Manhattan Beach Lodge
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Had an occasion to dine at the restaurant at Manhattan Beach Resort! OMG what a great meal. The calamari and shrimp appetizer was superb, not too much breading and good quality squid and shrimp. I thought I'd be adventurous and order the Ahi Tuna- seared rare. It was fabulous. My wife had the walleye, also excellent! Good wine selection too. The new management and staff are learning quickly and customer service has taken huge leaps towards the "excellent" side of the scale. Someone is doing a great job of training! Much improved from last year. A "must" stop for dinner if you are in the area or staying at the resort. Next time I'll get a room!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 October 2008

Mt husband and I needed a break and our German Shorthair dog needed to learn about hunting. We arrived at Manhatten Beach around 3:00 in the afternoon and the room we were given was wonderful. The weather was great and it was beautiful looking out at the water. We went to the Retaurant and had the Prime Rib Special Prime Ribs. IT WAS OUTSTANDING. WE HAVE NEVER HAD A PRIME RIB DINNER THAT GOOD. My husband got up early and took Jack hunting, while I stayed and relaxed and had the buffet breakfast. It was a very relaxing break and I hope we can do it again soon. If you need a getaway for a day or tow I highly suggest you stay at Manhatten Beach. Joe and Roxanne Shun

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Our room on the first floor had stained carpet, the walls are marked up, and the blinds were broken. Also the water was yellow and smelled and tasted horrible. The person at the front desk when we checked out said they have a rust problem which makes the water that way.
The lawn out back was covered with lawn toys left out for three days and there was a giant hole in the ground that someone easily could have not seen and fell into. There was a food cart parked by the back of the hotel for 3 days with old moldy buns on it. We never saw any employees cleaning up anything or picking up the property.
The outdoor patio was covered in dirt and there was garbage littered around it in the landscaping. Empty drinks and bottles were sitting around the property as well.
The Sunday brunch had a poor selection of items, most of them were gone and we had to wait for to refills.

The good thing about this property is the location. The lake is beautiful and the sunsets are awesome. Also they have new tv's in the rooms with a nice selection of channels.
And the bloody mary bar at brunch is very good.

I stayed at this hotel with my parents who had been there every year for 10 years. They are considering not ever going back after this year. I would expect this type of hotel that charges $150+ per night to have WAY better standards. If they are not going to keep up the place then they need to lower the rates.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We've stayed at this resort on two other occasions, but this is the first time since the new management took over.

There is nothing that even remotely passes for customer service at this lodge. And it is not a cheap place to stay.

The front desk person had zero personality. She did not welcome us when we arrived; gave us bad information about the continental breakfast (said it was every day but Sunday, but there is no breakfast on Mondays); couldn't find the reservation book when we wanted to reserve a table for Sunday dinner (then asked us to come back instead of taking the information and putting it in the book later).

Our room had a broken toilet seat lid, which just came off in my hands the first time I lifted it. The room only had one glass and three styrofoam cups for our entire 3-night stay. These were never replaced. A white bag trash full of bottles and cups was at the foot of our deck when we arrived on Friday, and it was still there when we left on Monday. Obviously no one is walking the property at least once a day to look for unsafe or unsavory things (lots of cigaret butts in the grass, empty glass bottles and plastic cups on the lakeside deck "the morning after").

The call from my room to the "restaurant" button on my phone, after 20 rings, was answered "kitchen". The person who answered did not know when the Sunday brunch began and had to check with someone "9:30 <click>".

As the final insult, no one was at the front desk when we checked out at 7:50am. The phone marked "call x203 for help" had no dialtone until I jiggled the cord. 2 phone calls with 35 rings each brought no response. Finally we just left.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I recently visited Manhattan Beach over the July 4th weekend. I have been there many times before by boat for dinner and drinks and the service was ok. I figured with a big holiday weekend the lodge would be better prepared for the number of people and would have specials for guests, etc. Tim Mahoney was playing that evening and we arrived early for dinner and drinks. We walked into the bar area at 8:30 and did not get any service for a half hour, not one person approached us. After that time we finally walked up to the bar to order drinks and some appetizers for dinner and were told the kitchen closed at 9pm and the drinks were $6.00 for a small house margarita. I could not believe the kitchen closed at 9pm on a holiday weekend and we never had a waiter/waitress help us the entire night. We had to go to the bar for drinks and were then told after being there for an hour and a half that we had to either pay $10 to stay at the bar since Tim Mahoney was playing or leave. That was extremely tacky since we were there before the band even showed up. The lodge is VERY unprofessional, the service is terrible and my family who has gone there for years will never return. I cannot imagine how guests feel at this place. Another side note, every glass of wine we received was FILTHY. There was lipstick still on the glass when served and we saw the bartender go through six glasses before one was clean. Completely disgusting...

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank ricachica3466
Reviewed 1 August 2007

The Manhattan Beach Lodge should change its name to Manhattan Beach Restaurant and Lodge; that is the impression I came away with after my recent visit. It seems as though the new owners have more knowledge and desire at making the restaurant the best in the area and have forgotten the small things that make the Lodge attractive as well.
A few examples from my trip:
1. The Lodge office or "front desk" did not keep the open times it had stated on the information card given to me at check-in. Open until 9pm??? not even close to those times.

2. The restaurant was so busy with restaurant goers who boated in that there were not any dock spaces left for our boat when we returned to the Lodge in the evening on Friday/Saturday.

3. The main door from the Lodge to the back/dock area had a broken handle---for a busy summer weekend I think a maintence person should have been called immediately to fix it instead of having the guests walk around the entire building to get to the other side--your choice of the kitchen garbage area or the practically impassable other side of the building because of a fallen tree; or of course we were told we could walk through the restaurant but I didn't really feel comfortable hauling my fishing/boat gear through the busy restaurant. (Again, restaurant is first in their minds)

4. The comfort and respect of the Lodge guests did not outweigh the possible money brought in on a nightly basis from the restaurant. Despite the request on the information card given out at check-in asking for QUIET TIME from 11pm-8am of the guests both Friday & Saturday the restaurant/bar patio was going good and strong even at 12:30am. With the window closed and the air conditioning on high the loud talking and yelling could be heard in the room....the staff even made a point the next day to brag about the evening breaking all kinds of income records for the restaurant. Again the restaurant ahead of the Lodge guests.

I think if they just put a little effort into the guests of the Lodge it will turn around and be a plesant place to stay; but until that time I will not be staying there since there are so many other resorts in the area.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Addy_May
Reviewed 27 June 2006

We had stayed at Manhatten lodge for the first time since new ownership, last summer. I have to say what a disappointment it had become. upon arriving guests were checking out complaining and wanted a discount because of air conditioning problems and no toliet paper in there cabin. It should of been a red flag right there. We had our boat broken into and alot of damage was done right in front of our unit.we lost over 400.00 dollars in stereo and CDs. Went and reported to the owner. and he accused us to the theft. paying over 200.00 dallors a night to stay there that was not a way of showing minnesota nice to good paying customers.
who just had there vacation ruined. The owners did not even feel bad about what damage was done to our boat. We have stayed at many of the resorts in brainerd and would recommend all other resorts in area, they went out of there way to make vacations with family great.

5  Thank raradedo
mblodge, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2006

I was working our Front Desk the day these guests checked out. We offered to call the local police for them and report the incident, yet they did not want that done. They accused my employees of the theft, with no proof. They then refused to pay for their stay and wanted us to reimburse them for their loss, which we could not do. Our public docks experience a huge amount of traffic during the summer, and yet this is the only incident like this I have encountered here since I started managing the property in 1998. Of course we apologized, but public docks are like a public parking lot - if you leave valuables in your vehicle and do not lock the vehicle or secure the valuables you assume a risk yourselves.

Been to Manhattan Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!