“Enjoyed lunch for the most part”

Bonfire Wood Fire Cooking
Reserve with OpenTable
Bonfire Wood Fire Cooking is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 150 Restaurants in Mankato
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Hit Bonfire in Mankato for a spontaneous Saturday lunch with my college-aged daughter who doesn't get to eat out at sit-down restaurant very often other than Chipotle or Tav-on-the-Ave. I live in the Cities and have had good food at Axels in Chanhassen and St. Paul, but didn't realize that Bonfire has a different menu than Axels. Was hoping for the wonderful crab salad from Axel's, but it wasn't on the menu here. Instead, we both had the shrimp and guacamole stack served with chips. The shrimp was perfectly blackened and seasoned with a nice kick, though there weren't many of them. The guac and salsa were a very good complement to the shrimp - a little on the soupy side, but delicious. The chips were clearly store bought and not remarkable. We both ordered the dish without the chipotle sour cream which just adds calories and masks the other flavors - good decision. Service was friendly but we chuckled at the inexperience - when one of us asked for water (should we really need to ask?), the young gal brought just one without asking or assuming that we'd both want water, especially since we ordered the same dish. Oh well, one star off for awkward service, but the rest was fine. Would definitely return.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The service was very slow. I liked the ambiance, it was great to be able to carry on a conversation. The food was decent but overpriced for the quality. I probably wouldn't return.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Service was slow. The appetizer was okay it was like fish strips but my son had a pickle spear on his plate that I was about to eat. When he yelled at me to stop because there was a gross long hair on it.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The minute you walk into this restaurant, you want to try something cooked over a real wood fire. I ordered the Chicken Quesadilla and the crispy tortilla shell had that tasty wood-fired aroma and flavor. I've had other meals here and they're all great. The wait staff have always been very attentive and friendly. Will return many times again!

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We ordered four apps as our meal, and our son ordered a steak. All were very good. Server Meaghan was great. Ambiance was something less than formal, but more than shorts. We will return.