms, condos, townhomes and spacious four-bedroom Poplar Ridge log homes are magnificent. Take the mountain gondola to the top of Moose Mountain and enjoy the breathtaking vistas of wide open water of Lake Superior.A Minnesota Family Ski ResortOnce you arrive at Caribou Highlands family ski resort in Lutsen, you'll find so much to do that there's no need to drive further. We have many resort activities that are offered as complimentary guest services, and are included in the very popular Explore! program. One of our most popular activities is the Mountain Kids Camp where kids are entertained with games and activities that are both challenging and fun. With so many choices of activities, it's nice to know there are also many ways to relax. There are three spa areas at the resort and an indoor pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Booking.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Caribou Highlands Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caribou Highlands Hotel Lutsen
- Caribou Highlands Resort