“terrible service” 2 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly
Maple Grove, Minnesota
“terrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

This restaurant attracts people because of all-you-can-eat sushi but if you're looking for quality and service, this is NOT the place you want to go to. First off if you like sashimi (raw fish) you want them to be fresh otherwise you might get sick. When we ordered salmon sashimi which is pretty common, it was frozen!!!! I mean I don't expect it to be excellent quality since it's all-you-can-eat but it should at least be thawed out before serving it to the customers! Then off to the worst part, service. No smiles, minimum interaction with customers (try to avoid you so you can't order more even though it's all-you-can-it), LONG wait time for your food (restaurant was NOT busy), and here's the absolute worst--- the waitress Mindy included a $20 tip (that was taxed as well) because we had a small party of 5 and we've been there with 5 people before NEVER once had we been charged the extra $20 and after we asked why she did that she got emotional and threatened us to NEVER sit at her table again. (we didn't ask to be seat at her table, the hostess just brings us to the table) It was a hostile environment because the waitress was gossiping about my party with her fellow co-workers so they all were giving us dirty looks even though we were the victims here! I felt so uncomfortable and unwelcome and all we did was asked a question about why there was a $20 tip on our bill. This is not the feeling ANY customers wants ESPECIALLY on Mother's Day NOR the service any customers should get in any type of business!
I gave two stars to this restaurant just because the manager listened to our question without being emotional and tried to explain to us in a calm way.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank MN_food_connoisseur

Maple Grove, Minnesota
“A little pricey, but fantastic food and great service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We went there for the first time and it greatly exceeded our expectations, starting with how busy it was on a wintery Saturday night two days after a blizzard that left roads a little hazardous AND given that it is tucked away in a strip mall next to a Penney's store. We had about a 15 minute wait to be seated. I should qualify that while my wife is a big sushi and Asian food persion, I am not, and usually just consider it okay. Since we live in the area, we did have a coupon for $ off hibachi meals, so we ordered those in addition to getting drinks and a side of sushi. The hibachi meals come with two jumbo shrimp, some greens and veggies, and a bowl of rice with sauce in addition to what you select for the meal, so for instance I ordered the shrimp and scallop hibachi dinner and got all the forementioned included. The included jumbo shrimp were not so jumbo compared to the shrimp with the meal, but that's my only complaint. The rice and sauce was delicious as was the rest of the meal. I ended up with enough leftovers for another meal, and my wife might squeeze two out of hers. The service was great - very helpful and attentive.

Without the coupon our meals would have been a little on the high side, so if you live in the general area, keep an eye out for them. If you have an appetite, the all you can eat options are the way to go, but for a normal portioned meal are a bit pricey as well.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank parksvisitor
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Over priced & pretentious”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

I went there for lunch, wasn't impressed. Maybe it was because I'm not familiar with the format. The menu didn't give you much info beyond the name of each dish. I found the place completely lacking atmosphere, it felt that it was trying way to hard to be cool. I won't be going back.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Ferrytrip
Rogers, Minnesota
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

This has become our number place to when the family is going out to eat. We don't go out that often so when we do I am looking for great food at a great price. Kyoto offers both. The food is always fresh and delicious. The options offer something for everyone. Even if you don't like sushi you would find something that you like. They offer teppanyaki which is very good. I can honestly sat that we have not had anything bad here. Service is great. All they ask is that you eat what you order and not waste food. A reasonable request.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Gregg P
Robbinsdale, Minnesota
“All you can eat is the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

This all you can eat is the best because they cook and make the food as it's ordered so it's hot and just made so it's not been sitting like other all you can eat places.
The food is always good when we go there, The Kyoto roll is our favorite, Keep up the great work.

• Visited November 2013