“Reasonably Priced on The Lake”

Solbakken on Superior
Overland Park, Kansas
“Reasonably Priced on The Lake”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

We stayed in one of the fireplace suites with our two children (13 & 15). It was a large suite with two bedrooms (both with queen beds) and a fold-out couch in the living area. The kitchen & shower were a bit outdated, but functional. There are four cabins that are near the water that appeared private and romantic. The "lodge" is further from the water, but you can walk down to the shore. Unfortunately, the shore is rocky and the shoreline drops off steeply, so it's really not a place to spend much time. Attached to the lodge are motel rooms that looked a bit dingy. Inside the lodge, the gathering area was warm and inviting.

We stayed here because we wanted to rent a cabin on the shoreline. I would stay here again if we could stay in one of the cabins where you can hear the waves. Otherwise, I would try to find a place closer to shops and restaurants that was more up to date. The suites in the lodge are roomy and functional, but not quite what I was looking for in a cabin stay. When I saw the motel rooms from the outside, I was glad that we did not rent one of those.

Overall, our stay was pleasant. The price was reasonable. The facility was very clean. The owners were accommodating. We were a bit disappointed in the access to the lake and the shoreline. It was a good place to stay as a base camp for visiting other sites, but not a destination in itself.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

My wife and I went up here with our dog last year and loved it. Unfortunately for us, we just had to cancel our trip for July 22 of this year! So that means there's an opening! Book it people! You won't be disappointed!

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Scott43323
Farmington, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

We have stayed at Solbakken Resort three times and have it reserved for ten days next summer! Between my husband and I and our families we have literally been in every cabin! My favorite is the three bedroom cabin 1. It has a really open roomy feel to it. it's right on the shore of Lake Superiior so you can go to sleep listening to the waves.
The staff are all incredibly friendly and helpful. Scott, the manager, not only booked our first reservation, he helped me plan my wedding as I didn't know anything about Lutsen. He was our photographer (highly recommend him) he also helped me find a florist, a baker, a JP and a great place to have our wedding dinner!
All in all I can't think of anything negative about Solbakken. I do recommend that if you rent a one bedroom cabin you should have no more than 2 people as they are really small, but really cozy!
I'm already doing the countdown to next year and I think I'm going to try to squeeze a fall trip in this year also. Oh and one other thing, they are very pet friendly! Which is important to me because we don't travel without our dogs!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank kiariamom
Sauk Centre, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Solbakken is an older resort, with several rustic cabins and a 3-bedroom house called the Jonas House, where we stayed. We had been in the smaller cabins before, but this time wanted the whole family there for a birthday celebration. I would call the place "shabby chic," because even though it is an older facility, everything works as it should and one really gets the sense of privacy, as though the cabin were one's own. The lodge owners are very friendly and eager to please. There is nothing deluxe about the place but if you are looking for peace, quiet and isolation in what is possibly the most beautiful part of Minnesota, the Solbakken is the place to check out. Rustic, cozy and comfortable -- a perfect lake getaway!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank crisro
Iron Mountain, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

I just got back from 4 nights at Solbakken, 3 nights in a cabin on the shorline and one in the handicap accessible lodge suite with my elderly mom. This place is a treasure! The cabins are right on the rocky coast allowing the guests a panoramic view of Lake Superior and shoreline. Our cabin was barrier-free making it possible for my elderly mom to come. The privacy, tranquility and serenity of the place make it worth the 7.5 hour drive for me. The owners are hard-working good people who truly care about their guests and work hard to address any special need or concern. My only complaint would be that the beds need new matresses. I called ahead and requested boards be put under each mattress. These were in place when we got there. An employee actually helped me get my mom settled and helped me bring in our things. The cabin was clean and the kitchen very clean, equiped with nice pans and stoneware dishes as well as any utensile you might need. A Weber Grill is outside for each cabin's use. The ancient lava flow that comprises the shoreline here slopes gently to the lake inviting some gentle rock scrambling if you wish. But the huge deck out front places you right at the water's edge. You can be enveloped in the scene with out getting out of your chair if you choose. If you want electronic media entertainment and luxury then find another spot. But if you are looking for a genuine northwoods experience amidst the splendor of mighty Lake Superior then this is truly the place! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2010
cascadelodge, Owner at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this review, 23 August 2010
Thanks for your kind review of Solbakken! We really appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again.
Edina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

We needed a place to stay for one night in Lutsen, MN. My husband booked a room at the Sobakken Resort (Motel). We stayed in room #8. The smell of mildew in this room is so strong it is nearly toxic. We asked for different room and none were available. It was literally hard to sleep as the smell was so strong. The cabins were on the water and looked nicer. There is not really access to the water when you stay at the motel. It was the worst room I have ever stayed in I am in the travel business.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Minnesotamom1
Margie D, Front Office Manager at Solbakken on Superior, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Please note that we have new owners and management as of June 2013. The 6 unit motel is one of the first to get upgraded. Besides an exterior facelift, we are in the process of removing all the carpets room by room, and have addressed some issues in the crawl space which both have resolved the funky smell. Bathroom remodels are scheduled soon also. May I also point out that each motel has access to a deck with lovely lake view. There is access to the shore for exploring that area and even a few steps to take you closer. The shore is to be enjoyed by all our guests, not just those staying in the cabins.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2008

On the way home from a past camping trip to Cascade River State Park last summer, my wife and I stopped at nearly every Resort / Lodge we could find between Grand Marais and Duluth, looking for A) A place we could afford; B) a view of Lake Superior; & C) cozy romantic and private cabin at which to spend our first anniversary.

Solbakken, on price alone, was by far, less expensive then other resorts, of nearly any quality. On top of that, every room had a view of the Lake: from the motel-style rooms with nice wood decks, to 1-2 bedroom fireplace suites, to fully furnished cabins & lake homes (with outdoor fire pits on the rocks a couple feet from the Lake.).

While affordable and having a great view, certain little details could use a little updating (several of the cabins are new, concerning which this probably doesn't apply), but nothing worth writing home about. In deed, it was quite clean and well kept.

The property is family owned, which is certainly a boon, they live on site and take personal interest in your stay. The great room / lobby has beautiful exposed log beams, and hunting lodge-style decor. There is a library of books, videos, & board games available for use on the honor system as well.

We would have made use of the hot tub and sauna in the main lodge, but my wife is pregnant (yea!).

All around, nothing is better than feeling at home up north for the weekend, with a fire roaring and the clash of the waves against the rocks heard easily with the window slightly open, and knowing that you are getting it all for a great price too!

(They have a good website with 360-degree photos in all the rooms/cabins, and on the property as well. [-] )

• Liked — Location, Price, Fireplace
  • Disliked — Firm Bed
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ventureJeffrey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lutsen
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
#3 of 10 in Grand Marais
Cascade Lodge
Cascade Lodge
#1 of 4 in Lutsen

Been to Solbakken on Superior? Share your experiences!