“A step back in time”

Wagon Wheel Cafe
Ranked #17 of 151 Restaurants in Mankato
Price range: US$3 - US$15
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The Wagon Wheel Cafe has been a Mankato staple for over 65 years. It has recently reopened with new management. It is a casual diner with low prices. This is a great place to take the family out to eat and not break the bank.
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My friend and I went on a road trip and ate only where the locals told us to go. We were very happy that we stopped at the Wagon Wheel Cafe. The food was excellent, try the potato salad and the price was perfect.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I grew up in Mankato and remember eating here. After many years ,I came back for a visit and this was on the agenda for breakfast.Nothing has changed ,the atmosphere and surroundings took me back to when I was a little girl. The food is good especially the smoked maple sausage links. Service and food was great!

Reviewed 15 June 2013

This is a favorite of many locals but I never understood why other than the price. It is one of the cheapest places in town. The seats are ripped, the food is terrible, the service is slow, spacing is crowded, and the atmosphere is decades old. There are so many excellent choices in Mankato that it would be a shame to let this one make it to the top of your choices list.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Great place for Breakfast or Lunch as it closes at 4:00pm. Good service, good healthy food, prompt service and reasonably sized portions. As part of the experience to step back in the past, they do not accept credit cards, only cash or checks. Most of the decoration is based on the TWINS (baseball team). Also a book "Wagon Wheel Project" is available and has black and white pictures and stories about their frequent customers.

1  Thank Maravalj
Reviewed 29 March 2013

My title says it all, I was raised in a family that had a place like this and a few years ago the owner reminded me of my grandfather- my grandfather passed many years ago and the old owner is not around now but the vibe is still there. There are too few of these places left anymore. Just an old family diner with great rhubarb pie. You get a free 6 oz soda with a special- Bloomberg would be proud. Nothing fancy but the honesty shines through.