“My favorite place to eat ~ up north!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach Lodge
Rochester, Minnesota
“My favorite place to eat ~ up north!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

Manhattan Beach is my favorite place to eat when I come up north to my parents cabin. I always ask to go there, and love sitting outside. We had reservations to sit outside, and the friendly host and hostess sat us immediately. Waters and menus were already set out for us. Our server Clare greeted us immediately. What a friendly and genuine server! I am and have been a server/bartender for about half my life, and she did everything perfectly. And she always had a smile on her face and really seemed like she cared about the quality of our dining experience. The food is always good, but everything was cooked just perfectly. My parents both love the wedge salad which they both ordered and I had a wonderful Caesar. For our entrees, I had a rib-eye, my mom had lamb, and my dad had the pork shank. Everything was so delicious and we raved about our meals all night.

We love Manhattan Beach and will be back for years to come. Thank you to Clare, the cooks, the hosts and everyone who made our night so special.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Molly R

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Super nice place to spend a summer weekend

Great location w perfect sunset view over the lake. Great food and nice outdoor patio for dining. This is a quaint place which we really enjoyed

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank RedShark_8
Maple Plain, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

Enjoyed our 3 night stay at this historic, but rustically renovated lodge. We were looking to rent a VRBO, but right before we booked we saw a great daily deal for this lodge. We had eaten at the restaurant before and enjoyed the experience, so were excited to stay.

We stayed in a min-suite - king bed w/creatively decorative dvider between small lounge/kitchenette area (microwave, fridge, counter and sink w/small log table and 2 chairs). Looked just like pictured on webiste - only nicer. Lounge area had comfy sofa and fireplace plenty of room for hubby and I. Room was cleaned daily - which was a perk vs a VRBO. We were able to dock our pontoon out front all 3 days - plenty of room. Launch was only 1 block away, so was easy to get to this resort (which is nice to know, because public launches on this chain are few and lake route to your lodging can be long....as we previously discovered.) Staff was friendly and sunsets beautiful. Great patio area - dining was good, but a little spendy. Definitely would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Southshore4
Shell Lake, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

visited early last fall with a friend, had a great lakeside view, large room with fridge, sink, microwave, etc. the food in the dining room was very good and they had a nice variety of options, beverages from the bar were also well done. Service from everyone was very cordial. Nice relaxing weekend... sad to read Bre L.'s revue, though... hope management has read it because it is something that needs to be addressed

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris O
Bloomington, Minnesota, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

We stayed in room 124. Oversized suite with fireplace, whirlpool tub, and deck. It was very nice and we had a great time. We dined in our room and the restaurant. The food was great and our server was very fun! Our room was nice and the bed very comfortable. Parts of the hotel are showing their age. Our room had a tub but no shower head? The TV was old and small. A Flat screen would update it nicely.

The bar is lively and perfect for cocktails. We took a trip to Walker, MN and had a great drive with scenic views. This place is not 5 star but perfect for a MN lake getaway. We would and will go back.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank DSWeimar
Twin Cities
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to Manhattan Beach Lodge for our two-year anniversary. I was thrilled and couldn’t wait for a winter wonderland weekend. Sadly Mother Nature didn’t play into the fun seeing as there has been no snow here in Minnesota all through December and into January, but the trip was already booked, so we headed up there this past weekend. What a thought-provoking experience, the lodge claimed that we would have a fireplace king suite except for the fact that the fireplace didn’t work! The room’s temperature was horrible! We could never get the room at a comfortable level because the gauge to the thermostat was also broken. In addition we we’re on the lower level which is fine if it hadn’t been right directly in front of the stairs so throughout the stay we could hear people coming and going. Also, there weren’t that many guests present so how ironic that we happened to get a family directly placed above us. The insulation needs to be updated because every time someone walked around upstairs it was very disturbing because you felt like they were going to fall through and that made it difficult to rest peacefully. Likewise, we we’re quite astonished with the service at the restaurant attached to the lodge. We had been given a voucher for dinner during check-in and decided to use it that following night. The service was ok, we enjoyed the food and tipped our waitress at 30% mind you but once she collected her earnings we were useless to her. She never returned to our table to check up & see if we needed anything else additionally or even gave us a thank you for our generous tip. Regardless, because the food was so wonderful we thought we would try eating there the next night. Wrong idea! Once we arrived we were disregarded almost immediately by Doreen Gallaway-the head of the wait staff. She tried to make a scene but we read her energy as soon as we stepped in the door and by that I tell you, she made it quite clear blacks were unwelcome. That woman needs a lesson in racial competence, she was extremely rude and clearly based on our interaction with her, has serious issues with cultural acceptance; Looking down on us because we were a biracial couple as well of the fact that I’m a woman of color. She also tried embarrassing us in front of everyone by making a scene because we had a preference of where we wanted to sit for dinner and started berating her waitress right in front of us-unprofessional, quite unnecessary and classless is how I would some up her personality. Funny some people are still so ignorant, Doreen Gallaway is an illustration of someone who see’s color vividly and anyone with differences should be looked down upon and less than because they aren’t white. For that reason alone I would give this lodge a poor rating because if they are willing to staff individuals who have serious identity issues and discriminate their guests based on their racial or cultural backgrounds, I think that shows the integrity of this establishment. Needless to say, we will not be visiting that location again and if you’re expecting a romantic getaway and you’re a person of color, or in a bi-racial relationship, be prepared to be mistreated and disregarded by low-grade, uneducated, country bumpkins who haven’t realized that it’s 2012 and times have changed.

Room Tip: Don't get any king fireplace suite
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Bre L
brunkhorst, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Lodge, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Ms. Bre L
I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay at Manhattan Beach Lodge. I'm very concerned about your experience you had with our staff. Our facility is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Because our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. The staff member that you encountered is no longer employed here. My hope that you will not place judgment on over 90 staff member who work very hard to make each of our guest stays memorable. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated. We take pride in our lodge, and we do our best to prevent problems from recurring. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Kista Brunkhorst, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Manhattan Beach hotels

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Manhattan Beach lodge for a romantic fall weekend away. The lodge is quaint, cozy, quiet and inviting. It is smaller than we thought with only 18 rooms, all with great views facing the lake. We liked our room with the log furniture and corner fireplace. The room was nothing fancy, but it was cozy and plenty spacious. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean.
We were disappointed with the restaurant. The food was pricy and we didn't feel the quality and selection justified the price. Also, as a vegetarian, I would not eat here again as there were very few options.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Good Ol' Days Family Resort
Boyd Lodge
Boyd Lodge
#2 of 4 in Crosslake

Been to Manhattan Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!