“Great Deal Using LivingSocial Special” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Manhattan Beach Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach Lodge
Duluth, Minnesota
“Great Deal Using LivingSocial Special”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

LivingSocial currently has a great deal for staying at this lodge. $109 to stay 2 nights (Sunday and Monday). Cost includes bottle of wine, continental breakfast and $25 gift certificate to the lodge's restaurant. I typically do not pay for lodging at the full prices listed for this lodge. This is a historic lodge which has been renovated. All rooms face Big Trout Lake. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The housekeepers and restaurant staff were very friendly and accomodating. The only complaint I have is that the front desk was not always available when we needed assistance. Perhaps the lodge should think about having a phone at the front desk for customers to call when the front desk staff is unavailable.

Room Tip: The mini suite is very roomy and nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kim H

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

We'e been going to eat and drink at Manhattan Beach for years, but the service has hit an all-time low, and we will no longer return. We wanted to sit on the patio, recently, and we were told by the very unfriendly reservation staff person to wait and we'd be seated. No smile, no greeting, no hospitality. We looked at the patio and only three of the 10 tables were filled, with noone else waiting. We asked the staff person if we could be seated at a table with an umbrella for shade. Ten minutes later we were told to follow her and she led us to the only table with no umbrella, directly in the sun. She explained lamely that people staying at the hotel had first dibs on tables. We replied that noone else seemed to be coming. No reply from restaurant grouch. We left. This is typical of this hotel's service. The view is great, the staff lacks courtesy.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ktomsky
whitefishproperties, Guest Relations Manager at Manhattan Beach Lodge, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
I would first like to apologize for your recent experience at Manhattan’s. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make everyone’s experience a satisfying one. The principal goal at Manhattan’s is to provide great food and service to all of our guests and we encourage all of our patrons to make reservations for dining whether on the patio or inside. Please accept my sincere apology. I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve.

Travellers are raving about these Manhattan Beach hotels

Minesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

This is one hotel that although it was fairly clean, the hotel staff had a whole new way of handeling customers. The biggest problem is the front desk staff. Although we had called the week before and changed our arrival date the girl who talked to us on the phone entered us for two rooms on the same night but NOT on the night we were to arrive.
The next morning I walked to the front desk and asked of it would be okay to stay in our room rather than being moved to a suite which was the plan. She said ok and I left it at that. Coming back from lunch on the hotel patio we entered our room to find everything gone. After getting everything back the girl at the front desk denied having said ok that morning. I have had hotel staff lie to me before, no suprise there, but I have NEVER had my personal belongings moved by housekeeping. The best I can say is beware of the front desk staff. They seemed more intent on socializing than taking care of the guests. After all of this I never ONCE heard from the hotel manager.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GeneMinn
I would first like to apologize for how your stay was handled at Manhattan Beach Lodge. We accommodate many people nightly and our intention is to provide them with a comfortable and enjoyable stay. We have spoken to the staff members involved and found there was a miscommunication between the departments involved. Again we would like to apologize for how your stay was handled and hope that you will give us another chance in the future.
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

My large extended family recently spent a lovely afternoon on the patio at Manhattan Beach. The musical entertainment was fun and the view / ambiance can't be beat! It was great to be able to take the kids down to the beach to wade in the water and skip rocks. The food was excellent and there were several unique choices. My aunt particularly enjoyed the Boursin Burger and the Loaded Bloody Mary's were a big hit! I wouldn't hesitate to come here again for a meal, especially on a gorgeous day!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michele R
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

I stayed here 4 nights with my wife and toddler son mid-July 2012. We bought a daily deal promotional coupon that saved us quite a bit on the room. While the deal was for a queen room, we upgraded to a king mini suite for around $100. Our 4 night stay was a bit over $400.

My first impression of the room was pretty good. It was spacious and the sleeping area and living room were partially divided by the kitchenette wall. We brought our own food to do in-room meals and had plenty of space for everything. There was also room for our son's pack and play crib. The living room furniture was a bit dated, but comfortable. The king bed was also comfortable. There was a deck off the living room with steps down to the lawn & beach. The view from the room was great. We didn't use the TVs, so I won't comment other than to say they weren't the latest & greatest.

After a bit of time in the room, I began to notice some flaws. First, the carpet & rug were stained in spots. I also noticed the edges of the carpet where it meets the wall needed vacuuming. I found food crumbs, a press on nail and other debris. There were also spots on some of the walls. We didn't have a service room/do not disturb card to put in the key slot, so I had to request extra towels and toilet paper after our first night. After we got the card, our room was adequately serviced, though we ran out of toilet paper again. Every time we needed something the staff was friendly and accommodating.

The complimentary breakfast was nice to have. There were a few cereals, bagels, English muffins, mini muffins, decent coffee, apples, bananas, oranges, yogurt, orange & cranberry juice and milk. One day the key for the yogurt/milk/juice fridge was missing (a staff member took it home), so we had to make do without. You could eat inside or take your food outside. The immediate space only has two tables, but there is an adjacent room with several more tables that they will open for you if you ask.

The remainder of the hotel is also nice. The grounds are well landscaped and maintained. If you have a boat or jet ski, there is plenty of dock space for it and the public landing is very close. The shore line is basically dominated by the docks, which is a negative in my opinion. Even the small beach/swim space without a dock had various water craft parked or anchored in it. You can swim though, and the lake is clear and clean. The beach and grounds were somewhat dirty. Smoking is permitted on the grounds so there were cigarette butts in the sand & grass. There were also drink cups & bottles left by the lawn chairs from the previous day. The view of the lake and sunsets is spectacular. I also fished from the dock with a bit of luck, and my niece caught her first fish, which was a thrill for her.

We dined twice at the restaurant, once indoors and once on the patio. Both were very good experiences. The food was delicious and the service was friendly and prompt. I had read some reviews of spotty-at-best service, but we did not have that problem. We did arrive early for our meals though, so it wasn't too busy when we ate. When we ate outside, I noticed several boaters arrive at the dock and walk up and seat themselves on the patio. Reservations are recommended most nights, so they didn't get service until they realized they weren't supposed to be seated there and went inside to see the host.

Upon checkout, my bill seemed higher than what I thought it should be. I asked for an itemized list of charges and found that someone had charged a $70 meal to my room. Whether on purpose or by accident, it definitely paid to question the bill. The person at the desk removed the charge without hesitation.

Overall, I rate the place average. With some attention to detail (housekeeping) and a few upgrades (furniture, TVs), it could be very good. I don't know that I would pay full price to stay here again. With the daily deal it was definitely worth the price.

Room Tip: All rooms face the lake. If you want a quieter room, get one upstairs--and please, don't walk ar...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank turno77
Eagan, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

We decided to take a spur of the moment trip up north .I went on line to look for a deal came across their web page, super easy reservation for same day stay. I was pleasantly surprised with the lodge, friendly staff, the view of the lake , My husband and I sat on the beach at night and they came down started the fire for us .It was really nice. The only downfall was the room kinda smelt like a wet dog. But the windows opened and it was fine, will go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jean d
Fargo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

Not what I expected. I have stayed at the other resort that is partner with this one and it was wonderful. I understand that this resort is much older, just seems like opposite management. Our room was ok, nice lakeside view, fairly clean. The air conditioner was leaking water, so carpet was very wet, seems like it could have been that way for awhile. Breakfast, if you can even call it that was terrible! Old apples and oranges, muffins and bagels, cold cereal. I wanted just a piece of toast, none, and had to wait until 8:00 for that! Sauna was great, hot tub was cold. Grounds by lake were filthy. Garbage all over, even in lake. I would highly recommend other resort they own.

• Stayed July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
Whitefish Lodge and Suites
Pine Peaks Lodge and Suites
Good Ol' Days Family Resort

Been to Manhattan Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!