“Located on a very nice beach... Very good family hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Myconian Resort & Thalasso Spa Center

Royal Myconian Resort & Thalasso Spa Center
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Elia
Athens, Greece
“Located on a very nice beach... Very good family hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is situated in elia beach which is one pf the best on the island... It is on the top of the hill so it is very difficult to walk back from the beach (you need car or shuttle service).... It is a bit far from chira but if you have a car is ok.. The hotel offers hourly shuttle to chora till 00.30. The breakfast is very good as the view from the rooms which are spacious with excellent beds. The commonplaces are abit heavy for my taste but that is a personal opinion... Nice gym and spa area... We never swim in pools so no comments about it....in few words .... Nice beach family hotel... Recommended

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank zoomendoscopist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We went to the Royal Myconian for a week with my family. The hotel is really nice with an amazing view and it is located approximately 15-25min from down town and 5min by walking to the beach.
The hotel provides buses to go to the beach and town which is great because you don't have to worry about finding a cab ( knowing that there aren't many cabs in town).

The room was quite big with an amazing view of the sea. And most importantly it was SPOTLESS (every single day). The housekeeper did a great job!

The other members of staff were very welcoming and friendly.
The spa treatments were amazing so as the products lines they carry.

It was a really great experience, I would definitely come back!

Stayed August 2014
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have never written a review of a hotel maybe because until now I had never had such a bad experience in any place! If you come to this hotel do not expect a 5-star service, be patient as otherwise you will not enjoy your stay. The staff in general is nice but communication is extraordinarily difficult with them. They understand almost every language, but it seems they simply chose not to listen. Everything has to be repeated three times, they nod, smile, but completely ignore your requests which is very frustrating as a guest. Here as some of the examples of what to expect here:

- We arrived at the airport where we were told someone would be waiting for us. Our flight was delayed by 30 min so we assumed there would already be someone waiting for us outside. When we came out, we saw a person from the hotel but when we asked him, he told us it was not him who was supposed to pick us up but a colleague of his (he did not provide any details as to when the colleague would arrive). At some point this man disappears and we are left waiting by ourselves at the airport. 25 minutes later (that is, 55 min from the expected arrival time) another woman appears to pick us up, when we ask about the delay she simply answered "I told my colleague to tell you".

- We had booked a car through the webpage when we made our reservation and confirmed it by phone prior to our arrival. However, the day we arrived we asked about it at the front-desk during our check-in to which the answer was "I will check on it and let you know". They took us to our room and we stayed there until late afternoon. Since no one had contacted us about the car, we asked again at the front desk before going out for dinner and this time the question was "What agency did you book it with?" to which we answered that we did not know, we had booked it through the hotel, if they did not know, how could we?. Next day we asked again about the car only to discover that they had given away our car (they said they were looking for us the day before, that is, the day we arrived and had told them we would be in our room, no one called, and the only time we went out we passed by the reception to ask about the car again...) and that now they could only offer us one at double the price... By the way, it took us about an hour to get the new car.

- My husband is afraid of flying so arriving to the airport with plenty of time to relax is crucial to us, the more relaxed he is prior to taking a plane, the better. We told at the reception two days in advance that we would require transportation to the airport on the day of our departure. We wrote a note stating our flight details and the time we would like to arrive at the airport and gave it to the lady at the reception. Next day, a sheet of paper was delivered to our room asking us again about the flight details (we had left them, in writing, the day before). Finally the day of the departure they tell us they will be taking us at 11:40am to the airport. We arrive a couple of minutes before, wait for approximately 20 minutes (my husband is already getting nervous and this is not good) and then the manager of the hotel comes strolling out as if we had not been waiting for 20 min and asks "So, are you ready?". At this poing I lost it and I answered that of course we were ready, we had been since 11:40 and were waiting outside the hotel under the sun for almost 20 minutes. He turns to me and says "What do you mean under the sun, you are in the hotel". I could not take it anymore, it was not only the lack of respect for our time, the clear disregard of our wishes to arrive by a certain time to the airport, the fact that at no point we received an apology aobut the behaviour but only an arrogant attitute to exeem them from their responsability, so I just told him to please shut up and then he began shouting at me and scolded me saying this was not like Brazil or wherever (I must look Brazilian apparently because my skin tone is tanned... so there goes as well a racist comment) and that he knows what he was doing and we would arrive on time to our flight. I started crying. What the manager (the person supposed to run the hotel!!!!!!!) never got was that this had nothing to do with missing the flight or not, it had to do with the fact that we explained several times why we wanted to arrive at a certain time (because of my husband's panic to flying), that they completely ignored our wishes, and that on top of it they acted as if everything they did was fine.

I know I should not have gotten angry, specially when the staff's attitude clearly lets you know that they do not think they have done anything wrong whatsoever and that they clearly do not care a bit about their guests (obviously under this context it is my mistake to expect an apology from anyone), but I have travelled around the world and nowhere had I been shouted at by a member of the staff, the manager of them all! And I never got an apology (even when my husband apologized and try to explain that we were sure he knew what he was doing but that we wanted to arrive very early because he is afraid of flying - he cut him off and did not let him speak), not even after he had made me cried, never. I certainly lack the experience to run a hotel, but rule number one of the service industry (at least in my opinion) is to try to fulfill the client's wishes. At this hotel, nothing is their fault, if something goes wrong, it is the guest's fault, do not expect anyone to be concerned and least of all an apology.

Just to add one more detail about the airport transportation experince, at the time of the reservation we received a written confirmation from the hotel that this was a complimentary service. However, at the time of check-out it was billed to us. When we asked about it they simply said they could not offer this service for free anymore.

The hotel in general is nice, but nothing out of the ordinary, and clearly short of a 5-star service. For example, a lighbulb in our room stopped working the day we arrived and no one changed it while we were there (we stayed three nights). A man did come the day before we left at 8pm to say he would come back later to change it though, hope he eventually did... Again, staff is really nice (except for the manager) but what you say to them enters through one ear and exits through the other. In summary, please do not spend your money at this hotel, it is really not worth it, and if you do, be prepared for things not to work as you ask, be prepared for the staff to decide what is best for you, and just accept whatever they give you, as you will not be able to complain (you will only receive excuses as they clearly do not thing they do anything wrong), receive an apology or at least an acknowledgment that they should improve their service.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Gilda987
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I would like to express my feelings to the great royal Mkonoyan & spa
Can't tell how happy we were it's an extraordinary service atmosphere, professional ,they have brought us back from last year holiday ., definitely we are coming back because of that great hospitality

Stayed August 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just returned from a 2 week stay at this hotel. It was amazing. The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and ensure your stay is memorable.

The setting is truly breath taking and the food was amazing.

The shuttle service to Mykonos town was very good and always on time. It is a bit unfortunate that the last coach is at 12.30 but I am sure the hotel would organise transport if asked

The rooms were delightful with a fantastic twice daily maid service

The facilities at the hotel are great with a gym and spa.

The pools and beach were lovely with great service at the pool ( didn't stay long enough at beach to experience service there but I understand it is great too!) the swim up bar was lovely at the end of a hard day by the pool

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone who was intending to travel to Mykonos.

We will definitely be returning very soon

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alw662013
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Very nice experience and amazing view from the swimming pool ! Perhaps one of the greatest swimming pools worldwide,
The rooms clean , big and the breakfast excellent,
It is a good choice for Myconos, if you want to stay in a luxury hotel,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
      Location
2 Thank IOANNIS B
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

All of the properties set in the hill side by Elia Beach are owned by the Myconian Collection. The benefit is that you're free to use the facilities of the other hotels. We far preferred the pool area and veranda restaurant at the Imperial, so would spend the day there. The downside is that the group has a monopoly on Elia and you're forced to buy everything from the hotels. There is no shop or even kiosk in Elia, meaning that water, coffee etc. has to be bought from the hotel bars - obviously at significant mark up. This aside, the position of the Royal Myconian makes for fantastic views. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the evening we arrived. The food was clearly a Greek interpretation of fine dining with overwrought dishes, while the dining room felt dated. Given that there was a baby grand piano in position, the decision to play electronic keyboard music was bizarre. The lobby bar was pleasant for after dinner drinks; the barman makes a good Martini. We went to breakfast a couple of times but it felt a bit like a mass feeding frenzy. While Elia Beach is beautiful, we thought it was ruined by overcrowding. The hotels cram rows upon rows of sunbeds, which makes the whole experience chaotic and far from relaxing. Our room was more basic than we'd been expecting. The bathroom needed updating but the maid service was excellent and the whole hotel very clean. The shuttle service to and from Chora was extremely useful, since its a good 20 minute drive from Elia. The last coach from the town leaves at 12.30am, we would have loved a slightly later departure. On the couple of occasions we missed the coach and decided to stay out, we had nightmarish times trying to locate taxis. There is a total scarcity of taxis on the island, something we've never experienced in Greece before. The best restaurant in Chora is M-Eating, but for simple Greek food we loved Eva's Garden. Overall an enjoyable break, but we didn't think the Royal Myconian quite lived up to its reputation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank SophieandCharlie
myconiancollection, General Manager at Royal Myconian Resort & Thalasso Spa Center, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Sophie and Charlie,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to express your comments online.

Concerning your comments about the monopoly kindly note that there are also available bars and restaurant on Elia beach among with a mini market.
As far as it concerns the overcrowded Elia beach please have in mind that Elia beach is one of the most famous beaches on Mykonos island and during the summer season when the occupancy of the island reaches 100% it is crowded.
As a hotel we maintain our private section on Elia beach in which access is allowed only to our guests.

Concerning the restaurant and the hotel's decoration we would like to inform you that Royal Myconian Resort features traditional Cycladic decoration, although we have planned a renovation for the forthcoming winter.

We would also to thank you for your comments for our housekeeping department and rest assured that I will personally congratulate them for their efficient work.

We look forward to welcome you once again in our resort and have the opportunity to offer you even better memories and experiences.

Best Regards,

Ioaanis Stefanidis
Deputy General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elia
Myconian Villa Collection
Myconian Imperial Hotel & Thalasso Centre
Myconian Ambassador Relais & Chateaux Hotel
Rocabella Mykonos Art Hotel & SPA
Myconian Utopia Relais & Chateaux Resort
Mykonos Princess Hotel
Mykonos Princess Hotel
#2 of 10 in Agios Stefanos

Been to Royal Myconian Resort & Thalasso Spa Center? Share your experiences!