“Dirty! Bad management! Pool always closed”

GrandStay Hotel & Suites Madelia
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Madelia
Tower, Minnesota
“Dirty! Bad management! Pool always closed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Beds were dirty tub was dirty pool closed not cool decided to have a few beers with friends in hotel lobby. After a few hours 2 of us were sitting there and the front deck lady told us to we needed to stop with some swearing not a big deal she also over heard us talking about our stay and how bad it was 10 min. Later she told us we had to be out at 8am sad no warning no nothing. Also hard to understand management speaking no English Not a great stay find a different place!!!!!!

Stayed March 2014
MadeliaHotel, Owner at GrandStay Hotel & Suites Madelia, responded to this review, 19 May 2015
LD6015, As the new owner of the hotel, I am very sorry for what you experienced during your last stay. We have a new management team in place (complete new staff) who understands and takes pride in providing quality accommodation and positive experience for your each stay with us.

We are an AmericInn built, quality branded hotel providing accommodation at almost half the price of competition. The rooms are being re-modeled with new LED TV sets, and new decor/linen etc. It will take time to re-model all 42 rooms but we have to start somewhere - one room at a time! The entire hotel has been deep cleaned and carpets shampoo'd. We will be happy to show you the invoices if you don't believe.

We have implemented an enhanced, HEALTHY MENU OF BREAKFAST ITEMS. We are open 24/7. Ofcourse the doors are locked after 11pm for security reasons but staff is always inside to check you in.

Previous manager and her team has been fired for lack of responsiveness causing some bad reviews.

Internet service has been improved so the ENTIRE HOTEL IS NOW HIGH SPEED WI-FI at over 25Mbps speeds. You can stream movies at this speed in your room.

The Pool was a problem with the past management and has since been fixed. Repairs are often necessary and we close the pool when water chemistry requires to be balanced.

We invite you to come back and experience the hotel and are offering you 50% OFF YOUR NEXT NIGHT with us. Past is past, we can't fix it but we can work together to experience a new future together.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I hope you would be able to put positive comments back to instill confidence in our future guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Maple Grove, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

My husband and I go pheasant hunting every opening season and this year decided to explore the Madelia area. I called the Madelia Hotel to make a reservation and asked if they accepted dogs. I was told the dog was welcome but we may have to pay an extra fee (which was expected). We packed up drove the two hours to Madelia to check into our hotel, but were turned away at the desk when I mentioned the dog (who happens to be a service dog). I explained that I had called ahead to check if they were pet friendly before making the reservation, but still we were not allowed to have a room. We drove the two hours home and next time will spend our money elsewhere. Terrible service and possibly illegal.

Room Tip: If you travel with a pet don't book at this hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Barb W
Barb W, As the new owner of the hotel, I am very sorry for what you experienced during your last visit. We have a new management team in place (complete new staff) who understands and takes pride in providing quality accommodation and positive experience for your each stay with us.

We have selected rooms where pets are allowed for a nominal pet fee so we look forward to welcoming you for your next visit to the area and will discount the room 50% OFF.

Previous manager and her team has been fired for lack of responsiveness causing such bad reviews.

We invite you to come back and experience the hotel and are offering you a 50% OFF YOUR NEXT NIGHT with us. Past is past, we can't fix it but we can work together to experience a new future together.

Travellers are raving about these Madelia hotels

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

we enjoyed our short stop over at the madelia....a quiet room, friendly staff and a nice variety for breakfast in the lobby. It is easily accessible from the highway and even though we arrived late and left early in the morning the staff was available and friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Wahoo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

My husband, kids, and I have stayed here several times, both as an AmericInn and as Madelia Hotel and Suites. We have stayed in a jacuzzi room, a suite, king singles, queen doubles. Every room has always been clean. Some rooms were previously smoking rooms and the smell still lingers, but it is bearable and diminishing. It is easy to find and to get to. The breakfast is the usual sort with waffles, cereals, yogurt, fruit, milk, juice, coffee, etc. - nothing spectacular, but an adequate breakfast. My kids always love the pool, but sometimes the hot tub is not working. Internet service is through ethernet cable in the rooms and it works great. The refrigerators in the rooms are a wonderful amenity. The temperature is always perfect because we get to set it, but the unit can be a bit loud. The absolute best part of the facility, though, is the customer service. The employees are always so friendly and helpful both on the phone and at the desk. They always make sure we have everything we need and have smiles on their faces.

Room Tip: On occasion there will be an event in or near the pool/lobby so if you want to ensure a quiet room...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Fremont, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

Walked in and felt like I was at the AmericInn I stayed in Stuart, IA. Knew it was going to work out for a few days while working in the area. Room was clean, AC and Heat worked, bed and pillows were comfortable. Pool was open, but I did not use it.

I really liked being able use the Anytime Fitness that was just down the road since there wasn't a gym facility in the hotel. They give you a access card at the front desk, as needed, to get into the Anytime Fitness. It was also a clean workout facility with TVs and the remotes to change channels.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark T
Valle d'Aosta, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

Madelia Hotel is a very pleasant and cute hotel. Traveling from NYC and having stopped in motels that were as expensive as Madelia, it was a nice surprise to arrive to such a cute place. My room had a whirlpool, which was another nice surprise! Only reason I don't give 5 starts is because the web advertised they are pet friendly but in fact they are not and haven't updated their website. I got there late after a 9h drive my with my dog and, fortunately, the person at the front desk was very nice and let me stay anyway.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

Spent 2 nights in a King size bed, whirlpool suite. The room was huge and even though I was the single occupant, I appreciated all the space. The whirlpool was very nice. Room was clean and quiet. I do think the bed linens need an upgrade though as the blanket was super thin. Needed an ethernet cable from the front desk for the internet but once on line, it was really fast. Breakfast was sparse but all the basics were there. Very friendly and helpful staff. Easy access just off the highway. Nice cozy lobby for hanging out and very nice pool area. I was there for a conference and got a super good rate ! Would stay there again for sure.

Room Tip: Whirlpool is in room 111. Big room, lots of space.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gnittat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madelia
BEST WESTERN PLUS New Ulm
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mankato Hotel and Conference Center
Courtyard Mankato
Courtyard Mankato
#1 of 16 in Mankato

Been to GrandStay Hotel & Suites Madelia? Share your experiences!